Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Defence II and BTF Joo Sae Hyuk. Diffirences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Madridwalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madridwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Defence II and BTF Joo Sae Hyuk. Diffirences
    Posted: 01/26/2015 at 5:39pm
What diffirences are between this blade. I have JSH but i want buy my 2 blade and i would like something slow abaout def+/all- 

2 quastion
What diffirences are between a new defence and old defence ?
Sponsored Links

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 7:04pm
Defence II is a terrible blade for the 40mm ball.  Worked well for the 38mm ball though.  I will not use it for the 40+ plastic ball either.  For something slower than JSH, I like the Donic Defplay Senso, as well as the Yasaka Sweeper.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Madridwalker Madridwalker wrote:

What diffirences are between this blade. I have JSH but i want buy my 2 blade and i would like something slow abaout def+/all- 

2 quastion
What diffirences are between a new defence and old defence ?

The defense II is a traditional softish willow defensive blade. The JSH is an enlarged OFF- hard countering blade.

The former is close to your stated speed pref. The Defplay is ~ALL oversized looping blade.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

The. The JSH is an enlarged OFF- hard countering blade.

I've seen you mention this before. I might agree, I might not. I'm not really sure. Can you expand on this?

If it is an enlarged OFF- does that not mean it is slower than your average OFF- blade? I certainly think the Joo Saehyuk blade is better for chopping than say a Primorac OFF-. Yet at the same time I can definitely see how one might consider this OFF- as it is harder than most defensive blades and can attack quite fast. It's just that I feel that labeling it OFF- is misleading as it's an excellent blade for a modern defensive style.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 11:20pm
It's constructed similarly to other OFF- offensive blades. The size doesn't effect the speed other than it's heavier and harder to swing, so I guess it's "slower" and therefore somewhat better control because you're hitting the ball slower. You can replicate this effect on other blades by using really heavy rubbers.

Also worth mentioning is that soft traditional def blades aren't that slow per se. The whole thing is made of softer wood for bit slower speed and better control on low impact shots but they're not that thin so there's some punch on hard hits. You can do the same with all cypress/hinoki, heavier cuts of balsa, or any other softer wood. Contrast this to the typical more linear lighter-core harder-outer looping blade design.

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 12:07am
The Defence II is a strange blade.  The bottom 1/5 of the blade face (plus the handle) is made of 5 plies, but the top 4/5 of the blade face is made of traditional 3 plies of willow wood.  The speed is faster than any traditional 3-ply willow wood chopping blade on the market.  There's a distinctive non-linear feel in trying to perform a heavy chop or strong loop.

Edited by roundrobin - 01/27/2015 at 12:11am
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 12:39am

It's constructed similarly to other OFF- offensive blades. The size doesn't effect the speed other than it's heavier and harder to swing, so I guess it's "slower" and therefore somewhat better control because you're hitting the ball slower. You can replicate this effect on other blades by using really heavy rubbers.

Also worth mentioning is that soft traditional def blades aren't that slow per se. The whole thing is made of softer wood for bit slower speed and better control on low impact shots but they're not that thin so there's some punch on hard hits. You can do the same with all cypress/hinoki, heavier cuts of balsa, or any other softer wood. Contrast this to the typical more linear lighter-core harder-outer looping blade design.

Interesting, this makes sense to me and I agree. Also, the heavier weight might improve chopping because it works with your arm and gravity to strike downwards.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 1:15am
Well, heavier things don't really fall faster, but your point is right because at least it's not working against you as when lifting the racket.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 1:17am

Well, heavier things don't really fall faster, but your point is right because at least it's not working against you as when lifting the racket.

Right, I understand heavier things don't fall faster but heavier things make your arm want to fall faster. I tried to word it with emphasis on the arm.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 1:29am
> heavier things make your arm want to fall faster

Your arm is also the same kind of mass not falling any faster. The heavier racket is still harder to chop downwards when you (in addition to gravity) is providing the force. It's also harder to chop less downwards than 9.8m/s^2, because you're providing upwards force.

How gravity works is it provides a force perfectly corresponding any amount of mass to accelerate it at the same rate, for free. Whereas anything else needs to use its own (more) energy to accelerate faster (or slower) than this.

Edited by AgentHEX - 01/27/2015 at 1:30am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 2:22am
My limited knowledge of physics prevents me from completely understanding your comment. My area of expertise is in social science, not natural science. Though I think I understand the overall gist of it.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic