Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Endurance workouts advice?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 10:25am
Originally posted by geardaddy geardaddy wrote:

I did some riding down your way a couple years ago.  Perfect time of year down there.  Didn't make it to the Fountain Hills area, rather mostly mountain biking South Mountain (which was excellent) and did the South Mountain road climb on a road bike too (Awesome climb!)
Thumbs Up I live less than a mile away from one of the South Mountain trailheads so I go riding almost every day after work. I think that mountain biking in particular is a very good excercise since not only do you work on your endurance but you also increase leg strenght; both are good thing fro table tennis. Also, I go hiking/climbing/scrambling once a week and this has also helped me in many ways like increased endurance and leg strength but also improved balance. These are all good workouts for table tennis.
I don't like running since it messes up my knees.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Sponsored Links

Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Somewhat off-topic, but I've been having some knee issues off my right (push-off) leg.  I kind of thought patella tendinitis.  

My doctor suggested doubling up on ibuprofen to start.  She also suggested that the root of my problems are an imbalance in the strength of my front legs (quads) vs the back legs (hamstring.)

This describes me to a T.  In basketball, I was perhaps the weakest with the hamstring curls, but was perhaps the strongest when I turned over and did the leg kick-out.

She gave me a paper with some exercises, but the good ones seemed to involved gym equipment (hamstring curls.)  The paper suggested not to try to do squat type exercises that take the thigh below parallel to the ground.

So I've been doing three sets of 50 reverse-punches out of a horse stance daily.  That works the hamstrings I think.  Any better suggestions?

Cole,

I hate to play Devil's Advocate here, but I strongly disagree with your doctor's advice to avoid below parallel squats.  Most doctors know very little to nothing in regards to proper barbell weight training. There is a book written by one of the most recognized strength coaches in the USA, Mark Rippetoe, which debunks this old myth pretty thoroughly.  

The problem with below parallel squats is not the exercise itself, but that most people don't know how to perform them correctly.  I have no PCL ligament in my right knee and below parallel back squats have helped me the most.
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic