Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheaper rubbers that can compete with ESN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheaper rubbers that can compete with ESN
    Posted: 03/01/2015 at 12:38pm
Ok, here's one for all the EJ's out there.

I like playing with ESN rubbers and believe they do give a competitive advantage over most others (apart from Tenergy or H3 boosted). 

However, for a few friends of mine I am searching for alternatives with a Max Budget is around 25-30 USD per rubber - no ESN even if they fall within that range.

Are there any alternatives from Yihne / Galaxy , DHS, or any other company that will allow them (good players with good technique) to compete effectively against ESN rubber users? (These are players used to ESN products, therefore the feel has to be at least a bit similar)

So far I have recommended the Sanwei T-88i, but it is still quite hard and does not quite feel like an ESN rubber. 

I have seen Galaxy Moon Speed / Pro might be a good alternative to ESN stuff. Any others? 

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Sponsored Links

asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 12:59pm
im a huge Xiom fan. Esp Omega IV pro. Mine are very old. Ive used my friends moon pro (that he said he paid 39$ from megaspin 2 years ago) and for a 2 year old rubber, this thing played like a beast. I went ahead and ordered a moon pro yesterday. It's for my forehand tho. My BH will probably be an esn rubber. Preferbly Omega IV Pro (price has decreased significantly. under 35$ now) also seeing crazy good reviews of tenzone ultra sf which happens to be ano esn rubber.
How long have you used your p7 for? is it durable ?

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 1:08pm
P7 is very durable, if playing like 2 /3 times per week in league matches or practice play, without real multiball training - it can give you a good year at 70%. 1st 6 months will be at least at 85%. It's spin does not come so much only from it's topsheet, so even when the topsheet does not grip that much anymore, you still retain a lot of the spin.

However, I would like to Keep this thread about rubbers like Yihne / Galaxy and stuff which is not ESN (not XIOM, Adidas etc) - to find out which alternatives play well enough to replace an ESN rubber.
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 1:10pm
I like any of the DHS Neos on my FH $22 and IQUL SV or reg 1.8mm to 2mm on my BH $16.   With shipping in the US it is about $40.  There is nothing special about any of these rubbers except they last and don't seem to get slick spots that cause them to lose grip. The people I practice with couldn't tell the difference between me playing with the DHS NEO and IQUL and me playing with T05.  I will admit it took a little extra effort from me to get the same results. On the plus side the cheap rubbers don't respond to my errors in stroke as much as the T05 does.

The IQUL quality seems to be pretty consistent.  I like the fact I can order different sponge hardnesses and thickness.  The DHS quality is not quite there.  I have seen the thickness of the sponges vary so that a 2.15mm is thicker than a sponge that is supposed to be 2.2mm.

CipheR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CipheR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 1:10pm
TG3/TG2 Boosted. ha ha ha
ㅈㅈ지지ㅎㅎㅋㅋ
Nittaku Custom Blade
FH: Neo Hurricane 3 Provincial
BH: Xiom Musa
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 1:21pm
 Palio Macro Era is an ESN with your price point.  The other rubbers to consider would be Mark V HPS.   Also Cole has the Big Dipper which has had good reviews.  
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 1:21pm
But does it give an ESN like feel when boosted? 

Originally posted by CipheR CipheR wrote:

TG3/TG2 Boosted. ha ha ha
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 2:03pm
Palio Blitz for 28 dollars at ttnpp.com
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Clarence247 Clarence247 wrote:

I like playing with ESN rubbers and believe they do give a competitive advantage over most others (apart from Tenergy or H3 boosted). 

However, for a few friends of mine I am searching for alternatives with a Max Budget is around 25-30 USD per rubber - no ESN even if they fall within that range.

Are there any alternatives from Yihne / Galaxy , DHS, or any other company that will allow them (good players with good technique) to compete effectively against ESN rubber users? (These are players used to ESN products, therefore the feel has to be at least a bit similar)

So far I have recommended the Sanwei T-88i, but it is still quite hard and does not quite feel like an ESN rubber. 

I have seen Galaxy Moon Speed / Pro might be a good alternative to ESN stuff. Any others? 

Moon pro is tacky, and in general the non-tack Yinhe rubbers are more like slow tenergy than ESN, not that there's anything wrong with that.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 3:13pm
I know the topic talks about inverted rubbers but I will give my opinion about short pips.
There is a SP rubber from Yasaka called Xtend PO which can not only match high-priced ESN SP, but surpass them any day. I tried Rakza PO, Moristo SP, Xiom Zava and Raystorm. All failed to perform like Xtend PO did. Xtend gives a better control when hitting and blocking passively. Its speed is more than enough to kill the ball. I found Rakza and Moristo faster but with much poorer control.
Touch is also different with Xtend. Other 4 fell very soft while Xtend fells a bit harder. In my opinion this harder touch allows the rubber to excels when hitting, making it a nice crisp and solid stroke.
I can´t see myself playing with another short pip but Xtend PO.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 1:30am
Everyone is talking about blitz and thors, but I nearly forgot that the biotech 36-38 cj8000 from palio is also a 'tensor' rubber. Take the label 'tensor' for what you will. 12 for 2 sheets . Im sold!

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 1:40am
I have brand new GEWO Flexxon rubber at 30 USD. Let me know if you interested (only few left)
My feedback : http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58844&PN=1#726094
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 4:48am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I know the topic talks about inverted rubbers but I will give my opinion about short pips.
There is a SP rubber from Yasaka called Xtend PO which can not only match high-priced ESN SP, but surpass them any day. I tried Rakza PO, Moristo SP, Xiom Zava and Raystorm. All failed to perform like Xtend PO did. Xtend gives a better control when hitting and blocking passively. Its speed is more than enough to kill the ball. I found Rakza and Moristo faster but with much poorer control.
Touch is also different with Xtend. Other 4 fell very soft while Xtend fells a bit harder. In my opinion this harder touch allows the rubber to excels when hitting, making it a nice crisp and solid stroke.
I can´t see myself playing with another short pip but Xtend PO.
That's an interesting opinion, considering the Xtend PO is in and of itself a 3G Tensor.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 8:04am
I quite like the Nittaku Flyatt (Japan) and Fastarc S1 (Germany) pair. If you buy enough you can get discount to bring the price down to about $25 each from TT11. Some decent Donic rubbers are in that price range too. For Chinese rubbers the DHS Tinarc 5 is a good one but heavy. Or if you like tacky and hard then you can't get better performance for the price of Yinhe Big Dipper. Tacky and soft, that would be the new DHS TG3-60. 
mahomedy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahomedy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

Everyone is talking about blitz and thors, but I nearly forgot that the biotech 36-38 cj8000 from palio is also a 'tensor' rubber. Take the label 'tensor' for what you will. 12 for 2 sheets . Im sold!

To be honest,I wasn't impressed with this rubber at all.it was slow,and a bit lacking in spin.its just like a normal preboosted chinese rubber,except that the topsheet is only slightly tacky
FlatHitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlatHitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 12:45pm
juic 999series...sticky and fun rubbers...

If your phone is'nt ringing, it's probably me...
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 4:58pm
THE EPOCH OVERTAKES ESN.

http://www.epoch-tt.com

EPOCH.
Renowned factory of China to develop pingpang sponge with tensored effect. They are truly experts at the tensor production..
BOMB labeled rubbers would emulate ESN products pretty well, best agreeable pricing.
cheondo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 5:02pm
I thought that Gambler Outlaw was pretty impressive. Air Illumina is also pretty good. I know a 1800 level guy who used Outlaw and I thought he was using an ESN or Tensor. I was really surprised to see it was cheap ol' Outlaw. 

Honestly, I think TG3 Neo is better -- much spinnier and more powerful, but it's obviously not that ESN feel that you're looking for. 

If you're recommending rubbers for your friends, I take it that they're not playing at a very high level, so what's the big deal? Any of these rubbers would be fine up to elite levels of play, assuming that you know how to use them (the Chinese tacky ones, I mean). I use TG3 Neo and do fine around 2000 level. I never feel like I'm at disadvantage with it. 

Edited by cheondo - 03/02/2015 at 5:07pm
Primorac Carbon + P7
Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70427&title=feedback-cheondo
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

THE EPOCH OVERTAKES ESN.

EPOCH.
Renowned factory of China to develop pingpang sponge with tensored effect. They are truly experts at the tensor production..
BOMB labeled rubbers would emulate ESN products pretty well, best agreeable pricing.

Yeah, right. Who wouldn't want to play with a rubber called "Tensa" or "Mopha" ...
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

Palio Macro Era is an ESN with your price point.  The other rubbers to consider would be Mark V HPS.   Also Cole has the Big Dipper which has had good reviews.  
Don't get the Marco Era (24 usd @ ttnpp), Marco Era is too soft (slow) for the new 40+ ball (I was a big fan of Marco Era), get Biltz (28 usd @ ttnpp) or  Thor's (24 usd @ ttnpp) or Rhyam (~$30 usd @ tt-japan) .
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

THE EPOCH OVERTAKES ESN.

EPOCH.

Yeah, right. Who wouldn't want to play with a rubber called "Tensa" or "Mopha" ...

Be thankful they didn't call it "Mofo" Big smile
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 5:59pm
Mopha et al are phonetic romanization from chinese.
stevenjlyang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevenjlyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 10:08pm
they are different style rubber, ESN, Japanese and chinese rubber. 
ZJK ALC 90g: T80 + T05FX
Boll ALC 89g: AIROC M + Calibra LT Spin
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 10:19pm
I am having good results switching to 729 Battle (non-tacky) from Tenergy. Used Tenergy 05 for about 1yr. For cost reason I wanted to change. Don't seem to need any dramatic changes in technique. Battle seems much closer to T05 than the 40deg yellow sponge IQUL I tried first. Have some 39deg Big Dipper coming soon to try out also.

Mark
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2015 at 4:00am
Originally posted by Clarence247 Clarence247 wrote:

However, for a few friends of mine I am searching for alternatives with a<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> Max Budget is around 25-30 USD per rubber - no ESN even if they fall within that range.</span>

ESN is fairly cheap, no?
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
laki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2015 at 6:06am
Three rubbers come to my mind when I read the headline of the thread...I'm thinking of non-tacky, or slightly tacky speedy rubbers.
First is LKT Rapid Speed, a great allround rubber that has been around for a while, and it seems that everybody likes it, some more some less. Completely non tacky. Medium hard feel. Price in the neighborhood of 10 euros a piece. This strikes me as a rubber that is very good at everything, but not exceeding in anything. As I said, a great all-rounder.
Second is Friendship 729 Aurora. A new rubber from 729 RITC that is already getting lots of positive feedback from users. Haven't used it myself, but I'm planing to try it in the near future, just to see what is all the fuss about. Price around 15 euros.
And if you wanna go really cheep, go with Galaxy/Yinhe Mercury 2. I love the soft version of this rubber (33-35 deg), and the price is somewhere around 3.5 to 5 euros a piece. Amazing. The feel is medium soft. It has great spin capabilities and the speed somewhere similar to, lets say, Donic Acuda S3, maybe even a bit faster. This rubber is slightly tacky when new (tackiness fades away shortly). If you like harder feel, you can chose the hardness when you order: soft (33-35), medium (36-38) or hard (39-41).
Both LKT Rapid Speed and Mercury 2 (soft version) are not heavy rubbers. In max thickness, cut for Clipper wood, both vary between 43 to 45 grams per sheet. For Aurora I'm not sure, but it seems that (according to reviews) it is a medium heavy rubber as well.

Edited by laki - 03/03/2015 at 6:13am
Stiga Clipper CC
FH: Xiom Vega Pro
BH: Joola X-plode
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2015 at 7:50am
Mercury 2 is basically cheap/non-durable H3 and nothing like ESNs.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2015 at 7:51am
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

ESN is fairly cheap, no?

Compared to what? Tenergy?
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 11:41am
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

ESN is fairly cheap, no?

Compared to what? Tenergy?
If you get 729 or Palio ESN, they are very reasonable. 
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 3:56pm
In general ESN is most expensive rubber other than Tenergy. I guess usually 40-50 per sheet isn't too much in grand scheme of things, but it is small piece of mass-produced sponge rubber.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic