Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheaper rubbers that can compete with ESN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2015 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

Agree. Tenergy lasts so long, you will save tons of money and time in the long run. Also, Tenergy keeps very well in storage and on the racket. Esn rubbers like bluefire go dead unopened in the package after a few months. I've probably wasted thousands of dollars trying rubbers, if I was smarter, I would have bought a few sheets of Tenergy. So buying Tenergy will give you a 10x return on your investment(time and money). Ejaying on inconsistent crap that doesn't last/needs constant boosting, will destroy your wallet and free time.

10x? Absolute nonsense.

Few sheets of Tenergy vs. thousands of dollars and wasted time ejaying on crappy rubbers. A one year old Tenergy is imo superior to many one week old esn rubbers. I had a 4 year old Tenergy that could beat the crap out of any new rubber under $40. 
Sponsored Links

hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2015 at 2:44pm

Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Agree. Tenergy lasts so long, you will save tons of money and time in the long run. Also, Tenergy keeps very well in storage and on the racket. Esn rubbers like bluefire go dead unopened in the package after a few months. I've probably wasted thousands of dollars trying rubbers, if I was smarter, I would have bought a few sheets of Tenergy. So buying Tenergy will give you a 10x return on your investment(time and money). Ejaying on inconsistent crap that doesn't last/needs constant boosting, will destroy your wallet and free time.

10x? Absolute nonsense.

Few sheets of Tenergy vs. thousands of dollars and wasted time ejaying on crappy rubbers. A one year old Tenergy is imo superior to many one week old esn rubbers. I had a 4 year old Tenergy that could beat the crap out of any new rubber under $40. 

In your opinion and for your game.  Not everyone likes the same rubber.  While I find Tenergy to last a very long time, I don't play any better with it.  I would argue that I actually play worse with Tenergy.  There's nothing worse than catching Tenergy on the table and throwing $60 down the drain.  I'm not happy when my $20 rips, but it's not nearly as bad.
Not everyone needs/wants to use the most expensive equipment out there.  Just because something costs more, doesn't mean it's better for your game.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2015 at 2:59pm

If you only have two options - Tenergy or a $1000 EJ spree - then you need to have a think about how you evaluate options. Because you need to compare one rubber to another, not one rubber to a shopping cart full of rubbers.

Your statements are hyperbolic, bordering on frothy madman chin wobbling. There is no way that a one year old Tenergy is superior to a one week old ESN. I can't think of a single feature of a rubber where that even makes sense. And that's without getting to a 4 year old sheet compared to a BRAND NEW sheet with a $40 budget. Just insane.

Now, I'm not nuts. I know Tenergy is great, and is quite durable in the general scheme of things. But performance-wise the latest ESN crop, and a few budget Chinese options, get very close. Close enough to not really matter at a non-elite level. And they are a LOT cheaper than Tenergy, and are available in an open international marketplace.

I happen to play a lot better (more consistent, mainly) with any recent ESN than I do with Tenergy, so I'm in the happy position to save money while simultaneously making the right choice for my game and level. But that's just me.

Your opinion is (of course) your own, and you're welcome to it. But I would hope that it's a minority one. The idea that Tenergy is so far and away from everything else on the market is just hype at this point in time, and a hype which lines BTY's pockets.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2015 at 3:00pm
Maybe it is me, but the more expensive the rubber the more my paddle tends to gravitate towards the table on those half long serves. But a 20 dollar a sheet rubber on my blade and I couldn't hit the edge of the table if I tried!Clap
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2015 at 3:42pm
This debate I'm sure could drag on forever, but here's an interesting anecdote ...

This is the blade I've been using for the last few months:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12215455&cp=4406646.4425420.12208429

I had these cheap paddles at home for others to use.  The inverted rubber that was on them was horrible, i.e. pretty dead and reaaaally slow.  So, I peeled off the rubber and put some hardbat stuff on them, and they played half way decent.  Well, I decided to take some higher quality sheets of inverted and put them on one of these cheapo paddles as a backup.  Lo and behold, I really liked how it played!  I'm actually liking it more than the Waldner Senso Carbon that I was using (which I still like).  The speed is just a tad slower, but the softer feel just seems so much better to me overall.

Lately I've been getting some good wins off of higher rated players (2100+ rated players).  It's not all about the equipment, rather I've also just been playing better.  But I'm putting it into perspective.  The blade I'm using is a $10 paddle.  Clearly $$$ does not equal performance.

I don't use Tenergy either (currently using Xiom, which I have been liking).  It's not about the price.  EJ all you want.  It's a free country.  But IMO no rubber or blade is going to magically make you a better player.  It might make a small difference, but it's really all about technique.  Now, I do think that the wrong equipment can really hurt your game though.  That's why I stay completely away from just following what the pros use.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2015 at 4:04pm
The law of diminishing returns kick in pretty quickly past the better chinese rubbers. Really we're only talking about 10% or such differences between doubling of prices. People who don't believe this can do some bounce tests. After a certain # of hours the most expensive rubber equalizes with lesser ones out of the package anyway.

You also don't get that extra elasticity on big shots for free and tend to pay for it on the little ones unless you have elite touch.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic