Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Samsonov beaten..... by senior citizen??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2015 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

Sometimes to learn something effectively you need to do it in the proper environment X number of times. Playing only to win can delay what can be necessary to improve.

Right on agentHEX.  If I can gain more by practicing something in a match than by focusing on only  winning, I will go with the practice if the match is not critical to my advancing. 
Sponsored Links

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2015 at 9:59pm
Oh sure, people sacrifice their weekend, spending hundreds of dollars, if not thousands, if tournament is cross state, to do some practice match all the time, any where... Tournament is certainly not the place for them to test themselves. LOL.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2015 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Oh sure, people sacrifice their weekend, spending hundreds of dollars, if not thousands, if tournament is cross state, to do some practice match all the time, any where... Tournament is certainly not the place for them to test themselves. LOL.

Everyone has a reason for playing.  Some need the rating points, others want the trophies or money.  I play to improve my game.  I don't care if it's at the club or a tournament.  In reality almost all of my club matches are practice matches and at tournaments almost all of my matches are played to win. 

At last years U.S. Nationals I played a match against a higher rated guy with a style that I had never seen.  Since I couldn't advance out of my round robin I treated it as a practice match and tried different things.  I lost the match, but learned a little about his style.  I felt it was a good match.

Because I don't feel the pressure to win, I enjoy all my matches and tournaments.

kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 1:05am
Each time I go back to China, I play with this kind of players in the building where my family in law lives.
Old guys who sometimes have never played in competition but they play 2 hours a day for many many years.
They are nearly all hitters and with pen hold grip + LP, they should never be underestimated.

Of course, samsonov played tourist in that video
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 1:51am
Ofc it was a match just for fun , something like exhibition.Nothing to believe that Samsonov wanted to win and he lost finally!
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 7:28am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

I am sure Huang Jian Jiang is above 2300 USATT, then again he will be dq since he uses an illegally lp LOLLOLLOL
===================================

I don't think so.
Huang Jian Jiang was soundly beaten by Li Zhi-Ming (2270).  0 -- 3.

just a clash of styles, so you don't need to justify a rating, you could have 3 players with a different winner for each game, just one of those things
 Im sure Huang Jian Jiang could beat many 2400 players, he has a dangerouse style that effects some loopers timing 

but overall he is a old mall player wearing warm clothing and having fun 
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 4:00pm
> Im sure Huang Jian Jiang could beat many 2400 players

In the longer vid from my link above the commentator mentions he's competitive with provincial and lower-level national players. This guy used to play amateur circuit in Beijing with plenty of high level amateur and ex-prov competition and won tournaments.

In the same video he clowns one ex-prov player and get beat by another (Ma Lin like guy who basically won on 3rd/4th ball). These are not anywhere near 2300 players.

Edited by AgentHEX - 03/04/2015 at 4:04pm
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 4:48pm

>
Im sure <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Huang Jian Jiang could beat many 2400 players

In the longer vid from my link above the commentator mentions he's competitive with provincial and lower-level national players. This guy used to play amateur circuit in Beijing with plenty of high level amateur and ex-prov competition and won tournaments.
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">In the same video he clowns one ex-prov player and get beat by another (Ma Lin like guy who basically won on 3rd/4th ball). These are not anywhere near 2300 players.</span>

I think the average provincial player in China is "only" about 2600 USATT. Very few above 2700. Some weaker provinces may not even have 2600+ players. Just look at the imports in the US.

So a retired provincial player may very well be 2300 or below, depending on how long they have been out of full time practice.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 5:04pm
These aren't fully retired guys given their age and the fact they still play the tournament scene. You can judge the quality of their play (footwork, short game, strokes) from the link above with the usual disclaimer expert LP game makes opponents look bad. There are other WJJ vids on the web against guys who appear to be system-trained.

The guy mentioned who managed to beat WJJ is significantly above 2500 and does well against that style. He was the last player in a WJJ vs "high-level" invitational and WJJ was also visibly tired at that point.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2015 at 2:17pm
AgentHEX said:  Did you even watch the video.

AgentHEX has no idea how that video even got into this forum.  I’ll fill you in. When ZingyDNA mentioned that he remembered he saw a video that WJJ was beaten by Li Zhi-Ming, I was the one who requested ZingyDNA to find it. He kindly found and posted it. It is ridiculous  to even doubt whether I watched that video.  (Btw, I watched several times.)

AgentHEX has no idea as to how important that tourney is because he can not read Chinese. It was a special event dedicated to all LP players nation-wide. WJJ teaches how to play with LP, holding many LP training camps and has many LP training videos on the web and is known as the LP master in China – he couldn’t afford to lose, as it would affect his reputation and business.  AgentHEX has absolutely no idea as to how important of that tourney is to WJJ.  It is ridiculous for him to think that WJJ was taking it lightly as Samsonov in a demo.

AgentHEX said:  “I wouldn't throw out comment on any match that I have never watched.” (Refers about me.)

I was the one who asked ZingyDNA to find that video, how could I didn’t even watch it.  This forum has this subject topics about this long time ago, it was so long ago my memory failed me - I made a mistake and said it was 3-0.  The actual result was 3-2 after replaying the said video.

Earlier link didn’t work, but this one does.

WJJ vs Li Zhi-Ming (usatt 2270):  11-5,  8-11,  12-10,  2-11, 3-11
WJJ lost.   2 to 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PELuZGUvEnk

======================================

Self-criticism:  This forum discussed WJJ, and has a video of the said match – I just remembered that Li Zhi-Ming won handily and said it was 3-0.  That’s my error, actually it was 3-2. (I learned a lesson here, next time I will check the facts first rather than just depend on memory only).

AgentHEX failed to appreciate how important that nation-wide LP Tourney held in Shanxi Province was to WJJ – affecting his business and his prestige (he teaches how to play with LP, holds LP training camps, has many LP video lessons on the web), and thus ridiculously equate Samsonov’s playing in the demo to WJJ’s in a real tournament. (About WJJ’s dress during play, you definitely have not watched many WJJ’s videos, he is old and thus has slow metabolism, that’s the dress he normally wears to play.)

AgentHEX just over-glorified LP’s effectiveness.  More likely than not that I have watched more LP matches  than AgentHEX. I actually play with LP for a number of years, and did win a couple of matches over opponents rated 300 points above me.  (I learned from this forum that when a player gets old, and can not move fast, may be its time to try LP).  But LP has its limits, when a USATT 2600+ player who will have no problems with LP, much less for Samsonov.

As to AgentHEX opinion that any one thinks WJJ is less than 2300 is clueless. You know what? People can also say that anyone thinks WJJ worth more than 2300 is just as clueless, if not more. 

(It is just personal opinion, one side can never say that the other side is clueless. We just have to respect that people have different opinions.)

Clueless folks saying other folks are clueless is not an uncommon event here.

Edited by skip3119 - 03/06/2015 at 3:03pm
skip3119
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2015 at 5:02pm
Apparently you watched that video so carefully it became a 3-0 beating in your mind, plus those thick street cloth same as Samsonov in the OP vid must've disappeared, too, and it became a serious match.

> About WJJ’s dress during play, you definitely have not watched many WJJ’s videos, he is old and thus has slow metabolism, that’s the dress he normally wears to play.)

There's several related videos in your own Youku link, plus those from mine, plus dozens demonstrating his usual dress for matches here: http://www.soku.com/search_video/q_%E9%BB%84%E5%BB%BA%E7%96%86. So anyone interested can very simply determine for themselves if any of these claims you're making are true.

Edited by AgentHEX - 03/06/2015 at 5:03pm
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2015 at 5:12pm
Yes, that's his usual dress when playing. He didn't dress any different when playing Li Zhi-Ming.

I admitted that I made a mistake that I did not check the score before I posted.
But you failed to admit that that match was important to WJJ because it was a nation-wide LP tourney - it would affect his business and reputation.

Then you kept nailing someone's mistake after someone has already admitted his error.
What a guy.  

I should have taken someone's recommendation to ignore such a person.
It is in your gene, no one can help you.

Edited by skip3119 - 03/06/2015 at 5:24pm
skip3119
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2015 at 5:19pm
Sure, just like whether that match was 3-0 this is a matter of fact easily determined by the most casual glance at the videos linked.

skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2015 at 5:28pm

Sure, just like whether that match was 3-0 this is a matter of fact easily determined by the most casual glance at the videos linked.
=============================

I admitted my error, but you didn't.
One of these days you will meet your opponent and keep on insulting one another - hope you will have a good time.

Good bye.
skip3119
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2015 at 6:03pm
He plays in street cloths in all of one other video out of dozens and a similarly casual match at that. But I guess it's not an error in your mind if you can't even be bothered with the most basic verification for all these claims.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2015 at 9:10pm
I notice you've edited some of the comments above. If anyone is serious about ascertaining WJJ's USATT rating, start with comparing opponents in pushblocker's video who're about 2200 or so to guys WJJ easily beats in the numerous matches online and see if they're anywhere near the same level.

I can't see how anyone who's ever watched higher level TT can claim this guy is <2300.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2015 at 3:40am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Not true.
Players that love the sport and the social interaction do anything they want. Tournaments are not life and death. They are simply a part of enjoying the sport.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic