FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Haifu Shark II durability?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Haifu Shark II durability?
    Posted: 03/05/2015 at 12:44am
After reading many reviews, I think Shark II would be perfect for me. But one thing that I need cleared up is the durability of this rubber. I was wondering if anyone could kindly put their two cents in.
If you can also recommend me a website ( i see ttnpp has it for 24$) hopefully in the USA, anywhere else is fine too, for the medium hardness sponge (35-36 ?). Did the price go up ? I might be wrong but was under the impression this was under $20 at one point.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Sponsored Links

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 12:59am
I've never seen it for less than $20 unless it was a training (failed QC) version

Durability is pretty good. Consistency from sheet to sheet is not. I bought several sheets and got several different rubbers Ermm
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 1:02am
Damn. IF you don't mind me asking , did you buy from different websites? perhaps you can guide me in the right direction.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 1:08am
Always from ttnpp. Some didn't think it was that different from sheet to sheet. But personally, once they switched to the yellow sponge, it wasn't as good as it was for a while with the red sponge and super thin topsheet
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 1:24am
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

Always from ttnpp. Some didn't think it was that different from sheet to sheet. But personally, once they switched to the yellow sponge, it wasn't as good as it was for a while with the red sponge and super thin topsheet

now I'm worried :/

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 1:29am
It's been a few years since I bought a sheet. I got fed up with Haifu's mixed bag of production. 

I have no idea what the consistency is like today. Given that they are producing rubbers for Tibhar and Donic that are rebadged, I always wondered if what goes into Haifu packaging is just oddball stuff.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 1:51am

It's been a few years since I bought a sheet. I got fed up with Haifu's mixed bag of production. 

I have no idea what the consistency is like today. Given that they are producing rubbers for Tibhar and Donic that are rebadged, I always wondered if what goes into Haifu packaging is just oddball stuff.

only if they actually took the same level of care into producing their stuff, I wouldn't have to be so worried lol.  I thought about buying tuttle beijing IV for BH, but thats just too soft. Im coming from Omega IV pro max ( believe it to be 47.5) I think 42-44 would be perfect for me. But thats in Esn scale. I'm not too sure if that converts to a 37-38 in most Chinese manufacturers.
Any recommendations? Im looking for average speed. Not many chinese rubbers can compete with esn speed. I'm aware of that. I just want to get by with spin and control lol.
thought about 729 aurora( tensor i believe)  and Battle 1. even focus III snipe from colestt. I'm just on the verge of ripping my hair off.

Edit: one more thing. I ruined my omega IV with wd-40. for anyone that's thinking about using that stuff to clean their top sheet. Do NOT even think about it!

Edited by asifgunz - 03/05/2015 at 1:52am

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 3:02am
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

Im coming from Omega IV pro max ( believe it to be 47.5) I think 42-44 would be perfect for me. But thats in Esn scale. I'm not too sure if that converts to a 37-38 in most Chinese manufacturers.
Any recommendations? Im looking for average speed. Not many chinese rubbers can compete with esn speed. I'm aware of that. I just want to get by with spin and control lol.

Palio Blit'z 42.
http://ttnpp.com/store/german-style/495-palio-blit-z-42-made-in-germany-6.html

I've bought probably twenty sheets over the last several years; all from ttnpp. Ultra consistent in production and very durable.

Can't go wrong with Blit'z 42

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 3:03am
Yes, still ESN...but at $28 it's worth the extra bucks
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 11:34am

Yes, still ESN...but at $28 it's worth the extra bucks

with shipping comes up to about 32ish. If that's the case, I would be more inclined to buy rasant grip for 32 :P/ I was hoping for something near 20

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 11:56am
Then you might talk to Cole about his latest versions of Air Illumina. Every time I see him and I try the latest, it's obvious they're getting better and better
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 12:01pm

The current Shark 2 batch uses a glorious golden orange sponge. It's different once again - I'd lazily categorise it as a halfway house between the fabled red sponge version and the laser-focussed yellow sponged version.

It's a good rubber, but how long until a new version escapes Haifu's mad chemistry lab?
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 12:20pm
theologian , would you be able to compare the illumina to any friendship rubbers?  perhaps aurora ( supposedly tensor) or battle 1 , or focus 3 snipe?

ha ha Andy you have a point there!

Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

The current Shark 2 batch uses a glorious golden orange sponge. It's different once again - I'd lazily categorise it as a halfway house between the fabled red sponge version and the laser-focussed yellow sponged version.

It's a good rubber, but how long until a new version escapes Haifu's mad chemistry lab?

I've had two yellow sponged versions with completely different top sheets, why they can't just change the name slightly when they change the formula I have no idea.

In answer to the original question, all the Shark II's I have had have been pretty durable, this does however mean that by the time they are worn out Haifu have brought out a new version, which is why I stopped using them.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 1:04pm
how would you compare it to your Grip S ? I've heard that Haifu actually makes the rubber for Tibhar.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 6:04pm

theologian , would you be able to compare the illumina to any friendship rubbers?  perhaps aurora ( supposedly tensor) or battle 1 , or focus 3 snipe?

ha ha Andy you have a point there!

haven't used any of those friendship rubbers... or any friendship rubbers in years. Well, other than the $5 basic 729 that's good for making cheap durable bats for folks who still pay $80 for Stiga premades
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 6:05pm

how would you compare it to your Grip S ? I've heard that Haifu actually makes the rubber for Tibhar.

Yes, and they make the Donic Traction series (which Donic conveniently charges an arm and a leg for... or at least the retailers do)
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2015 at 2:09am

Grip S is more like Whale II. Whale II also changes from sheet to sheet, so I thought I would try the Tibhar so hopefully I can get the same thing again if I want to. I think Whale II is slightly more typical of a Chinese style rubber, I prefer it as a forehand rubber.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic