FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Critique needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The soul of rock View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Critique needed
    Posted: 03/14/2015 at 4:00pm
Finally recorded my game for the first time and after watching it I realized I have a lot of problems to work on. It would be nice if you can spend sometimes to watch my clips and give me some pointers. I'm the guy in white (well, I know I'm supposed not to wear white clothes, but this is just a club friendly game). Cheers

Edited by The soul of rock - 03/14/2015 at 5:01pm
Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
My feedback
Sponsored Links

berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2015 at 4:43pm
Cheers, the soul of rock.  How long have you been playing table tennis.  Overall, your game is not all that bad, although there are a few things you might want to consider working on.

Your fh and bh counterdrives look to me pretty decent, and you have good power off of both sides.  Away from the table, however, you'll need to work on counterlooping an opponent's loop with more spin, both fh and bh.  Particularly on your backhand side, you tend to stroke fairly flat when away from the table.  Work on the mid-distance aspect of your game, as it will give you more time to react to your opponent's loops, enable you to employ wider angles to pull your opponent outside of his court, and give you greater length on your own loops.

On service, you need not finish your service follow-through at head height or higher, as you sometimes tend to do.  Virtually all of your serves and your opponent's serves were long, inviting the possibility of an aggressive return.  Work on developing a double-bounce serve, a short underspin/sidespin serve, and a short no-spin serve.

When receiving serve, you hold your racket pointing downward somewhat too close to the floor, then, sometimes before your opponent completes his serve, you straighten up and attempt a backhand return.  Were I your opponent, and noticed that characteristic, I would serve deep into your backhand (in general) and try to elicit a block rather than a loop return.  Raise your playing hand a bit, and don't prematurely arise from your crouch before your opponent has contacted the ball, as a wily opponent who notices this tendency may try to serve deep to your bh, or wide to your fh, would could create problems for you. 

Develop reliable footwork so that you may make more forehand returns of serve.  Except for an occasional push, I did not notice many aggressive forehand returns of service from you.  Your backhand return of service when playing close to the table didn't look to me all that bad, but try to use your forehand a bit more when returning serve, as for most players it is a more powerful and spinnier stroke.
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2015 at 4:59pm
Thanks for your response, berndt_mann. I've played TT for like 2 and a half years, kinda regret starting too late. 

You're absolutely correct about my FH receiving and serving. I'm still working hard on them. I tend to use my BH to counterloop on the BH side, but not against this particular friend. His loop is heavily spin oriented, which I found better to return flat, close to the table. I was experimenting something different today, though. I guess I could just switch to the FH to counter, but my problem is I lose stamina fastly and tend to play passively later in the match (the 2nd video starts from the 3rd set), so I for most of the time just standing there using my BH and sometimes block with my FH. May be I should take more exercises. 

Edited by The soul of rock - 03/14/2015 at 5:00pm
Viscaria FL
-------
My feedback
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2015 at 5:44pm
1.  serve:
a,  mix up your toss some high others a bit lower don't let the opponent time your toss
b.  need badly short serves as berndt mentioned critical unless you want to play a rally game and are prepared for that
c.  receiving BH, move, don't reach, the ball should be center of your body  
d.  Pushes were weak no spin lacked  technique and also lacked good placement, make your opponent move and keep the pushes lower, much lower!
e.  it also appears that you squat down when receiving some BH, creates plenty of footwork issues among others
F.  blocks were not placed well
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2015 at 7:39pm
Short serves are about to get extinct, the bh flip/flick have turned the table here, so most people prefer to serve medium long, with the secon bounce close to endline.

But, one obvious thing I noticed was that you use the lazy mans cheat, bending your back rather then your legs. Also, from the first video (interesting angle) watch your feet during the fh-fh warm up drill. Its like you find a good stance and then refuses to move. Reason I noticed both of these things is because I see them in my own game.
The holy grail
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2015 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Short serves are about to get extinct, the bh flip/flick have turned the table here, so most people prefer to serve medium long, with the secon bounce close to endline.

But, one obvious thing I noticed was that you use the lazy mans cheat, bending your back rather then your legs. Also, from the first video (interesting angle) watch your feet during the fh-fh warm up drill. Its like you find a good stance and then refuses to move. Reason I noticed both of these things is because I see them in my own game.

@ speed: what U describe is still considered a short serve:

Larry Hodges

One of the most fundamental rules of serving is that you have to be able to serve short. A deep serve may be effective against some players, and up to a certain level, it may always be, but if you cannot serve short, you will always be handicapped against most good players.

A short serve is a serve that, if allowed, would bounce twice on the far side of the table. Because of this, a short serve cannot be looped like a deep serve because the table is in the way. This forces the receiver to reach over the table to return the serve, which can be awkward, especially on the forehand side. Even a chopper has more trouble, because he can’t dig into the serve with the table in the way. The chopper’s return will have far less backspin than off a deep serve.

There are many types of short serves, with advantages and disadvantages to each. You can serve very short so that the ball bounces very close to the net. You can serve a short serve so that its second bounce would be near the endline. You can serve sidespin, spinning either right or left, combined with topspin or chop, or else a pure topspin or chop serve. You can serve to the wide angles, to the middle, or anywhere in between. There are endless varieties and you should be able to use most of them.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2015 at 8:53pm
Here is the video of me playing today. My friend took the clip by his cellphone, so that's why my opponent in those clips is always him. I tried to bend my legs instead of my back but I don't think I did a good job here. I would really appreciate if you guys could watch the clip and give me some advice again. Cheers!

P/s: I really like the point at 10:22. It's the very first time my BH counterloop against FH loop ever been recored Tongue

Edited by The soul of rock - 03/21/2015 at 8:54pm
Viscaria FL
-------
My feedback
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2015 at 9:46pm
Hat Soul of rock, just wanting to improve means you will get better and even watching your own video's you will pick up lots of information and make some changes yourself
 I think stratergy and effort are two things that can assist you, you did a couple of short toper serves during these games for great effect but patchy reward, so learn to serve for a reason (the reason is what is good for you) you may want them to topspin it back so you can practice counter hits, you may want to deceive them and focus on third ball attack, you may want to do every serve the same everytime, in order to learn a patern to help your third ball shots, every serve should be im going to do this and if it works out Im attacking next, I could say things like at such and such time your forehand loop wasn't good because you didn't finish your salute, but us social players can only fix up these things ourselves, maybe finding a coach to take you and your mates in a squad training once a week

when bored try some backhand serves
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 9:15pm
Thank you a lot, smackman. I'm sorry for this kind of late response as I just had a ton of assigments to do/grade and haven't really looked back at this thread. 

I'm now working hard on multiball drills to improve my footwook. I realized that I might have overused my BH and I really want to get the footwork improved to get to use my FH loop more often. Hopefully I can take a clip or two this Saturday to ask for some more advice on my footwork. 

Just out of curiousity, what do you think my USATT would be? I know it's like asking for flame, but just couldn't help it Tongue
Viscaria FL
-------
My feedback
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2015 at 12:09pm
This is my clip from the last session of my club this school year. I tried to use my FH more frequently and realzied that I need to work a lot more on its consistency, as well as my footwook. I can loop 2-3 times in a rallies and then my FH just goes out of control. I would really appreciate to receive your inputs as well. Thanks as always :D

Viscaria FL
-------
My feedback
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2015 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by The soul of rock The soul of rock wrote:

Thank you a lot, smackman. I'm sorry for this kind of late response as I just had a ton of assigments to do/grade and haven't really looked back at this thread. 

I'm now working hard on multiball drills to improve my footwook. I realized that I might have overused my BH and I really want to get the footwork improved to get to use my FH loop more often. Hopefully I can take a clip or two this Saturday to ask for some more advice on my footwork. 

Just out of curiousity, what do you think my USATT would be? I know it's like asking for flame, but just couldn't help it Tongue

Looking at your video on 3/21, I will give you a rating estimate of around 1600.  I'm around 1600 and think we would be a good match. 

Where I would give you trouble is attacking your long serves.  I would also pick on your backhand.  You seem to plant your feet a lot,  then do a lot of leaning at the waist, sticking your butt out.  Videos are very deceptive and you could be much better or worse than you appear.
JonathanVN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2015 at 8:08pm
I would give you a rating of about 1700. You'd be able to push me a little bit, maybe even get a game off of me, but probably not a match too frequently. Your backhand is pretty solid, especially when you are counter driving and banana flipping the longer serves. Your game seems to diminish when you attack with your forehand, however. The opponent here is giving you some high, attackable balls on your forehand side, and you really should be able to put those shots away.

Also, your opponent's footwork and balance seems way off, so pushing your shots towards the corners would be a good idea. Other than that, you look pretty strong! 
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2015 at 10:21pm
Thank you for the inputs

Edited by The soul of rock - 04/05/2015 at 10:58pm
Viscaria FL
-------
My feedback
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic