Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - USE different rubbers against different opponents?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

USE different rubbers against different opponents?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USE different rubbers against different opponents?
    Posted: 03/15/2015 at 5:20pm
I  did not search for this topic, but it appears that it is little discussed. Most players appear to have a fixed set of rubbers. But in my point of view, different rubbers should be used against opponents of different styles. For example, you want to use a rubber with high throw angle against a chopper and maybe low throw angle against an opponent that plays mainly top spin. But it appears that no professional player changes their rubbers. I know that you want to maintain the same feeling for your paddle. But still?
Sponsored Links

JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2015 at 6:05pm
I think using different set ups will be detrimental to your touch...
Also I pick my equipment on what maximizes my strength and not to match my opponents game...
on the other hand this could exponentially increase the EJ potential!!!
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2015 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

Also I pick my equipment on what maximizes my strength and not to match my opponents game...

thats right! case closed...and changing equipment constantly is bad for a player's development also if you try to learn new techniques/serves/strokes.

Pro's can change equipment often  because they have already perfectly established technique but still they need some time (1 month max ) to adjust
my TT blog!

Join & follow my TT blog ! Mental and Physi
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2015 at 6:52pm
For amateurs, yes we stick to one playing setup...

However, I read a Koki Niwa interview where he uses different rubbers (T05, T05 FX) depending on where he's is - Asia or Europe..
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2015 at 9:30pm
I don't see where changing between different small changes in rubber is not a good idea even if you are rated over 2000.  My first coach switched from T05 to T25 just before a tournament.  If you know T05 and T25 that is a BIG change.  It did not go well.  He should have known better.

I think it is better to play with one setup as other have suggested but have two different types of rubber on the FH and BH so the opponent needs to cope with the changes between FH and BH balls.  Being able to twiddle is a plus.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2015 at 9:42pm
The main reason for not doing this, certainly not making a major change, is that as you play, your brain gets reinforced continuously with a certain set of expectations based on results.  In other words, if I get ball A coming at me and execute shot X a certain way, it will be successful because I have done it thousands of times and have refined the shot by trial and error.  If you are going to play well, you need the execution of the shot to be correct as much as possible without having to think about the details of the execution (like racket angle, or swing speed, etc. etc.).   Note here the distinction between thinking about execution of the shot and thinking about tactics.

If you make any significant change in your equipment, many of the things you have trained are suddently not appropriate.  If you are constantly changing your stuff, then you will never really get engrained to any one set of expectations, so you will have to constantly be thinking about how to execute your shots.  It may work against really low level players who have no idea what to do with one kind of equipment, but by doing that you will slow or halt your progress.

Now before someone brings it up, yes, really high level coaches (2600 players) can pick up any kind of blade or rubber and play at a level that is too high for a lot of people here.  Nevertheless,  if they are playing someone close to their own level, they need to use the thing they are accustomed to and trained with.

Subtle changes in equipment to compensate for unfamiliar playing conditions (say, altitude) or to accommodate a different ball might work, but in that case, the person making the change trying to make the overall experience more like what he/she has trained for, and not to confuse the opponent.

In other words, it's not golf.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2015 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

However, I read a Koki Niwa interview where he uses different rubbers (T05, T05 FX) depending on where he's is - Asia or Europe..

a friend told me that a chinese legend called liang used several rubbers to match the opponent, he used to switch sponge topsheet before a match  to play difrents players ,he could use one rubber one day another rubber to play diferent player. check how skillful was this player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysemTNokIIg

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2015 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by TTFrenzy TTFrenzy wrote:

Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

thats right! case closed...and changing equipment constantly is bad for a player's development also if you try to learn new techniques/serves/strokes.

Pro's can change equipment often  because they have already perfectly established technique but still they need some time (1 month max ) to adjust

i know kreanga sometimes play with T05FX Or T05 depends if he plays in a big venue or small gymnasium, i think truly innate players can do  this
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2015 at 12:42am
maybe us old pimple players could use a at the table long pips and then a chopping one for someone else
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2015 at 3:56am
Jack of all trades.... Master of none.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2015 at 4:19am
There was a time people were allowed to switch rackets during matches and a minority of players did, some decent.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2015 at 5:19am
If Dima, the world number 6, is doing it for games against choppers then it is not as bad an idea as most think. Wink

Words from Dima in the recent German Tour Open vs Filus:

“I smashed my racket on the practice table 10 minutes before the match; this messed with my head a little”, said Dimitrij Ovtcharov. “My racket was tailored to play against defence; my reserve one I used was not, which put me off; half way through my match I changed my forehand rubber, which helped with defence.”

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2015 at 10:32am
Did he actually glue on a different rubber or simply started playing on FH with a different side of the racket? 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2015 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Did he actually glue on a different rubber or simply started playing on FH with a different side of the racket? 

Definitely the latter.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Vlad0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2015 at 12:22pm
It's not about a big change and mostly used when you play against pimpled player. For example if you use aurus - put aurus soft or sound, T05 - put T05FX and it will be easier. Of course you have to know the rubbers.  
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2015 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Definitely the latter.

Apparently, he started the match using black rubber on FH, and switched to red instead. According to "rumours", he plays with T05 on both side.  At the same time, many people claim that black T05 (or other tensor) is faster/spinnier than red T05.  IMHO, it is interesting that he switched to red from black to better deal with Filus's defences.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2015 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

If Dima, the world number 6, is doing it for games against choppers then it is not as bad an idea as most think. Wink

Words from Dima in the recent German Tour Open vs Filus:

“I smashed my racket on the practice table 10 minutes before the match; this messed with my head a little”, said Dimitrij Ovtcharov. “My racket was tailored to play against defence; my reserve one I used was not, which put me off; half way through my match I changed my forehand rubber, which helped with defence.”

But he doesn't explain what he means by "tailored".  Maybe it is just a slightly different glue job or maybe he uses more or less "tuner"?

I find it odd that if a player has two rackets that are substantially different that he wouldn't have backups for both.  My guess is that the differences between rackets are pretty subtle.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

i've seen a couple instances where japanese players go from 64 to 05 in europe bc the style is different and everyone hits so hard.

niwa doesn't play FX. he used to play 25/64 after 05/64, then 05/05 briefly after training in bundesliga, back to 64/64, now 80/64. almost no top world pros use FX/in fact, none that i know of.

Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 12:33pm
I change setups depending on who I am playing. Have 1 setup with pips on the BH for modern defense and another one with smooth/smooth.
If I am playing players who are much better than me I would use the modern defense setup.
People around my level or lower, I use smooth and smooth. Lower ranked players have problems with the pips - so I play smooth and smooth. 

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 1:07pm

Generally don't think it is a good idea. I have several different set ups that I use to play to give players experience against. I also play left handed (my lower skill level) too.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic