Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plastic ball, end of Tenergy for CNT?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2015 at 8:23pm
It could be that trainig with H3 might alter your stroke in a way that forces you to really contact the ball open and hard and that in turn requires perfect footwark if you are in free play. It is not like Euro rubber. If you then switch back to a Euro rubber rhe footwork would still be there. But the vast majority of European professionals use Tenergy-like ribbers because they learned with them and Chiese stuff including all H3 is quite different. Maybe things will change with new balls but thsts how it is now and for a long time.

AgentHEX mentioned Keinath. Actually i do ecall reading somewhere that he used a Chinese rubber om his FH. It makes sense actually given the way he hits that shot. Very different from most European players.   

Of course if pros are in fact changing equipment because of the balls ,which we will know in time , it says something about how they perceive the balls.   Are we sure thats why some people changed? For me afte 9 months with new balls Im finally thinking to try one or two experiments. Maybe T64 instead of 05. Maybe another try with MX P.
Sponsored Links

Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2015 at 8:37pm
I think the crux of this discussion is thus: if the CNT can boost H3 to be as fast as Tenergy, or if they modify their strategy such that the speed of Tenergy is not needed on the backhand, then they will move to H3 for more spin.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2015 at 8:40pm
What I remain unsure of is would it be better to have a faster rubber or a spinnier one with new balls? Probably depends on the player. I have no idea which of those might help me or maybe neithet.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2015 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

What I remain unsure of is would it be better to have a faster rubber or a spinnier one with new balls? Probably depends on the player. I have no idea which of those might help me or maybe neithet.

I went to a spinnier rubber. But it didn't happen overnight and what I use now differs from what I used before on my flat/defensive strokes. But using both side by side over a month helped me appreciate what I use now as a reasonable alternative.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/23/2015 at 10:25am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2015 at 11:19pm

That's a good question. If a different rubber could make the plastic ball shot spinnier, I would say that this would be preferable. For many players (including myself) the problem with the plastic balls is making the loop-kill type shots drop on the table. I'm not convinced that 'better' rubbers can make this happen though, as I feel the problem lies with the balls...they just don't curve down as much.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2015 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

That's a good question. If a different rubber could make the plastic ball shot spinnier, I would say that this would be preferable. For many players (including myself) the problem with the plastic balls is making the loop-kill type shots drop on the table. I'm not convinced that 'better' rubbers can make this happen though, as I feel the problem lies with the balls...they just don't curve down as much.

I do believe that by changing equipment if one so desires, one can get to a point where fewer changes have to made to one's technique.  OF course, there will be a tradeoff somewhere in the spin/speed combination, but it all depends on what one is looking for.
Cybershape Carbon
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 5:19am

It could be that trainig with H3 might alter your stroke in a way that forces you to really contact the ball open and hard and that in turn requires perfect footwark if you are in free play. It is not like Euro rubber. If you then switch back to a Euro rubber rhe footwork would still be there. But the vast majority of European professionals use Tenergy-like ribbers because they learned with them and Chiese stuff including all H3 is quite different.

Continuing to repeat that high-test H3 is nothing like Tenergy doesn't make it true. Not unlike Yinhe's Moon/Suns, the seeming initial tack quickly turns to near non-tack rather close to the gummier euro rubbers.

OTOH, nobody outside the CNT & friends can get the best stuff with faster sponges anyway so it's a moot point. Grip-S comes somewhat close with its Haifu topsheet on euro sponge.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 12:08pm
Grip S not like Tenergy either. I have hit with that also.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 12:26pm
Baal, he is just trying to say that Tenergy has a grippy topsheet that can be compared in some ways to Chinese rubber tackineas. That's the most charitable interpretation of his position. That he continues to push the limits of such comparisons with words such as gummy and sticky isn't helpful, but let's leave it at that.   
Cybershape Carbon
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 3:22pm

Grip S not like Tenergy either. I have hit with that also.

Again, to you nothing is like anything else as long as it's not convenient, which makes it a mystery why you refer to tacky as one homogenous entity when not even H3 is identical.

Upon reflection, I guess it's not a mystery at all.

> Baal, he is just trying to say that Tenergy has a grippy topsheet that can be compared in some ways to Chinese rubber tackineas.

It's not as if grippy / tacky are somehow dichotomous properties but rather terms for end of a spectrum. Of course you already figured this out in the link to your own comment above but forget it when it's convenient.

Edited by AgentHEX - 03/23/2015 at 3:26pm
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 3:51pm
This is so funny, I just recall in this other thread these rubbers are apparently so close that playing plastic ball with Big Dipper is like cell with T05.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70786&PID=862845#862845

But to be fair Baal also considers plastic is nothing like cell. It's a real mystery how euro players ever managed to play with them. These chinese players are switching between Tenergy and upend H3 like it's nothing but I guess you just have to be that good to pull it off.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 4:00pm
AgentHex,

Pick up a ball with a grippy rubber like Tenergy 05. When you do it, let me know so I can send you a check for being wrong.

There is a reason why many Europeans do not use Chinese type rubbers or sponges. Tacky rubbers hold the ball so much that hitting and smashing are negatively affected. Even serving feels different. That's the adjustment many people are unwilling to make and Baal is pointing that out.

No one switches like it is nothing. Everyone uses it for a period, adjusts to the changes, and finds a comfort level. Only players who are playing at a low enough level that details do not matter or who are so much better than their opponents that they can beat them with cellphones or hard bat don't care about the differences.

It took me a month of using Big Dipper while using T05 simultaneously to commit to it. Maybe that detail eludes you.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/23/2015 at 4:07pm
Cybershape Carbon
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 4:08pm
Sure, it's so different when it's convenient and so similar when convenient. Anyone who's used these modest tack rubber knows they don't pick up a ball either after initial use so it's unclear who this weaseling is supposed to fool.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

Sure, it's so different when it's convenient and so similar when convenient. Anyone who's used these modest tack rubber knows they don't pick up a ball either after initial use so it's unclear who this weaseling is supposed to fool.

So you are saying Big Dipper is a modest tack rubber? Or you have something else in mind?

Technique defines this sport but differences in equipment matter. What you call weaseling is teasing out the nuances of the differences. It takes playing at a certain level to appreciate them.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/23/2015 at 4:13pm
Cybershape Carbon
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 4:17pm
Many of the lower tack rubbers do not pick up the ball. I haven't tried specifically with Dipper, but apparently it's fairly close to T05 according to this NextLevel guy. Personally I think the Moon/Sun's in their lineup are closer but it's his words not mine.

Edited by AgentHEX - 03/23/2015 at 4:19pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 4:32pm

Many of the lower tack rubbers do not pick up the ball. I haven't tried specifically with Dipper, but apparently it's fairly close to T05 according to this NextLevel guy. Personally I think the Moon/Sun's in their lineup are closer but it's his words not mine.

I have written extensively on Big D elsewhere so I will clarify one more time and ask that you please stop misrepresenting me willfully.

1. I prefer my performance with Big Dipper to my performance with Tenergy 05 with the plastic ball.
2. For the price difference and since I play close to the table, I don't have any reason to test T05 at the moment.
3. Big Dipper especially in 38 deg has a slightly springier sponge than most tacky rubbers. That makes playing off the table compared to most Chinese rubbers easier.
4. Big Dipper is significantly tacky. It might not be initially apparent but it becomes very much so if you use the rubber.
5. Big Dipper is for people who like tacky rubbers but are put off by the effort to use the hard sponged ones. It is easier to use and block with though whether it suits a particular person will depend on what they are looking for. Euro rubber lovers may still find it too slow on hits and blocks and tacky rubber lovers may find it too fast, especially on serves and touch strokes.

I recommend it to T05 users not because it plays like T05 but because of the cost of admission and my experience. Some like it, some hate it.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/23/2015 at 4:40pm
Cybershape Carbon
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 4:43pm
"Sure, it's so different when it's convenient and so similar when convenient."

This is an esp hilarous touch: It takes playing at a certain level to appreciate them.

So Samsonov and the CNT moves between these perfectly fine, but it takes Baal & NL's  level to really bring out the considerable differences (for now).
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 4:48pm
I have quoted Samsonov on this already, so that last bit of trolling needs no further comment.
Cybershape Carbon
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 4:51pm
I've already replied to that comment by noting he plays no worse and if anything perhaps better with grip-s so please stop pretending that didn't happen.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 4:57pm

I've already replied to that comment by noting he plays no worse and if anything perhaps better with grip-s so please stop pretending that didn't happen.

The question was not whether he played worse or better, but whether a period of adjustment was required and whether there were distinct preferences based on technique, rubbers one learned with etc. We are still allowed to take his opinion on what he is more comfortable with seriously, even if you want to ignore it.
Cybershape Carbon
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 5:11pm
Given there was no drop in performance going to grip-s I'll let the results speak for itself.

Of course no rubbers are identical just as the new ball isn't identical to old one and there are always preferences, just instances of similar enough that people who care to adapt to marginal differences have no trouble playing to same level.

Again, I'll let you speak to the specific similarity between Tenergy/tacky:

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70493&PID=862615&title=has-tenergy-been-surpassed#862615
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 5:14pm

Given there was no drop in performance going to grip-s I'll let the results speak for itself.

Of course no rubbers are identical just as the new ball isn't identical to old one and there are always preferences, just instances of similar enough that people who care to adapt to marginal differences have no trouble playing to same level.

Again, I'll let you speak to the specific similarity between Tenergy/tacky:

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70493&PID=862615&title=has-tenergy-been-surpassed#862615

And you interpreted that to mean that Tenergy 05 and Hurricane play similarly? Now I know why we have a problem. I speaking to an idiot.
Cybershape Carbon
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 5:38pm
I interpret that to mean you'll say anything to fit the situation. Two rubbers are similar when it suits your justification to change for new ball, and now apparently they're nothing alike.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 6:15pm

I interpret that to mean you'll say anything to fit the situation. Two rubbers are similar when it suits your justification to change for new ball, and now apparently they're nothing alike.

If they were alike, why would I need to change?  (Jeopardy music)

Oh, because I said that they performed similarly for me in terms of feel under different circumstances!

But again, let's regurgitate (goes with your description of my posts as vomit):

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Baal, he is just trying to say that Tenergy has a grippy topsheet that can be compared in some ways to Chinese rubber tackineas. That's the most charitable interpretation of his position. That he continues to push the limits of such comparisons with words such as gummy and sticky isn't helpful, but let's leave it at that.   

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

There is a reason why many Europeans do not use Chinese type rubbers or sponges. Tacky rubbers hold the ball so much that hitting and smashing are negatively affected. Even serving feels different. That's the adjustment many people are unwilling to make and Baal is pointing that out.

It's fairly clear that I am making a distinction between surface friction and surface adhesion, which are related but are different.  I'm saying that surface adhesion can slow down strokes to the point where people find the rubbers different.  So what is being debated here is the actual properties of H3 National and whether they are really sticky or just grippy.  In my experience, something that is tacky will not play like Tenergy - it will just be too slow.
Cybershape Carbon
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 6:22pm
> If they were alike, why would I need to change?

According to you they ostensibly differ similarly to cell vs plastic, which is relatively minor in objective metrics.

> In my experience, something that is tacky will not play like Tenergy - it will just be too slow.

The pertinent original claim was that the really good H3 is closer to Tenergy than folks who've only used commercial might realize. It's not too slow nor immensely tacky. Of course this became controversial with a given crowd same as if I said 2+2=4.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 6:44pm

> If they were alike, why would I need to change?

According to you they ostensibly differ similarly to cell vs plastic, which is relatively minor in objective metrics.

No need to revisit this, which has been discussed elsewhere, with you on one side of a very long fence, with everyone else on the other.  I have also emphasized that the feel of the stroke was important to me.

> In my experience, something that is tacky will not play like Tenergy - it will just be too slow.

The pertinent original claim was that the really good H3 is closer to Tenergy than folks who've only used commercial might realize. It's not too slow nor immensely tacky. Of course this became controversial with a given crowd same as if I said 2+2=4.

Yes, the disagreement was resolved by your producing evidence to show that they were wrong.  Baal is likely going off the fact that he has tested blades of high level players who use good H3.  Maybe he is wrong as to what he tested.  But I would think that the discussion would begin with methodical dissection of what real H3 is like and who has used it and can speak to it, as opposed to repeating what has already being said which demonstrates or illuminates nothing.

I mean, here is one poster on this thread.  It's up to you to explain why he is arguing that 2+2 is not equal to 4.

Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

hurricane/skyline national is not a holy grail rubber, it's not a different beast altogether than H3 most are familiar with. It's mostly the same thing. People either try to hype it up, or try to discount it. But it's not so unbelievably far off. It's the same breed. 

Plenty of professional non-cnt players in china play with stuff that we can get our hands on. Guess what? They do great! In spite of not having a supply of the stuff the CNT uses, they still use hurricane. Why? Because it's still basically the same thing, and it's still GOOD. Of course, they boost it with dianchi or seamoon, but that's kind of a given. 

If you've ever seen a legit blue sponge for example, felt one.. you know it's not anything like tenergy. Even compared to normal orange sponges that we see, it's a good deal firmer degree to degree. I don't think you quite understand how hard those guys hit. And how much do you think they boost it? It's not getting boosted to the point that it's a soft rubber. I know for a fact how much oil some of the CNT players use. It's less than you'd think. 

Edited by NextLevel - 03/23/2015 at 6:51pm
Cybershape Carbon
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 7:03pm
> No need to revisit this, which has been discussed elsewhere, with you on one side of a very long fence, with everyone else on the other.

It's worth revisiting to compare your own description on one side then compared to the other now. This has nothing to do with me.

> It's up to you to explain why he is arguing that 2+2 is not equal to 4.

Maybe he's been using the TTNPP blue sponge special. The differences are quite tangible to people who care about these sort of equipment things. popperlocker's description of physical properties is accurate, even the Provs are faster and less tacky.

Just to clarify the stock h3 sponges are still slower than Tenergy sponge, if they're the same the the h3 one has been boosted/tuned.

Edited by AgentHEX - 03/23/2015 at 7:11pm
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Argothman Argothman wrote:

I think the crux of this discussion is thus: if the CNT can boost H3 to be as fast as Tenergy, or if they modify their strategy such that the speed of Tenergy is not needed on the backhand, then they will move to H3 for more spin.

This is a good point! Interesting question!
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 4:57pm
If there is a problem with spin due to the plastic ball - might this lead to more players trying to revert to SP ? I mean if inverted rubbers are shooting loop kills off the table....why not just smack that ball with SP where the throw puts the ball on the table NOT the spin?
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 5:16pm
The pro/tuned H3 is still not going to be as fast as the pro/tuned Tenergy, not that the recent XX/ML change has much to do with plastic ball anyway.

A larger ball is going to have better aero as long as you can spin it hard enough. I did an analysis on this a while back and basically very physical players are going to have an advantage. Folks familiar with the 38->40 change can probably verify this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic