Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adidas Protex D20 & D30 Blades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adidas Protex D20 & D30 Blades
    Posted: 04/12/2015 at 9:00am

ADIDAS PROTEX D20 AND D30 BLADES

Adidas Protex D30 Blade
Weight: 88 grams
Head Size: 150x156mm
Plies: 7 (fineline top plies + bluetex material)
Hardness: Stiff
Speed: OFF+

Adidas Protex D20 Blade
Weight: 88 grams
Head Size: 150x156mm
Plies: 7 (limba top plies + bluetex material)
Hardness: Medium Stiff
Speed: OFF

Sorry it took me so long to post my reviews. I was playing with these 2 blades for 2 weeks in total. I have been testing these 2 blades extensively as these blades are firsts of their kind within the brand. As expected, the quality of the 2 blades are nothing short but excellent. Adidas has painstakingly made sure that like the previous blades (hypertouch, radix series), the Protex blades have also very good quality. I am confident to say that Adidas blades are in the top when it comes to handle comfort. The handles are very smooth to the hands but not slippery.The blade surfaces of the 2 blades are also smooth. I was kinda disappointed because they covered the sides of the blades because the plies themselves give beauty to the look of a blade when they are glued with rubbers. I can't blame Adidas for this because they are trying to protect the composition of their blades for this series unless one buys a blade and dissects the blade cross sectionally in order to know the exact composition. Now about the blue texalium or what Adidas calls the bluetex (I am assuming this is texalium), a material combination of fiberglass and aluminum. People say that carbon fiber is lighter and still stronger than texalium. I tested the baldes using  Tenzone Ultra SF DHS Hurricane 3 Provincial and P7 rubbers.

Hardness:

On a bare blade bounce test with a ball, the D30 has a higher pitch than the D20. When hitting your finger against the 2 blades, the D30 felt stiffer. The D20 cannot be considered soft or medium but mildly stiff. It has some flex but it feels semi hard. The hardness and feel of the D20 compared to other blades:
D20>Adidas Hypertouch
D20<Primorac Carbon
D20=Tibhar Samsonov Pro Black Edition (more or less)
D20> Stiga Clipper Wood
D20<ALC

The D30 is harder than the 2 Carbonado blades but still softer than a Schlager Carbon or Primorac Carbon blade.

Speed:

The D30 is a speedy blade. It was very bouncy in the sense that it almost feels like a carbon blade when smashing or loop driving but feels less hard. The D30 clearly outshines the D20 in the smashing and driving departments but the D20 is more friendly and forgiving. The D30 is as fast as a primorac carbon and sometimes faster but doesn't feel hard and has better ball feedback. The D30 is a medium to far distance from the table because of its long trajectory whereas the D20 is more on the middle to close to the table distance.

Looping:

The D20 is a great looping blade and balanced in terms of speed but its biggest asset is its ability for spinning either fast spin attacks or slow controlled looping. The D20 has a medium to high arc. I love the D20 because the limba gives a good feel to the hand when looping and at the same time it isn't to stiff. The blade has some flex which aids greatly in looping. The D30 is stiff and topspin shots that hit through the sponge and wood suits it more. The D30 has a low to medium arc when looping the ball but it has a longer trajectory. 

Short game:

Both are very good in teh short game. Even the D30 being a fast and hard blade, I didn't have any problems controlling my dropshots or flick strokes. The D20 feels better on serves and spinny pushes than the D30

Overall Impression: 

The Protex D30 gives a hard, solid and fast attack on your shots. It is impressive when you rely mostly on speed and power. Ideal rubbers for these are medium to medium soft rubbers to balance its stiff surface. Both blades feel very different from the Liping Ktex. The Ktex felt nothign special to me. It is medium fast has control but nothing more. The Joola Kool which is a thicker and lighter blade is truly fast but compared to the D30, the Joola Kool has this hollow feeling when hitting the ball. Sometimes the balsa core gives a limit on the power you can hit the ball with. With the D30, at a thinner blade thickness, you can hit the ball faster and better.

The Protex D20 on the other hand is my favorite. I couldn't let it go and until now I still have the blade with me. The D20 is a good substitute for a viscaria or tb alc if you spin a lot or brush a lot on your strokes. I felt it was really good to spin when I used the 2 Adidas rubbers and much even better when I used the Provincial Hurricane 3 rubber. So I feel in love with the D20 it's not too fast and has this slight woody feeling which I am always looking for in a blade. 

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2015 at 9:00am
reviews to follow
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Blake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2015 at 11:55am
Thanks for all your reviews on this stuff, super helpful! Waiting excitedly for your pending review
BTY Primorac
FH: Sriver 1.9
BH: Sriver 1.9
Taming a new beast...
Vega Pro
FH: Rasant Grip Max
BH: Tenzone Ultra SF Max
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2015 at 12:18pm
Cool pics, not a big fan of them painting the edges. 
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2015 at 12:38pm
I suspect they're not just painting them, but have them covered with a layer of protective wood, a bit like Nittaku's edge guard on some blades, like the Kiley. It doesn't look like the plies are exposed.

Edited by Bran - 04/12/2015 at 3:25pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2015 at 1:12pm
Boo to edge banding. Yay in advance for the reviews! Tell adidas to send you some e-razor too.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2015 at 1:43pm
looks terrible
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2015 at 1:57pm
The edge paintover reminds me of the Andro blades. Can't see the individual plies  Unhappy
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2015 at 3:30pm
I dont like the look that much but really wants to try out some Adidas blades sometime. How are the quality compared to Butterfly? 
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2015 at 10:09pm
I just wonder, PROTEX, are they off or def blades ?

PROTEX sounds like defensive name.
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2015 at 10:39pm
These are off blades to off+. The quality is top notch and the handles are one of the most.comfortabe among other brands. Yes the edges are covered so i can only tell the top plies.

Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2015 at 12:22am
PROTEX D20 might have similarity of Mmaze and Fibertech power but with new fiber reinforcement ?

I assumed......

Looking forward to you review. Smile
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
JaSports View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaSports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2015 at 10:57am
need to know top ply of D30 blade. this should be interesting..
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2015 at 11:09am
Originally posted by JaSports JaSports wrote:

need to know top ply of D30 blade. this should be interesting..

I'm going with fineline for the D30 and ayous or limba for the D20.

Edited by AndySmith - 04/13/2015 at 11:10am
Figueiredo81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Figueiredo81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 5:28am
Waiting on review... Protex D20 seems nice, I'm a Limba addict I must confess.
dajdosta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dajdosta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 6:33am
Head shape looks unusual.
It looks short and wide to me. If that is the case then I am very interested because these should be balanced toward handle.
Anybody knows the price?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 6:44am
I think the D30 is €100, and the D20 is €90.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 6:58am
Ill be posting the reviews in a day or 2.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2015 at 5:05am
updated with reviews

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2015 at 5:43am
I really like the look of the D20.  Yogi, how fast is it when compared to the Hypertouch?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2015 at 6:19am
D20 is faster by a small margin and harder too eventhough Hypertouch's outer ply is koto

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2015 at 6:38am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

D20 is faster by a small margin and harder too eventhough Hypertouch's outer ply is koto

Thanks yogi!  That RX-Carbon in the Hypertouch is a crazy, wonderful thing.
JaSports View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaSports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 11:50pm
couldn't agree more with Andy. rx-carbon along with Koto was a superb feeling. this will be a long romance.
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2015 at 4:50am
After reading I got an impression  - this pair of blades is seemingly close to Carbonado's blades. Am I right ? 
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2015 at 5:49am
No they are not. They have different feel and they have slightly higher throw than the carbonados

vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2015 at 8:41am
What are the differencies in feel of those blades ? How do their feel compare to ALC or ZLC or ZL feel ? I mean both Carbonado's and Protexes blades. Thanks.  

Edited by vic#74 - 04/30/2015 at 8:41am
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2015 at 8:25pm
wow that's a lot to answer.

D30 is faster than the ALC but slower than an MJ ZL. same thing as the carbonados. D30 is harder than an ALC, hardness is between an ALC or ZL.

D20 feels softer.

BarryB View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2015 at 10:29am

Yogi, I'm currently playing with the Hypertouch which I really like but I can still feel it's a carbon blade and not an all wood. How does it compare to the Protex D20 an Acculum High Speed 5 in terms of playing characteristics/feel.
You mentioned the D20 felt a bit harder despite the limba outer ply, but can you elaborate a little bit more?

Hoping to find a nice deal when Adidas is stopping its tabletennis business.
Blake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2015 at 12:27pm
Addidas is calling it quits?
BTY Primorac
FH: Sriver 1.9
BH: Sriver 1.9
Taming a new beast...
Vega Pro
FH: Rasant Grip Max
BH: Tenzone Ultra SF Max
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2015 at 9:24pm

Thank you yogi for all your fine reviews and effort! Interesting blades, not crazy about the look but I'm sure they play fine.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic