Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on Coaching Beginners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on Coaching Beginners
    Posted: 04/18/2015 at 6:15am
I work at a junior high school in Japan, and I've been actively playing table tennis there.

At the moment, I'm the best player there (the rest are students aged between 13-15, who have played for up to 2 years). The teachers in charge of the club have no table tennis experience. The problem is, I'm not a very good player myself. I've been playing for about one and a half years now.

In about 2 weeks, the new 7th graders (12 year olds) will join the club. I'm expecting about 10 new members. None of them have any table tennis experience. However, I'd like to help them as much as I can with proper technique and setting up a routine as effectively as I can to help them improve.

The students will be playing among themselves 5 days a week, 1 to 3 hours per session. I'll be there 2 of those 5 days.

Does anyone have any experience coaching new players? What are some methods you like to use? What has been effective for you? I'd love any type of advice anyone has to offer. Table tennis is a beautiful sport, and I would love to be able to help so that they don't have to go through all the same mistakes I did.

Thanks,
Mick
Sponsored Links

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 10:25am
For beginners work on the correct basic strokes and footwork. Start with just the forehand and backhand drives on shadow and multiball drills. Add smashing or pushes maybe 3-4 weeks later. The idea is keep it interesting and not too routinary. Work on the table drills maybe a month after.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 11:44am
This manual from ITTF might help. Another option is to get a beginners DVD - maybe some are available in Japanese have the kids follow the video.
Pingskills a youtube channel that might be of use.

Good luck

Edited by jrscatman - 04/18/2015 at 11:49am
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 11:46am
Coaching beginners - especially that age is a balancing act.  

You HAVE to spend a lot of time on boring basics - grip, ready position, foot and body position and balance, basic forehand drive, backhand drive, push, simple serves, and of course footwork.

But you also HAVE to keep it fairly fun.  Adding targets and making games out of drills helps a lot.

If you are going to be coaching them, you need to learn to serve multi-ball.  If you don't already have them you should get a bunch of training balls and a ball retriever (I like the MPPB's, but whatever you can find should work). 

There are some excellent online options where you can get help.  You probably need to start researching this and talking to coaches about some specific drills, things to do, things to avoid, and things to look for.  Coaching beginners requires a lot of patience, but rewards come pretty quickly - especially when the beginners are relatively motivated young folk.  

If there is any way for you, the teacher in charge, or both to attend an ITTF Level I coaching class, do it.  These classes teach EXACTLY that, and do it very well.  ITTF also has specific classes for Club Coaching and (school) Teachers. I wouldn't be surprised it the Japanese TT association had some options for you too.  I recommend contacting them, explaining what you are doing, and asking for their help, recommendations, or maybe for them to recommend a local coach who might be able to help with or even oversee your project.

Good luck! 
bes
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 11:53am
HMmm speaking of TOPS, do this in this order.

1. teach correct grip and stance first.
2. then do ball bouncing drills on the fh and bh then alternately.
3. do ball dribbles using fh and bh.
4. play games using 2 & 3
4. teach basic fh and bh shadow strokes
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 12:05pm
Join TTEdge if you have the money, mostly for Brett Clarke's insights into what makes technique work as well as all the step by step tutorials on building serves.  I have found Brett's lessons and structured insights far more helpful than anything I have seen in an ITTF manual or book, though some of his insights are probably also there as well.

Buy Table Tennis: Steps to Success by Richard McAfee, who is an ITTF instructor.  Again, I find that book generally more helpful than the ITTF manuals, even though it has some limitations as a book which I am very sure to do not apply to the instructor.

Continue to post questions on the internet - there are lots of experienced coaches who are willing to share insights and help you out.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/18/2015 at 12:06pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 12:16pm
Thanks everyone. This is exactly the type of advice I was after. I'll go through the manual tomorrow at school. It's quite late at the moment :)

We do have the ball catching nets and hundreds of training balls, so that won't be a problem. Though I'll still need to brush up on feeding the ball. Last time I tried, it didn't go so well.

I'll devise a plan this week and hopefully it all goes well.

If anyone has more to add, feel free. I'll need all the help I can get, haha.
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2015 at 3:07am
These are good -

Tibhar basic training exercises video:  https://youtu.be/aZ8z054Vjhw

You can practice your multiball feed without the player.

Good luck!

Edited by alphapong - 04/19/2015 at 3:16am
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2015 at 4:29am
Correct Grip. Bouncing the ball on the racket as many times as possible on forehand, and then backhand, and then alternate both sides. Forehand counterhit. You can have them throw the ball across the net to get a better sense of the motion. If you can afford a robot, it might be helpful if you cannot provide good multiball. Pay attention to have a backswing, correct contact and followthrough for each shot. If you can get a good coach or someone you can find to teach yourself, you can pass that information on to the students. Here is Ai Fukuhara's training video in japanese.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnvXAQ5p920

Depending on the number of tables, have them line up and do forehand counterhits. Have them count how many balls they can hit. You can give them 1 or 2 misses until the next person rotates back on the table. They must play games or they might lose interest, you can do round robins or team format, king of hill type games. 

Edited by kenneyy88 - 04/19/2015 at 4:30am
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2015 at 4:39pm
It is great of you to try and help these kids, try and have a set of things to do written down with time limits, so take s list, and stop watch etc, try and find others who can help maybe someone who is high level or get the squad to go watch some high level players

just know some of your group have signed up for fun table tennis and just want to play
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2015 at 8:27pm
If you only have shortime and a medium group of school kids without TT experience before, you'd better teach them excitement on TT rather than technics. Yet, correct grip, right stance, timing, placement,..are all good drills. However, do they want to be a good player or just have knowledge and experience of TT?
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2015 at 11:12pm
Thanks for all the videos, everyone. I'm slowly going through them all. They are a big help.

I've signed up to ttEdge in the past, but I think that was before Brett Clarke started making those videos. I'll look into it again!

I also did some multiball practice yesterday and it went quite well. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I'll still need to work on my consistency though.

As for robots, we do have 2 (used to have 3 but a student broke one), but I might not be able to use it.  It's located somewhere we won't be able to use for practice. I'll probably talk with the club teachers and see if I can get something worked out with it.

They won't officially join the club until the end of the week, but I think most the ones who are serious about joining will be here today after school. During that time I'll ask them what their goals are so I can adjust what I do accordingly.

For today's practice, we only have one hour and 2 tables. The rest will be used by the 8th and 9th graders for practice. I'm expecting up to 10 people to come.

I'll show them the grip (I've shown them it before, but just to reinforce), the ready position, and the forehand swing. I'll do a quick demonstration, and get them taking turns on the table. I'll probably feed a small bucket of multiball per student.

I'm really hoping this works out well!

Edited by mickd - 04/20/2015 at 11:12pm
3Ttabletennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3Ttabletennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2015 at 5:18am
Usually it is very difficult for beginners to play exercises among themselves. So multiball training is very helpful for them at the beginning.
If they have learned the basic strokes, they can start with playing exercises.

Since the end of January we have recorded excerpts of training during our club training. We are also amateur players and we have recorded al lot of multiball drills. Maybe the videos can help you a little bit:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVnpFnciKxAPpNPbnQa_vwQ

If you have only less tables and a lot of players, you can also do multiballtraining with 5 or 6 players at the same time. Here is one example:
- 1 or 2 players collect the balls
- 3 players play some topsin alternately. After playing the topspins the should run around the table or run through an agility ladder.
- 1 player can block the topspin

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2015 at 12:34pm
The most important attribute of any leader running a sports session, is the ability to instil in the attendees a sense of wanting to return for the next session. Make sure that the last 15 minutes or so are rigorous yet fun.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2015 at 5:27pm
For a lot of videos and links for beginners and developing players:

Go to North Little Rock Table Tennis Group at Senior Center on Facebook Page

You can even see a 58 shot topspin rally by male and female over 60 years of age.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2015 at 2:39pm
Maybe Jasupo has DVD with more videos like this.

Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2015 at 3:27pm
The most important I think in the beginning is to make the practices as funny as possible, much variation and try to do a lot of counting. Also try not to do it to advanced in the beginning and instead keep it as simple as possible. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic