FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Need rubber advice for a 1-ply Hinoki Jpen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
psongjh View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psongjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need rubber advice for a 1-ply Hinoki Jpen
    Posted: 04/22/2015 at 12:11pm
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum, but I've been getting much good advice here for the past few months.  Allow me to introduce myself first:

I've been playing table tennis on and off for the past 20 years, but I've only gotten serious about it for the past few months. Kim Taek Soo and Yoo Nam Kyu being my role models, I started playing as a penholder and remained that way. I've tried switching over to Cpen for RPB, but I'm so used to the light and fast Jpen blades I find myself going back to it eventually.

Currently, I'm using Nittaku Airuline 8.8 1-ply Hinoki blade with Sriver L 1.9 without speed glue. I've experimented with JUIC Scramble 2.0 (ripped off from my old blade), Stiga J.M.S Evo 2.0 (trying something with more control) and 802-40 2.0 (for that flat hitting experience). I quickly decided that pips isn't my cup of tea (maybe I'll try it again later), and went back to Sriver (which was the first real rubber I used as a kid).

I find myself generally as a close to the table flat hitter who wants some spin in his serves. I'm slowly developing my pushes and blocks, and my greatest weakness is dealing with incoming spin. I've been getting comments that my playing style is generally aggressive, and that Sriver may be a bit slow for my style.

OK, so here's my question:
What would be a good rubber choice for my Hinoki blade, which is 1) faster, 2) generates as much spin and 3) has similar sensitivity to incoming spin as Sriver L?

I've heard Stiga Mendo MP may be a good choice but since I don't use speed glue, should I go for ones with built-in speed glue effect?

Edited by psongjh - 04/22/2015 at 12:21pm
Sponsored Links

qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2015 at 3:14pm
I won't recommend any old generation rubber that needs to rely on speed glue.

I would recommend trying the Tibhar MX-P on your one ply, I've had good result with the MX-P on my Butterfly KTS blade.

I've also tried Tenergy 64 on the same blade, and it's very good too, but the cost of the rubber is higher :-)
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2015 at 3:52pm
As qualixion wrote there is no Idea looking for a old rubber that are made to be used with speed glue. I would advice you to look thru the brands newest rubbers that works good without speed glue and also is suited for the new ball. 
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2015 at 5:06pm
why not just go max instead of 1.9 on your shriver?

But you should probably switch to a faster set up eventually if KTS is your model… Airuline and shriver is quite slow for the jpen style!
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
psongjh View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psongjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2015 at 10:32pm
Thanks all for the suggestions. I agree that I should move away from old rubbers especially with the new ball.

JohnnyChop, Airuline and Sriver 1.9 indeed is a slow setup for a jpen, but I was just working on my basics (and still am) until I improved my strokes. And given my flat-hitting style, I figured thinner sponge would give me a better feel on my Hinoki.

I have been suggested and considered the following rubbers so far:

Tenergy 64
Tibhar 1Q
Tibhar MX-P
Rakza 7
Pryde 40
Donic Coppa
Xiom Vega Asia

Tenergy 64 and 1Q were among my first choices, but I decided to try out the cheaper Vega Asia which is pretty popular among jpen players in Korea.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic