Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

short pips on forehand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Da Baobei Da Baobei wrote:

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Originally posted by Da Baobei Da Baobei wrote:

Originally posted by buffalowings buffalowings wrote:

moristo SP hands down.

in terms speed and spin.

abit hard to control due to the power of it. dont go for max. try 2.0 first.

A chinese girl became single  junior world champion with moristo on FH

Also a lot of the japanese women/girls play with moristo - I think in 1.8 - on their bh.

what about  hammond FA speed and the new short pips(nittaku beautry)? heard anything bout them  or any good last gen short pip?

Nittaku claims that Beautry is made for the plastic ball and that it's their spinniest short pip. It offers maximum diameter minimum height and density of the pimple in current ITTF specification. According to some reviews it offers great spin with decent speed and is not as bouncy as the Moristo SP. It should be similar to Mizuno's Booster SA which has been the best selling short pip in Japan for months. The Beautry is made in Japan and has the same sponge hardness as the german made Moristo SP.

I don't know much about Hammond FA Speed other than that it was used besides Spectol 21 before many pros switched to Moristo SP.

i need to know if beautry has knuckle efect or if  its another spinny pips that plays like inverted,what oher pips is good in the reviews you ve been checking? how its booster HP?
Sponsored Links

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

I feel moristo is picky on blades... It is best on slightly softer blades rather then a hard one

i thought it was the other way round, a player i know with taksim +moristo sp makes more knuckle balls than my clipper +moristo
illinichamps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illinichamps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 9:07pm
Sorry, this is a little off the topic but it has been weighing on my mind.
I use both sides inverted but i have been toying with both LP and sp.. 
I like sp but I don't seem to know how to use it effectively. 
Are there any videos or tutorials that anyone has used to learn bh sp?
Or is it either get a coach and/or trial and error? 
Btw I saw the video that schen made of that player from NY.. while its
good I don't think that is enough.. just really nothing on youtube.
thanks in advance
H3 Prov. |MJ SZLC | 05 FX
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by illinichamps illinichamps wrote:

Sorry, this is a little off the topic but it has been weighing on my mind.
I use both sides inverted but i have been toying with both LP and sp.. 
I like sp but I don't seem to know how to use it effectively. 
Are there any videos or tutorials that anyone has used to learn bh sp?
Or is it either get a coach and/or trial and error? 
Btw I saw the video that schen made of that player from NY.. while its
good I don't think that is enough.. just really nothing on youtube.
thanks in advance

Check out this thread I was recently a part of.
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71090
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Da Baobei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Baobei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 2:36am
i need to know if beautry has knuckle efect or if  its another spinny pips that plays like inverted,what oher pips is good in the reviews you ve been checking? how its booster HP?

If you want something with knuckle effect then beautry is the wrong choice, it's another spinny pip like you said. If you want some knuckle effect I would recommend the Victas VO>101, it is pretty fast and has more knuckle effect than most shortpips - the Victas VS>101 and 102 are also very popular in Japan along with Mizuno Boosters , Moristo SP and Spectol.

About the Booster HP, it should be a mix between the spin based SA (spin attack) and speed based EV (explosive velocity) and is the least popular of the three. Out of the Boosters the EV would meet your requirements the most but i think the VO>101 would be a better fit.

Basically there are 3 types of pips:
Trapezoidal pip shape - spin type
Cylindrical pip shape - "change" type
Trapezoidal+cylindrical - speed type

Of course this can't be applied to all pips but should give you a rough guideline what to look for.

You could also try medium pips if you want even more knuckle balls like Ai Fukuharas Armstrong Attack 8.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2015 at 4:27pm

Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

I feel moristo is picky on blades... It is best on slightly softer blades rather then a hard one

i thought it was the other way round, a player i know with taksim +moristo sp makes more knuckle balls than my clipper +moristo

I agree with you about the knuckle effect... I find that on a harder blade it did have more knuckle but that was the only plus side...
I found that the ball just did not bite well with my t5000 a little bit better on the clearfield but best on the clipper...
The loss of bite meant that the ball skids a lot more on on harder loops... It meant loss of control on various shots and I cannot serve or push with a decent level of spin
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2015 at 2:33am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Moristo is good for speedy countering but too soft for me.  Hard to put enough spin on pushes and serves.  Overall, I find that BTY Challenger 1.9 in black (at the recommendation of Gao Jun) works best for me with the new plastic ball.

and why not 1.9 red challenger?. challenger moristo and clippa which one has more knuckle and control suitable for penhold. I think not so stiff blades are the way to go with 40+.
avi3230 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avi3230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2015 at 7:09am
Anyone tried palio power dragon??

Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpDAwIEQBtU) is video review which  I cant understandConfused

Any help will be appreciated.
FlatHitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlatHitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2015 at 1:30pm
I have switched 3 of my students to short pips, forehand (penhold) and forhand/backhand (shakehand) all three are playing better..returning serves and hitting with out all of the "double thinking" or..should i loop or hit that ball?..also, these players are over 50 years old  and cant take the years to learn how to deal with spin. there blocking game has also improved a lot....I play with short pips on my backhand too..sometimes I miss inverted rubber when I loop with my backhand but, overall it is easier for me to deal with topspin and heavy backspin. "punchblocking" is advantage with short pips and close to the net "flips" get the ball in there face a lot quicker than inverted and make it harder for loopers the get leverage on there loops. currently all of us are using JOOLA express"ultra" it was difficult for me to get my shots to get past players with slower pip rubbers.
If your phone is'nt ringing, it's probably me...
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2015 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by FlatHitter FlatHitter wrote:

I have switched 3 of my students to short pips, forehand (penhold) and forhand/backhand (shakehand) all three are playing better..returning serves and hitting with out all of the "double thinking" or..should i loop or hit that ball?..also, these players are over 50 years old  and cant take the years to learn how to deal with spin. there blocking game has also improved a lot....I play with short pips on my backhand too..sometimes I miss inverted rubber when I loop with my backhand but, overall it is easier for me to deal with topspin and heavy backspin. "punchblocking" is advantage with short pips and close to the net "flips" get the ball in there face a lot quicker than inverted and make it harder for loopers the get leverage on there loops. currently all of us are using JOOLA express"ultra" it was difficult for me to get my shots to get past players with slower pip rubbers.

What sponge thickness are they using on their short pips ?
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2015 at 2:57am
Originally posted by Snakefish Snakefish wrote:

Originally posted by FlatHitter FlatHitter wrote:

What sponge thickness are they using on their short pips ?

Joola pips are very amateurish .try moristo sp and they will be more dangerous
FlatHitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlatHitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2015 at 7:25am
We are all using 2.0, although I do have a sheet of "max thick" on order, I think it will be better on the forehand. I just put another paddle together with short pips for a new student on a JOOLA t.p.e. "feeling" blade, making it #5 for us short pippers..were starting to rule the club!
If your phone is'nt ringing, it's probably me...
buffalowings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buffalowings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2015 at 10:25am
try china's Haifu dolphin. good pips too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic