Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Using hide glue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using hide glue
    Posted: 04/30/2015 at 4:51pm
I am making a blade with Hide glue for a customer. (Ash, Ash, Kiri, Ash, Ash).  just FYI, this stuff is a pain in the rear when gluing veneer.  My first try ended up with lumps because I don't work fast enough.  My second try, I did the Ash/kiri/ash core in one glueup and now have the out side two layers in the press. (as if this wasn't enough hassle, I fried my vacuum pump last night!)

Anyway, my question is, has anyone ever tried basicly the same blade only with different glues side by side?  This blade is spoken for, but I was thinking of making another just like it, and one with the same wood but different glue, for testing.

Thanks!

Craig 
Ratt "ghost" (OS kiri, balsa, kiri) innova UL/ Tibhar Grass D.tecs
Ratt "mouse" (mahogany, 3- kiri, mahogany) T05/ giant dragon talon
Tibhar Furious/ juic 999/ Tibhar Grass D.Tecs
Ross Leidy custom
Sponsored Links

berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2015 at 5:22pm
(cgswss)  Anyway, my question is, has anyone ever tried basicly the same blade only with different glues side by side?  This blade is spoken for, but I was thinking of making another just like it, and one with the same wood but different glue, for testing.

Yes, the MacCrossen brothers back in the late 1930s glued individual veneers of I think European birch withhide glue for their custom made 9-ply and 11-ply rackets.

In the 1940s, after European birch wood veneers were scarcer after World War II, the MacCrossens made primarily 3-ply rackets with hide glue affixed the the inner portion of their blades and a white glue of some kind for the outer part near the edges to secure the various types of hard rubbers (short pips without sponge) they put on to their blades. 
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2015 at 7:37pm
That is very intersting, thank you!

I read about a number of blades and a few claim "String Instrument Technology"  Which I read as using Hide glue.  

I just wonder if anyone can really tell the difference in what glue made the blade

I'm thinking I'll just have to make two and find someone on here that is experienced testing blades and see if there is a good reasion to use hide glue.  (I'll make the blades with hide glue if the customer wants-)
Ross Leidy custom
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2015 at 8:43pm
Hide glue gives better feel but if you don't know what you are doing it is more prone to later blade problems such as warping.

CHEERS!
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2015 at 9:59pm
I asked NEXY to do a hide glue blade. I suggested hide glue for the fastest blade challenge. Would love to hit two blades made of different type of glue and see if I can tell any major difference. I have used first generation Acoustic and a few old Broko and Sons custom blades before and they are sweet indeed (never experienced warping).
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2015 at 10:16pm
Well You may be the guy- your in the US so shipping is not too bad.  I assume you can furnish your own rubbers.  Have you published any blade tests?  If I do this, it will be a "blind test".  That is I won't tell you which is which until after you test and tell me where the blades stand.  I assume you have some playing partners That can give us their opinions.  

I have a opening coming up (I'm 2-3 weeks wait list right now) and I was thinking on of making some blades for testing that I could send out
Ross Leidy custom
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2015 at 10:49am
From what I have read hide glue never fully drys.

And layers can be removed later if there is a problem.

More problems and longer time working with it so cost is more.

But better feeling and maybe larger sweet spot.

I have some but never got around to trying it.

dannyreventon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyreventon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2015 at 11:12am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Hello i am the one who bought your tiger blade to try. Vert good stuff !!! Don't give up you make Very GOOD blades! More to come...

So, it was you who bought the blade. :)) Dang it, I was too late to get it. hahaha
Main Setup:
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Neo H3 Prov 39deg
BH: Xiom Musa

Stiga Clipper Wood
FH: Neo Skyline 3
BH: Stiga Neos Sound ST

Avenger 5
FH: Neo H3
Bh: Xiom Musa

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2015 at 11:50am
Any timelines on the build and tests?
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2015 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Dr.Cho Dr.Cho wrote:

From what I have read hide glue never fully drys.

And layers can be removed later if there is a problem.

More problems and longer time working with it so cost is more.

But better feeling and maybe larger sweet spot.

I have some but never got around to trying it.

Your mixing glues.  White/yellow glue never fully dries.  It allows movement in joints.  Hide glue dries solid and allows no movement in joints.  It is sandable and unlike most glues, does not penetrate the wood.

The down side of hide glue is that it is not waterproof or heat proof.  This means you can use water and heat to dissolve it.  That makes it sound undesirable to use, but if you have any antique furniture, It is held together with hide glue and of course we can't forget those 300 year old stringed instruments that are held together with hide glue.  SO if you get a blade made with hide glue, don't leave it in the package self of the car on a hot day, and don't leave it on the counter in the bathroom when you go for a long showder! 

Many instruments today are still make with hide glue.  I think it my be partly because the glue does NOT penetrate the wood so the wood can keep its natural tone.
Ross Leidy custom
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2015 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Any timelines on the build and tests?

Blades are done except for the finish.  Its been cold and wet here and that is not good conditions for doing finishes.  As Monday is a holiday, I guessing they will be sent on Tuesday and in a tester's hands on Thursday.
Ross Leidy custom
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2015 at 9:07am
I thought I'd mention something else about hide glue.  I was asked not long ago if I use one of the liquid hide glues.  I'm relying on many writes ups in wood working mags here, but most of those write up say the liquid stuff is NOT the same as the stuff you buy as flakes and mix up in a hot pot.  Because of this, I chose to use "real" hide glue for my blades.  Its a hassle, I have to put the flakes in water and let them soak for a day, then it goes in a double boiler to heat up to 140*F and finally on to the wood very quickly before it starts to set.  If the testers find there is a real advantage to hide glue, I might make a couple more test paddles, one with real, pain in the ass, hide glue and one with liquid, right out of the bottle, sorta hide glue.  There is one other glue.  Its called "Old brown glue"  this is real hide glue that they add some stuff to to keep it liquid.  It has a very short shelf live and still requires you heat it up to use it, but at least its ready to go when you need it.  

In fact they have a 15% off sale at Woodcraft today, I know a small (4oz) is something like $22 so I think i'll g down and buy a bottle for another test...
Ross Leidy custom
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2015 at 12:52pm
Test blades are in the mail

Ross Leidy custom
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2015 at 2:18pm
Blades look great! Please update us when the reviews come back!
Butterfly MPS
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2015 at 2:40pm
The 2nd last photo: is that a plain sawn outer veneer?
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2015 at 3:04pm
It's quarter sawed black limba
Ross Leidy custom
flamingmdn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flamingmdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2015 at 3:24pm
Wow, very beautiful. 
Not far from Ross Leidy's pieces of art. 
Wonder how it plays.
Gewo Sensus Carbo Speed | Vega X
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2015 at 5:57pm
Only in my dreams could I do something as good as Ross.  My main goal is doing the wood combos that people want in hope of coming up with great playing blades.  A local player (that I play against from time to time) has a Banshee.  He uses soft 1.7 sponge rubbers (Butterfly Sriver 1.7).  He may be dressing it up a bit to flatter me, but he says its the best looper he has ever used.  I can tell you he has control with it as good as I have seen and a serve that is as hard to return as anyone I play against (And I play long pips!)  It won't be long before we have real tests, as 2 testers now will have them.  The other paddle is a Fiddler with palm  swell grip,  Ash outters with Kiri core.  I've made a number of these, but none for locals and I have had no feed back.  I tried it with T05 and it was too fast for me.  SO I went the other way and put 999 defense on it.  I got fantastic serves out of it and as good of loops as I can do, but its not the right blade for my "style".  I'm a recently converted pen hold player.  About 98% of my game is still backhands and pushing just off the bounce.
Ross Leidy custom
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2015 at 11:35am
cgswss,
since you play TT - are you able to tell the difference between hide glue and other wood glues?

Also have you compared Kiri core vs Ayous core blades?

Thanks in advance. 
Butterfly MPS
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2015 at 11:49am
That's the whole point of the test we are doing. I made two Banshee blades. One is yellow glue the other is real hide glue. Not liquid hide glue. Those two blades have been sent off to an experienced blade tester along with a Fiddler. He won't know which blade is hide glue until after he does the test. He has used other blades made with hide glue in the past but never the same blade with two different glue

I stick with kiri because it is stiffer for a given weight. It seems every time I make a blade the first question is how much does it weigh. Without going to balsa kiri is the go to wood. At least for me. Frankly I make blades with a spruce core that I love but then we are talking 90-95g blades. And no one seems to want a blade over 85
Ross Leidy custom
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2015 at 1:28pm
Thanks. If weight was not a issue - what would be your wood of choice for the core. 
Butterfly MPS
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2015 at 3:00pm
Well I really like spruce. And I really like it with ash outers sounds like a baseball bat at the ballpark. But frankly it's too fast for me since I converted to long pips one of the blades I play with is a thick balsa core oversize blade the other has a kiri core. My brother just bought a table and I'm making blades for them. All three will have kiri or kiri thin ply cores
Ross Leidy custom
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2015 at 11:00am
Interesting Ash and Spruce combination. I'll have to see if there is commercial brand that sells that combination. As weight is not a big concern for me, control might be an issue. 
Butterfly MPS
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2015 at 4:48am

Thanks to cgswss I was given three blades to test, of which two blades are similar to Butterfly Korbel in design and are near identical
to each other except for the glue used. One is glued with hide glue and the other yellow glue. One red handle (red) and one yellow handle (yellow) at 82gr a piece. I am to determine if there is any noticeable difference and which is the hide glue.

Upon receiving them I gave the standard sound test. I hold a blade on its edges with my thumb and middle finger and gently tap the handle end on my head to hear the sound and vibration of the blade. The red one has a very slightly higher sound but only if you are very very careful to listen. I would even say it's impossible to tell but am told initially the difference was more.

I then play with each blades several times with the same set of rubbers. I found that yellow plays slightly slower and has way more control and more feel then the red, in counter hits, loops, blocks, and pushes. This is very clear and not just a little difference. It's not only my opinion but others who got to test them both also agree. Yellow has a very very small softer feel, and that feeling is transfer to the hand slightly better. Yellow holds the ball longer and better. Both have about the same size sweet spot.

Short and sweat, I pick the yellow as glued with hide glue. I think cgswss should continue using hide glue in his blade making since it does make a difference.

thethinker
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2015 at 7:59am
A little note about these test blades.  I start with a board that is about 1" thick.  Using a bandsaw, I resaw that into sheets that are about 4mm thick, then using drum sander, sand these sheets to final size. (in this case 3.4mm) For this test I took the top sheet of that stack and made the fiddler, the next two slices were used to make the Banshees used for this test (the last sheet I kept to make a TAZ for my brother).  The other plys were cut from the same sheet of Black Limba.  The wood for the handles were from the same piece of black Walnut.  The only difference was the "strip" in the grip (one yellow the other red)  Normally the yellow glue plate would be glued in my vacuum press, but Hide glue doesn't like the vacuum press so I glued both plates using a clamp press. The handle with the yellow strip was also glued with hide glue and the red strip handle was glued with yellow glue (Titebond III).  I did everything I could to make these blades as much the same as possible.

thetinker was not told which blade was which until after he did his test.  Frankly, I did not think there would be a difference in the blades in the test because I didn't honestly think the glue could have that much of an effect.  I should also note that the third blade I sent was glued with hide glue, and thethinker also guessed it was made with hide glue. (the third blade was a fiddler, made with a kiri core and ash outters) 

I should also mention that I somehow got the wrong information on the construction of the Korbel.  The Korbel uses an Obeche core not a kiri core, so these blades are not like the Korbel thethinker asked for at all.  My bad.

I want to thank thethinker for all his input.  in addition to the test, he has given me a great deal of valuable input which I will use to improve my blades.  In the future, customers will be asked to choose if the handle uses high gloss finish, matt finish, or no finish. 

I have always offered customers the choice of glue, and frankly most have no preference so I use yellow glue. I'm happy that we have real test results that indicate there really is a difference the player can feel.

Edited by cgswss - 06/13/2015 at 8:29am
Ross Leidy custom
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 2:54am
Thanks fatt. Look forward to your review as well.
Yellow is a very interesting all wood 5-ply blade. It's Limba outer and Kiri core and is hard and flexible, very unique. The only blade I can compare to is TB ZLC but it is slightly less hard and very flexible like Stiga allround.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2015 at 2:09am
Thanks for the reviews and insights into using hide glue for blade building.
Butterfly MPS
kuklovod View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuklovod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2015 at 11:38pm
very nice blades!
 it would be great if u could build a blade using fish glue sometime and compare it to others. i heard it's used particularly in restoration of musical instruments for it transmits acoustic vibrations very good.

Edited by kuklovod - 06/20/2015 at 11:40pm
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2015 at 5:41am
First "fish glue" is very like "Hide glue".  One could just call them "animal protein" glues.  In most circles, "fish" glue is considered "almost as good" as Hide glue.  It shares some common effects with hide glue.  Like hide glue, It doesn't penetrate the wood.  This is in my opinion, the reason hide glue has a measurable effect.  My theory is that because it doesn't penetrate the wood, it also doesn't change the wood.  Most other glues dig into the wood and when they become hard, alter the wood.  Also, unlike most wood glues, hide glue has no movement.

One of the reason many use "fish" glue for instrument repair, is because its already a liquid and is at room temp.  So it's almost as good and a lot easier to use.  Most people that do use it, have reported it is far less resistant to high humidity.  On the instrument forums, I have read many posts that it will "soften" and let the joins move when it gets really steamy.  In some of the woodworking forums they rank it was "not as good as "liquid hide glue", and not very close to Hot hide glue.

It a little like comparing old white elmers wood glue to Tiebond III.  

Just FYI, I tried making a blade with hot hide glue and another just like it with liquid hide glue.  I let three local testers hit with them for about 3 hours then asked if they could feel any difference between them.  I was surprised that all three IDed the blade made with hot hide glue as "better"  They did not know which blade was which (or even if I was doing a "glue" test.)

SO when customers ask for "hide glue" on their blades, I will make the blades with Hot hide glue.

I will also mention that some posters from this forum have ordered slightly different wood combinations to be glued with hide glue.  It will be a couple of weeks before they get their new blades, but I think it will be interesting, when they get them, if they still feel the hide glue gives an advantage.  I just hope they don't get wet and fall apart!

Edited by cgswss - 06/21/2015 at 5:46am
Ross Leidy custom
kuklovod View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuklovod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2015 at 8:46am
noway i meant its (cheap?) liquid ready to use version. but i meant genuine fish glue originally made of sturgeon's fish maws using heated water bath and my sources consider it to be of better quality than hide glues. today of course there should be a vast variety of fish glues, made not only of maws (rather costly), but also fish skin etc.
i wish u give it try, cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic