Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Make your forehand loop even more powerful!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2015 at 8:01pm
meanwhile 45 years later, things have evolved
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Sponsored Links

berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2015 at 10:12pm
Things have changed, but not evolved perhaps quite so much as you might think, smackman.  The forehand loop drive did not commence its evolution with the emergence of Wang Liqin, Wang Hao, Ma Long, Fang Bo, Zhang Yi Ke, Timo Boll or J.-O. Waldner.

A. A. Hayden, an English international using an unusual version of the penhold grip, can be seen stroking forehands with exaggerated topspin in an instructional film edited by then Chairman of the ITTF Ivor Montagu in 1929.  

In the 1950s, Ogimura and Tanaka, both two time World Champions, hit forehand drives with considerable topspin considering that Ogimura probably used 2 mm. thick foam sponge on his penhold racket and Tanaka probably some kind of early short pipped sandwich sponge.

What has changed, and changed dramatically, is the development of table tennis rubbers that enable a modern world class player to propel a forehand drive with speed and spin unattainable even ten years ago.  $250 and up dollar blades have, though to what extent I do not know, also contributed to the speed and spin are king oriented game that table tennis has become.  And let's not forget the hidden or partially hidden serve plus boosted or tuned rubbers.

I am. having seen the changes that table tennis has gone through over the past 55 years, not too sanguine about the 40+ mm. ball, whether it be the Nittaku 3-star premium or any other brand, braking, so to speak, what I see as the runaway locomotive of speed and spin.  Perhaps the developers or Nittaku Alhelg would be able to make a better guess than I as to whether or not thicker inverted rubbers and possibly eventually all composite rackets (how about it, ITTF?) won't make the sport slower or less spinny than it presently is.

Lee Dal Joon (may he rest in peace) was a damn fine table tennis player.  Even with his 1970 style forehand penhold loop, were he the 31-year-old he was when I first met D.-J., he could probably spot most contributors to this forum 7-8 points in an 11-point game, even using his un-speedglued un-boosted or tuned J.-K. Yasaka penhold affixed with Mark V.  Unfortunately, I can not find any videos of Lee in action on YouTube.  At one time I did have a videotape made in 1971 in which Lee was interviewed by a local sportscaster at his table tennis and pool parlor in downtown Cleveland, Ohio.  He explained why he did not choose to go to China with the American team (he hated the Chinese government and feared he might not be able to return).  After the interview D.-J. demonstrated his forehand loop drive against a practice partner (not visible in the video).  Pure pong poetry.

Edited by berndt_mann - 05/25/2015 at 11:02pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2015 at 4:11am

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Read what Brett said - it's not about copying angles, but about relaxing the wrist so that when you do your backswing, it whips in a way that gives you good momentum on the forward part of the stroke.  It should happen on virtually all your strokes - your hand/arm should not be so tense that you don't have some whip built into your stroke.  No one is or should be looking at the racket angles - what you should be looking at is how much the wrist deviates from the angle of the forearm because of the whip back effect on the backswing.  That effect is in all the videos and the pictures^ are just displaying the result of this effect.
I agree entirely with this.  I have no trouble with the bear (conceptually, that is; I have immense trouble physically).

But the bear is not the problem.  The problem is Lau_hb's suggestion that this is about Extension of the wrist: breaking the natural angle in order to produce more power.  In his blog, he writes
Quote If you lifted your hand up, while keeping the wrist resting on the table and then slapped the table, then you understand the most important role your wrist has to be playing when doing a forehand topspin
 But this is not what happens with the bear.  With a completely relaxed arm, the wrist moves in the same plane as the whole arm is swinging.

Try this:
Hold your arm horizontal from the shoulder, palm up (towards the ceiling); drop your arm then rapidly return it to the horizontal.  What does your wrist do at the moment the arm changes direction from falling to rising? It snaps in the same plane as the arm is moving. The wrist stays parallel to the floor throughout.

Do this again, only this time with the palm facing forwards (neither up nor down).  What does the wrist do this time?  Again it snaps in the same plane as the arm moves, with the wrist staying vertical to the floor.

When the arm is perfectly relaxed, the natural movement of the wrist is in line with the swing of the arm.  When playing a forehand loop, the blade is in the same plane as the wrist and the whip naturally happens in this same plane.  This looks to me to be the natural bend we see in WLQ's wrist.  The only way for this not to be true is if the blade face is opened on the backswing.  Then the wrist can Extend/Flex.

Are we now saying that the face of the blade should not be directly aligned with the plane that the arm is following?

Edited by Tassie52 - 05/26/2015 at 4:13am
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2015 at 4:13am
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Things have changed, but not evolved perhaps quite so much as you might think, smackman.  The forehand loop drive did not commence its evolution with the emergence of Wang Liqin, Wang Hao, Ma Long, Fang Bo, Zhang Yi Ke, Timo Boll or J.-O. Waldner.

A. A. Hayden, an English international using an unusual version of the penhold grip, can be seen stroking forehands with exaggerated topspin in an instructional film edited by then Chairman of the ITTF Ivor Montagu in 1929.  

In the 1950s, Ogimura and Tanaka, both two time World Champions, hit forehand drives with considerable topspin considering that Ogimura probably used 2 mm. thick foam sponge on his penhold racket and Tanaka probably some kind of early short pipped sandwich sponge.

What has changed, and changed dramatically, is the development of table tennis rubbers that enable a modern world class player to propel a forehand drive with speed and spin unattainable even ten years ago.  $250 and up dollar blades have, though to what extent I do not know, also contributed to the speed and spin are king oriented game that table tennis has become.  And let's not forget the hidden or partially hidden serve plus boosted or tuned rubbers.

I am. having seen the changes that table tennis has gone through over the past 55 years, not too sanguine about the 40+ mm. ball, whether it be the Nittaku 3-star premium or any other brand, braking, so to speak, what I see as the runaway locomotive of speed and spin.  Perhaps the developers or Nittaku Alhelg would be able to make a better guess than I as to whether or not thicker inverted rubbers and possibly eventually all composite rackets (how about it, ITTF?) won't make the sport slower or less spinny than it presently is.

Lee Dal Joon (may he rest in peace) was a damn fine table tennis player.  Even with his 1970 style forehand penhold loop, were he the 31-year-old he was when I first met D.-J., he could probably spot most contributors to this forum 7-8 points in an 11-point game, even using his un-speedglued un-boosted or tuned J.-K. Yasaka penhold affixed with Mark V.  Unfortunately, I can not find any videos of Lee in action on YouTube.  At one time I did have a videotape made in 1971 in which Lee was interviewed by a local sportscaster at his table tennis and pool parlor in downtown Cleveland, Ohio.  He explained why he did not choose to go to China with the American team (he hated the Chinese government and feared he might not be able to return).  After the interview D.-J. demonstrated his forehand loop drive against a practice partner (not visible in the video).  Pure pong poetry.

heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2015 at 5:08am
As suggested by others, I don't have any thought of wrist ready position other than I want to accelerate my wrist on contact. When I first saw my photo I was surprised at how I held my racket. 

Off topic: I mentioned a resemblance with my wrist position and I noticed a couple of Australian posters. So speaking of which, do you think I resemble a younger Aussie billionaire Clive Palmer?
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2015 at 5:58am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Read what Brett said - it's not about copying angles, but about relaxing the wrist so that when you do your backswing, it whips in a way that gives you good momentum on the forward part of the stroke.  It should happen on virtually all your strokes - your hand/arm should not be so tense that you don't have some whip built into your stroke.  No one is or should be looking at the racket angles - what you should be looking at is how much the wrist deviates from the angle of the forearm because of the whip back effect on the backswing.  That effect is in all the videos and the pictures^ are just displaying the result of this effect.
I agree entirely with this.  I have no trouble with the bear (conceptually, that is; I have immense trouble physically).

But the bear is not the problem.  The problem is Lau_hb's suggestion that this is about Extension of the wrist: breaking the natural angle in order to produce more power.  In his blog, he writes
Quote If you lifted your hand up, while keeping the wrist resting on the table and then slapped the table, then you understand the most important role your wrist has to be playing when doing a forehand topspin
 But this is not what happens with the bear.  With a completely relaxed arm, the wrist moves in the same plane as the whole arm is swinging.

Try this:
Hold your arm horizontal from the shoulder, palm up (towards the ceiling); drop your arm then rapidly return it to the horizontal.  What does your wrist do at the moment the arm changes direction from falling to rising? It snaps in the same plane as the arm is moving. The wrist stays parallel to the floor throughout.

Do this again, only this time with the palm facing forwards (neither up nor down).  What does the wrist do this time?  Again it snaps in the same plane as the arm moves, with the wrist staying vertical to the floor.

When the arm is perfectly relaxed, the natural movement of the wrist is in line with the swing of the arm.  When playing a forehand loop, the blade is in the same plane as the wrist and the whip naturally happens in this same plane.  This looks to me to be the natural bend we see in WLQ's wrist.  The only way for this not to be true is if the blade face is opened on the backswing.  Then the wrist can Extend/Flex.

Are we now saying that the face of the blade should not be directly aligned with the plane that the arm is following?

If the blade starts cocked backwards and the blade finishes cocked forwards, it likely didn't follow the precise path that the arm was following.  But in any case, at this point, this is hair splitting.    Lau_hb's main point is that purely brushing the ball is not the best way to get spin and forcing the wrist to stay in the same plane as the fore arm is not either.  However, the other point that has come out of this thread is that these things can happen without your consciously forcing the body to do them in an unnatural manner.  Trust me, I never knew that my wrist used to jerk backwards on the end of my backswing.  It was one day that I had a debate with a friend about whether the top pros use their wrist or not and I looked at Ma Long's stroke and noticed that it flapped back on the backswing.  But even after seeing that, I never knew it happened to me until I was watching a video I posted and made a joke about my stroke looking very penholder like.

In my head, I have always considered myself a brush looper.  But my main training partner said that I smack the ball and you hear this thick noise whenever I am hitting the ball.   No, it's not a thick flat noise, but it is the kind of crack you hear when someone is juicing the ball.  Nowadays, to be honest, I am trying to smack the ball as I am realizing that the way I contact the ball in my head might not be optimal unless I am trying to play a pure brush shot.  I am now trying to get the ball to sink as deeply into my rubber as I can on more shots since I tend to use max hard sponges on both sides and the results so far have been interesting.  

But now I know it, I can see it in every good looper's stroke.    Even the ones that sometimes contort their wrists to do unnatural things often have something like it if they do good strokes.  
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2015 at 8:53am
I didn't really pay attention to my wrist, so I am not sure, but I think I use more wrist on a control loop than on a hard shot.  On my kill shot I think I use most of the power from my forearm.  I will try to add more wrist (if I didn't already do so) and see if it adds more power on hard loop.
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2015 at 2:20pm
The comments in this thread seem to answer my question in an older thread I posted in (http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70432&PN=2&title=anyone-want-to-improve-their-stroke-in-10secs) in regards to the "cocking back" motion for the wrist, which seems to be useful.

Looking at the top players mentioned in this thread like WLQ and Ma Long I could not really visually such usage of the wrist--but after seeing the pic of Ma Lin it is pretty apparent that this motion is used.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2015 at 2:32pm
Aerial,

Sorry if I am overstressing this, but I just don't want people to do things that cause injury or create other problems.

No, it is not cocking back. Don't confuse what it looks like with what is happening. If you take your racket back quickly without pausing on the backswing then come forward, you will have the effect your are seeing. I see people doing the cock back thing (which I tried a few years ago and even fairly recently) and that is a different thing entirely and is more akin to a grip switch.

What is going on here is similar to what happens when you are cracking a whip or swinging a pendulum.   You build up energy on the backswing that gets transferred into the forward swing if you don't stop completely on the backswing. If you take your racket back and stop on the backswing, the effect will be lost. If you tense up your arm and wrist and try to do this, the effect will bot happen. For me, it tends to happen so fast that I don't notice it unless I put my stroke in slow motion. I also don't bend over or allow my shoulder to rotate too much because of arthritis, but my point ultimately is that you don't force it - you just do a well timed backswing and stwrt coming forward without stopping immediately the ball bounces. If you backswing too early, you will lose the energy if you have to come to a complete stop beforecoming forward.

Edited by NextLevel - 05/26/2015 at 2:35pm
Cybershape Carbon
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2015 at 2:51pm
Here, ttTurkey, are four photos of the Don in action taken later in life.  

Take note of the relaxed body, mind, and the especially relaxed footwork of Quixote as he executes his monstrously athletic forehand power loop in the upper left picture.  Also check out Quixote's backswing preparatory to firing off his never to be imitated forehand loop in the picture at the lower left.

As an added bonus, I have included Quixote's nonpareil flying backhand loop, shown in the picture on the upper right side, and his famous tick whip open face over the table forehand loop, exhibited in the picture on the lower right.  You just don't see, and will never see, pure unadulterated zenny athleticism like that anymore.  To all cadets and juniors, especially those with a rating of 0 or below:  do not even try to shadow stroke these loop drives at home.  Don Quixote is (was) a trained professional on a closed table

Edited by berndt_mann - 05/26/2015 at 4:51pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2015 at 10:24am
Here's a short video I made a little while ago. I think my wrist doesn't cock back until I begin the forward motion of the stroke.

An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2015 at 5:38pm
That makes sense. If your hand and forearm are moving back together at the same speed there is no reason for the wrist to be cocked. As soon as you change direction of your arm while leaving your wrist relaxed then it is going to go back.
Brett Clarke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2015 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Here's a short video I made a little while ago. I think my wrist doesn't cock back until I begin the forward motion of the stroke.

This is a perfectly timed backswing and stroke, demonstrating the correct relationship between wrist and forearm. 

Edited by Brett Clarke - 05/28/2015 at 12:07pm
Table Tennis Videos by Brett Clarke
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2015 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Brett Clarke Brett Clarke wrote:

This is a perfectly timed backswing and stroke, demonstrating the correct relationship between wrist and forearm. 

I personally wish it more often wasn't so - those things can be annoying and frightening to face.   Whenever I block them, I cho in my mind whether I win the point or not.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2015 at 5:07pm
This response by Richard Prause was insightful and buttressed a point I made earlier.

Cybershape Carbon
Hopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 5:03am
Just had a brainwave this morning, which seems to contribute to this topic.
It deals with an aspect that surprisingly hasn't been mentioned yet.

I call it: Momentum of the feet
In backward and forward swing, you should continously use the pressure of your feet (read toes) to initiate acceleration but also come to a stop at the end of back- and foward swing.

A simplified model of this (for a right hand player):
- pressure from left feet to start backswing
- under/upper body starts to rotate (like a bear!)
- during backward rotation, pressure starts to build up on right feet, which is used as a resistance, forcing the backward swing to decelerate and eventually switch over in a forward swing (Brett uses his hands at the bottom of the bear to simulate this counteracting force - he doesn't do anything with the bear's arm or wrist!) 

It's at the peak of foot/toe resistance, that the backward rotation/movement comes to a stop, the fore-arm still stretches backward but then abruptly is forced forward due to the forward swing, resulting in the wrist unconsciously snapping back. Thus where people in this topic up till now talked about stopping/changing direction of the arm, I feel that the real initiator is much more the foot/toes that determine the forward momentum and therefore the intensity of wrist snap; the more counteracting pressure/resistance you build up with your foot/toes, the more wrist snap you will get.
This is also the reason why Tassie's experiment with the hand dropping doesn't result in a snap; there is no counteracting resistance!
So consciously moving your arm forward will hardly result in wrist snap compared to using your foot/toes to initiate the forward swing and let your arm just follow the movement (DAO Wink)

The same is true for the forward swing, in which resistance from the left foot/toes will lead to a more vigorous snap of the forearm from the elbow.
What actually happens is that increased resistance from the left foot/toe stops the forward body rotation and also stops forward/upward movement of the elbow. Now the energy flows into the fore-arm, leading to a vigorous snap from the elbow.
Try doing a foreward swing without pressure from the left foot/toes, and you'll notice  that the elbow moves further foreward/upward and the snap can only be executed in a more conscious/forced way, thus resulting in a less vigorous movement.

So my statement: More powerfull forehand looping can be achieved by unconscious wrist- and elbow snapping, which can be pre-dominantly optimized/influenced by footpressure / grounding.

Good use of footpressure allows for a more relaxed upperbody / less conscious movements, since energy is flowing from the feet through the body and the counteracting forces from left and right foot results in desired "snap" forces.

Same methodology also applies for BH loop, where increased right foot pressure locks the elbow low at the same place and snaps the forearm fore-/upward around the elbow.

As always: It's all in the feet!

Glad to hear your opinion about this.

Edited by Hopper - 06/18/2015 at 7:38am
wanhao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanhao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2015 at 10:41pm
Forehand Power Loop - so the modern technique now is a "almost fully extended arm when swing back" for more powerful ? 
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2015 at 10:47pm
Plus the Hurricane 3 National on a custom-made blade.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2015 at 11:25pm
Too lazy to read lol... but the modern technique for chinese looping is to use the upper arm for power, lower arm for control/spin, and contacting the ball at 70-80 degrees-ish (not the usual closed racket angle or 45 degrees)
illinichamps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illinichamps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2015 at 12:23pm
My 2 cents...
First of all when I changed from jpen to shake last year I had to reconstruct my whole fh swing and it took a lot of time effort and coaching. The angles are so different as the jpen style is focused on hitting 90% fh only. Anyways last year my coach showed me this looping style and his explanation is as so.
Don't know if any of you play tennis but it's like a open fh topspin shot. Where the legs are almost even and you pull back your arm to the side with the paddle almost perpendicular to floor (bending your knees for the up and down motion) and then like a sling shot your arm moves forward because your feet and legs are giving resistance and making your waist turn and your arm just comes along for the ride ^^ That was my looping style for a while until about 3 months ago. Why I changed is because I realize that this style needs to be relaxed, like all the above posters mentioned. But for amateurs like us its VERY VERY hard to stay relaxed because most of us hold jobs etc and don't have enough practice time to make this a very natural swing. Also to make this most effective, you need to anticipate what ball is coming to you before or (though a little bit late) when your opponent is making contact the ball, it is then that you should already be starting your backswing.. and without ample practice, swing speed and experience to recognize the balls before they are hit, often i found myself doing a hurried backswing and having a non-relaxed swing. I realized that also this loop required a rather big backswing which also resulted in a longer finish which led to me having less time for recovery mode.. 
In Sum, I realized this swing in my perspective for amateurs is rather inefficient and causes a lot of angst. 
So for me I changed my swing to the Jun Mizutani swing (like nextlevel said he is trying. DO IT!!) at first cocking my wrist back so much felt so unnatural but after three months of practice and games I don't even think about it and it happens naturally. It is so natural it is actually affecting my tennis game (badly in this case) because I now naturally cock back my wrist doing my fh tennis stroke. haha.. anyways.. why i feel this stroke is better is because even though it may not be as powerful as the above stroke mentioned, you get so much control meaning you can place your loops wherever you want, your swing becomes more compact so you can be more ready for your next hit, you can deceive your opponent with how much wrist you use (so even if it is the same fh loop depending on the amount of wrist you use people have a hard time seeing how much spin there is and so causes mistakes on blocks and counter loops.) I just feel that this swing is so much easier and effective to amateurs that are around 2000 or below. Obviously if you are above 2000 and are serious about the game to get better the above swing is a must.. but i say if you can't practice everyday and want to be good but also want to just have fun try the jun mizutani swing.. ^^
btw with this JM swing (though it's not only him that has this swing) it's very hard to do what the OP is suggesting to do.. 

Edited by illinichamps - 06/29/2015 at 12:29pm
H3 Prov. |MJ SZLC | 05 FX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illinichamps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2015 at 12:47pm
oh also.. the JM swing is better because your bh swing is already ready (the more cocked it is, the less follow through you need so makes a more compact bh swing) and with the fh swing you can impart sidespin/topspin more easily as well so if you mix up sidespin/topspin with your topspin loops make you even a better player..
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2015 at 2:09pm
illinichamps,

Clarification - I am not changing to the Mizutani swing - I am talking about Mizutani's flatter forehand topspin contact which is less brushy than say Timo Boll.  I am likely going to go back and forth in practice as I am finding that my loss of the brushy stroke has reduced my consistency in certain strokes like serve return and that until I work out how if any other way is possible, I need to keep the brushy stroke.

I don't think that one should consciously cock the wrist though if one wants to loop with a BH type grip  like Mizutani, that is okay.  It can still be done in a relaxed manner and I don't think one should confuse big strokes with relaxation.  Mizutani's wrist is relaxed as is Boll's as is Xu Xin's as is Ma Long's.  Letting your wrist be relaxed is always better.  The other way (forcing it to do things) can lead to injury and stress.  Just use a relaxed stroke, miss a few balls while learning it but making other balls as well and in time, it becomes a part of you.  The problem is that when people first try it, they want to be as consistent with the new stroke as the old one without giving the new stroke a learning period.  This can happen on occasion (I have seen it in some people), but more often, you have to give yourself time to adapt and use the stroke consistently.  So I always encourage people to MISS with the new stroke until they get a hang of it.  Because you can tell when a stroke is good/relaxed but the student whiffed, vs when the stroke is bad and the student made it.
Cybershape Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illinichamps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2015 at 2:33pm
IC.. about your swing..
But for me I have a bh grip like mizutani and forcing myself to cock back my wrist intentionally has helped a lot. I don't know for others but for me practicing in this forced fashion for three months has given me a cock of the wrist that is now natural and I do it without any thought.  I think (atleast for me) relaxed means I have practiced the same stroke over and over again in various situations and I have confidence in my stroke so I don't have to think about my stroke, I just do it. Obviously my cock is not as exaggerated as when i first started and I think that is good but it still looks like my wrist is broken when i do my backswing and i gotta say I think its the way to go.. there are many pros that have some version of the broken wrist stroke.. and i think there is no real risk of injury with cocking back your wrist. It is a very natural stroke. It only gets dangerous when you cock back and do the thing that the OP suggests, to lift. that makes it very unnatural and you can understand why someone could get injured. But that is why I am saying both are different strokes and using the wrists in different ways. I use both loop strokes but now I am using my JM stroke a lot more for better control and placement and using the former stroke to hit a more powerful loop. I think with many people they don't understand you don't need to hit the loop with 100% strength all the time and try to over power the opponent. You can play chess with each stroke and then at the most opportune moment to hit it with everything you have.. Of course pros seem to be hitting each shot with almost 100% of their strength but thats because they are pros (and we know they aren't hitting 100%, it just seems like it)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2015 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by illinichamps illinichamps wrote:

IC.. about your swing..
But for me I have a bh grip like mizutani and forcing myself to cock back my wrist intentionally has helped a lot. I don't know for others but for me practicing in this forced fashion for three months has given me a cock of the wrist that is now natural and I do it without any thought.  I think (atleast for me) relaxed means I have practiced the same stroke over and over again in various situations and I have confidence in my stroke so I don't have to think about my stroke, I just do it. Obviously my cock is not as exaggerated as when i first started and I think that is good but it still looks like my wrist is broken when i do my backswing and i gotta say I think its the way to go.. there are many pros that have some version of the broken wrist stroke.. and i think there is no real risk of injury with cocking back your wrist. It is a very natural stroke. It only gets dangerous when you cock back and do the thing that the OP suggests, to lift. that makes it very unnatural and you can understand why someone could get injured. But that is why I am saying both are different strokes and using the wrists in different ways. I use both loop strokes but now I am using my JM stroke a lot more for better control and placement and using the former stroke to hit a more powerful loop. I think with many people they don't understand you don't need to hit the loop with 100% strength all the time and try to over power the opponent. You can play chess with each stroke and then at the most opportune moment to hit it with everything you have.. Of course pros seem to be hitting each shot with almost 100% of their strength but thats because they are pros (and we know they aren't hitting 100%, it just seems like it)

I agree with a lot of what you wrote and if forcing it worked for you, it worked and I will give you one reason why.  What you have is a forehand hook loop with some adjustments that may give more topspin than sidespin but will usually give more sidespin than topspin.  Good for counterlooping with hooking loops and corkscrew loops and avoiding the main spin axis on heavy topspin.  My coach is making this the default loop for many of his advanced (and in some cases, not so advanced) students. Many pros loop out of BH biased grips when counterlooping in order to avoid the major spin axis and to make it easier to hit the ball sometimes. 

You can consciously change your wrist position to hit a different loop (hook, fade, topspin, side top, side back).  You can also sometimes fix it to reduce the spin you are adding (dummy loop) or relax it for maximum whip.  

I am just saying that the part about being relaxed is key and has nothing to do with how much practice you have.  Tense strokes are dangerous in this sport (or any sport for that matter) and they are usually the result of people being asked to perform at levels their technique cannot support.  Don't compromise on relaxation while playing this sport.  
Cybershape Carbon
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2015 at 3:51pm
Very good advice all around. I have a question of my own. There's a lot of information here about using the wrist in the forehand loop. However, I find it most comfortable to have minimal wrist movement, and to produce most of the spin through the forearm snap and torso/legs. Is this a problem? A top CNT coach once likened the use of the wrist to PHD level table tennis play - I am certainly not at that level of play yet. Do I need to focus on using the wrist, or should I remain with a relatively stable and fixed wrist through the stroke.

Also, wrist movement seems minimal in some skilled players' technique, such as this Hong Kong player. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-KLXdeLEBw

I would also like to note that one should be careful with wrist movements. Flexion and extension are natural movements of the wrist, but radial and ulnar deviation done repetitively can cause carpal tunnel - this is why many keyboard users develop carpal tunnel. Safer wrist movements are either flexion/extension or rotation of the forearm that transfers through the wrist.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2015 at 4:10pm
As long as you are relaxed when you play, everything will be fine.  Knowing all the muscles/nerve problems that people get hunching over keyboards for hours, I seriously doubt that a motion naturally used to wave goodbye is the primary source of carpal tunnel syndrome, but in the end, the key is to be relaxed.
Cybershape Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illinichamps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2015 at 7:37pm
@Nextlevel.. I agree with a lot with what you say bro. And yes I believe that relaxation is key in the game because if you don't you will be easily fatigued, you will lose touch on your short shots and other shots, and you won't be able to transition into your next shot smoothly. However, I do think lots of practice= to relaxation in my case. Of course if it is a totally irregular grip and stroke I think even with a lot of practice you might have lots of relaxation problems but i think in this case it felt very foreign to me because I come from playing jpen many years since junior high school which is a fh oriented grip to using a bh oriented grip and cocking that sucker back. But as I said, lots of practice over the couple months has given a lot of confidence with the stroke and now I do it unconsciously, leading to smooth relaxed strokes. But I gotta say, a lot of your insight has really helped me greatly and understand a lot of why some of the things i do work and why they don't work..

@ argothman, dude I love that HK player too.. that pp station youtube channel is da bomb! hehe.. yeah he doesn't show the wrist movement and depending on the player some have an exaggerated wrist movement and some have a slight one. If you look at all the top players and watch their fh loop you can see it is there. (Prime examples are #1. RSM #2. Jun mizutani etc..) Why they don't teach it is because if you can't do a normal swing properly, it will mess you up major time. You need to be able to hit one normally without any wrist action first like 100 times in a row to learn this properly. One key difference from american players and korean players (or maybe coaching style) is that in korean coaching you need to kind of 'master' one skill to go on to the next. Like when I first learned, the first thing you learn in korean coaching is footwork. They don't care about teaching you bh, fh, loop whatever. Footwork is key. Then they teach you fh and bh and you combine that with footwork. They make you do that for MONTHS (and in korea you go everyday for lessons) when you have finally 'mastered' that then you learn the push and so on. You never are let to go on to the next level until you 'mastered' in the eyes of your coach, the strokes and footwork. That is why korean players are tough because they have sound techniques and american players have all sorts of different quirks which sometimes throws me off my game. (I had one basement playing fellow that would sorta hop everytime he looped. It was sort of a halfloop- half slap.. but with his 6-3 frame it was a nasty shot. But when I first saw it, I laughed so hard for a couple games.. couldn't get over how funny it looked but he was really good.)
I think because of this teaching method I have a very correct swing that can be replicated in my sleep and when you have a correct swing I think that is where you can improvise and improve as long as you don't mess with your swing. 
How I learned this swing method is from my partner. I was losing to him and frustrated a couple of months ago I said 'whats wrong with me why can't i win against you.' First thing he said was footwork. TT is a foot and leg game (I think that is what asians say). Many koreans play jpen style which requires great footwork, the strength of his game is that he is like a freakin nadal playing TT. He gets almost every shot and I hate it. hahahaahahahahahah Even though he is my friend sometimes I hate him so badly for getting impossible shots after impossible shots and it is all due to his footwork. Second he said my swing was too long winded and that I needed to compact my swing he explained it like being a boxer hitting lots of jabs and then going for the KO for EVERY point. I understood that but when I tried playing like that I told him my shots were so weak and non-spiny if I hit like that and thats when he told me its all in the wrist bro.. 
I think normally coaches don't teach the wrist until very much later as yes it is the phd. And trust me I ain't a phd in TT but I wanted to cheat and learn so I begged him to teach me. My partner only knew how to  use the wrist because his father-in-law is still a korean national TT coach and he learned from the best. 
Anyways.. I suggest that if you don't have your fh loop down pat where you can rally atleast 100 times no problem, don't do it. But if you can, then this is definitely the next step and learning this has lead me to win against my partner for the first time last week (after trying for one and a half years ahahahahah)
Neways, if you can get a coach to teach you that is the best I think. I like to tinker but improvements like these can actually become a detriment to your fh stroke.. so i would suggest to becareful. But yeah it has done wonders to my game and I fully recommend it.
Cheers
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2015 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Argothman Argothman wrote:

Very good advice all around. I have a question of my own. There's a lot of information here about using the wrist in the forehand loop. However, I find it most comfortable to have minimal wrist movement, and to produce most of the spin through the forearm snap and torso/legs. Is this a problem? A top CNT coach once likened the use of the wrist to PHD level table tennis play - I am certainly not at that level of play yet. Do I need to focus on using the wrist, or should I remain with a relatively stable and fixed wrist through the stroke.

Also, wrist movement seems minimal in some skilled players' technique, such as this Hong Kong player. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-KLXdeLEBw

I would also like to note that one should be careful with wrist movements. Flexion and extension are natural movements of the wrist, but radial and ulnar deviation done repetitively can cause carpal tunnel - this is why many keyboard users develop carpal tunnel. Safer wrist movements are either flexion/extension or rotation of the forearm that transfers through the wrist.

Wrist movement that seems minimal is actually still there. The important part about forehand, or any stroke, actually, is that at the moment of contact, your hand should "squeeze" the  racket so that it doesn't  "wiggle." This is important because if it wiggles, your power is dissipated. That is why most table tennis coaches recommend you to use very little wrist, "very little" but not "no wrist." It's impossible to loop well with no wrist. The more you are able to use your wrist, but also keep your racket from wiggling, the better you are. It's hard to describe this with words, but most people who use too much wrist aren't doing it right, because they hold the racket way too loosely at the moment of contact while trying to "flick" their wrists to generate spin. For non-pro players, using less wrist is recommended because most do not practice nearly enough to be able to keep this consistency of relaxation before the hitting the ball and gripping the racket more tightly at the moment of contact. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illinichamps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 1:12am
Originally posted by MLfan MLfan wrote:

Originally posted by Argothman Argothman wrote:

Wrist movement that seems minimal is actually still there. The important part about forehand, or any stroke, actually, is that at the moment of contact, your hand should "squeeze" the  racket so that it doesn't  "wiggle." This is important because if it wiggles, your power is dissipated. That is why most table tennis coaches recommend you to use very little wrist, "very little" but not "no wrist." It's impossible to loop well with no wrist. The more you are able to use your wrist, but also keep your racket from wiggling, the better you are. It's hard to describe this with words, but most people who use too much wrist aren't doing it right, because they hold the racket way too loosely at the moment of contact while trying to "flick" their wrists to generate spin. For non-pro players, using less wrist is recommended because most do not practice nearly enough to be able to keep this consistency of relaxation before the hitting the ball and gripping the racket more tightly at the moment of contact. 

+1 absolutely how i learned it as well. 
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 10:48am
need an opinion: for a loop drive what part does the shoulder play, should it lead the arm or follow it and the plus and minus of the two approaches.

Edited by tom - 06/30/2015 at 1:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic