Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Make your forehand loop even more powerful!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

need an opinion: for a loop drive what part does the shoulder play, should it lead the arm or follow it and the plus and minus of the two approaches.

No comments?  I thought many members would have thoughts on this.
Sponsored Links

illinichamps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illinichamps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 7:48pm
If you read my above posts you understand that a fh loop begins with the feet, legs, waist and then the arm should be loose and going along for the ride. So.. there is not much thought about the shoulder. If you are concerned about that then your form is wrong. The only thing your shoulder should do is drop slightly when you are looping against underspin. 
H3 Prov. |MJ SZLC | 05 FX
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 7:53pm
The role of the shoulder is relatively small in a loop drive.  It serves the role of relaying the momentum from the lower body and controls the direction of the swing(more vertical for a slow loop and more horizontal for a fast loop).  In that regard, the shoulder should lead the arm.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 12:12am
illi and zeio, Will look into your input little more over the next few days.  Now I remember I asked my coach about this a while back but can't remember what she said.  Will ask next time I see her
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 12:43am

illi and zeio, Will look into your input little more over the next few days.  Now I remember I asked my coach about this a while back but can't remember what she said.  Will ask next time I see her
Tom, 
Here is a video from the world of Tennis. See if this might help. 
I think if you started another thread on this you might have gotten more responses.
Thanks
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 10:43am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Tom, 
I think if you started another thread on this you might have gotten more responses.
Thanks
JRS, thank you for the video, what points am I am observing that could help with the loop ?
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 12:10pm

Tom, 
Thanks
JRS, thank you for the video, what points am I am observing that could help with the loop ?
Loose arm, swing with shoulder - low to high will provide topspin without having to cover the ball. Should be much easier to swing -but timing could be an issue in TT. Really saves the arm. But requires good footwork and starting the swing early and hitting in front than the side.
Butterfly MPS
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 11:10am

the advice is to use the shoulders to supplement the loop drive just before contact
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 12:01pm
For me, I never really think about turning at the shoulders, but at the hips.  It's impossible to rotate your hips without the shoulders going along for the ride, so I just think about turning at the hips to ensure both lower and upper body rotation occurs.

Edited by Ringer84 - 07/03/2015 at 12:02pm
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

For me, I never really think about turning at the shoulders, but at the hips.  It's impossible to rotate your hips without the shoulders going along for the ride, so I just think about turning at the hips to ensure both lower and upper body rotation occurs.
of course the hips and the weight transfers would be the major force, but it doesn't mean you can't supplement it
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 1:32pm

of course the hips and the weight transfers would be the major force, but it doesn't mean you can't supplement it
Key for me is try NOT use the arm - but legs, hips, torso and shoulders. But in tight situation still go back to hitting with the arm. It's not easy to stay relaxed move the feet and generate a smooth swing without using the arm. 

But you should try the various techniques and see which one fits your game. As they say "different strokes for different folks!"
Butterfly MPS
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 2:03pm

I guess the shoulders "supplement" the stroke, but I would never consciously think about using my shoulders in a FH loop.  If you snap your hips through the ball, the shoulders will snap through together with them. I doubt that any high level player gives much thought to what their shoulder is doing, except to possibly lower it slightly to lift heavy underspin,  like Illinischamp said.  I am not a high level player, however, so I'm ready and willing to be corrected.

To me, there are only 3 things that truly matter in a FH loop stroke:

1) proper arm movement (swing plane) that corresponds to where the ball is in its trajectory

2) hip rotation and initiating the swing from the hips

3) proper timing (contact point)

Edited by Ringer84 - 07/03/2015 at 2:08pm
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 2:18pm

Key for me is try NOT use the arm - but legs, hips, torso and shoulders. But in tight situation still go back to hitting with the arm. It's not easy to stay relaxed move the feet and generate a smooth swing without using the arm. 

But you should try the various techniques and see which one fits your game. As they say "different strokes for different folks!"
thanks, I think all (most) of the viewpoints from the members  are valid, but like you said it has to complement my strength and weakness (there is only so much I can change on a 3 days a week basis).  It would be just to decide which area I should  emphasis a little bit more, without committing a major no no.

Edited by tom - 07/03/2015 at 3:45pm
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 2:25pm

I guess the shoulders "supplement" the stroke, but I would never consciously think about using my shoulders in a FH loop.  If you snap your hips through the ball, the shoulders will snap through together with them. I doubt that any high level player gives much thought to what their shoulder is doing, except to possibly lower it slightly to lift heavy underspin,  like Illinischamp said.  I am not a high level player, however, so I'm ready and willing to be corrected.

To me, there are only 3 things that truly matter in a FH loop stroke:

1) proper arm movement (swing plane) that corresponds to where the ball is in its trajectory

2) hip rotation and initiating the swing from the hips

3) proper timing (contact point)

there is nothing wrong with your points.  what brought this up for me is that having not thinking about it for a while, I was trying to snap back to the ready position quickly from a loop drive and is debating whether my follow thru position which included the shoulders is too much.  Without access to my coach at that time is the reason I raised the question a few days back.  I am going to trim back on it for sure as I generated enough power without a big follow thru last night
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic