FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

JUIC couga - fast?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JUIC couga - fast?
    Posted: 05/22/2015 at 9:25pm
I have seen reviews commenting on the "blazing speed" of JUIC couga - several comments even mentioning it as faster than a glued Bryce.

However these comments are several years old now...

Has anyone tried JUIC Couga - is it fast even by today's standards? Or is it just similar to Rakza 7 speed? 
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Sponsored Links

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2015 at 9:48pm
I played with Couga back in 2007 with speed glue. It was faster than Bryce but very low durability. Hard to say about its speed without speed glue.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2015 at 9:56pm
Interesting - so with glue - it's really faster than anything there is today ? (or ever?)

Without glue I have read that it was still as fast as a glued Bryce (which would make it an option!), but harder to loop with...

After my Rakza 7 sheet wears out, I am considering trying Couga or Hammond Pro Beta - basically something fast, with OK spin and not spin sensitive - I had tried Calibra but it turned out that it did not suit me so well...

Rakza 7 suits me apart from: 1) too high throw 2) too spin sensitive 
for the BH 
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2015 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Clarence247 Clarence247 wrote:

Interesting - so with glue - it's really faster than anything there is today ? (or ever?)

Without glue I have read that it was still as fast as a glued Bryce (which would make it an option!), but harder to loop with...

After my Rakza 7 sheet wears out, I am considering trying Couga or Hammond Pro Beta - basically something fast, with OK spin and not spin sensitive - I had tried Calibra but it turned out that it did not suit me so well...

Rakza 7 suits me apart from: 1) too high throw 2) too spin sensitive 
for the BH 

Couga nad HPB are very, very different rubbers... Couga is tacky, HPB completely non-tacky. Couga is good for spinny loops, HPB not so much.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2015 at 10:25pm
Clarence,

With speed glue it was really a rocket maybe it can be used with booster but for me It's hard to compare because it was too many time ago..

If you want something fast with lower throw and not too sensitive to spin and Calibra did not suit you well (why?) maybe you should look into rubbers like Andro Roxon 500 or their new line Plaxon.. more focused on speed.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2015 at 10:52pm
With Calibra I felt that if I hit with the sponge - the ball had good quality (fast, spinny direct - wonderful feeling better than tensors) - but when hit on fine contact (opening spinny loop without engaging the sponge) the topsheet often dropped the ball, and did not provide enough power on such finer shots...

Also, it has a long trajectory which was a bit too long for me... the balls landed but I could not vary placement as I wanted to...

the 3rd thing was that my pushes were a lot less spinny than with Rakza and my opponents easily lifted them and started the attack.... 

Rakza pushes very well, opens with spin nicely , drives well (not as nice as Calibra) , but then Rakza has an annoying high throw ( Calibra throw was more comfortable - it was not too low, but lower than Rakza), and the rubber feels as though its asking you to spin all the time... to maintain optimal control. It is also a touch too spin sensitive (again here Calibra was wonderful)

I was hoping that Hammond Pro Beta kind of mixes the advantages of these 2...
medium low throw, not so spin sensitive, can open loop spinny on fine topsheet shots, can vary placement well, can push wel, can drive and block well.... can also spin hard and fast when driving through the sponge ... etc....

Then I came accors JUIC Couga which seems might also be good...

so as BH rubbers I am considering:
Hammond Pro Beta (favourite so far)
JUIC Couga
Bryce Speed FX

I do not really like bouncy tensors that much (in fact Rakza is acceptable for me because its not THAT bouncy) and Calibra I did not find bouncy - it has a nice classic feel to it but fast and powerful like old glued rubbers.

Out of that list, which do you think are the better options?

Is Andro Roxon similar / better to these?
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2015 at 1:33pm
I don't now too much about Hammond Pro Beta, this one is better wait for other opinions.

Bryce Speed Fx you will have the same problem as Calibra, you have to engage the sponge all the time.

If you have this problem so I can't recomend Roxon anymore because you also have to engage the sponge.

I don't know, you're looking to put together a lot of different features in a single rubber.. You'll always gain something and loss something and you have to balance it with proper technique and training.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2015 at 1:48pm

I believe Couga is not available in USA anymore.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2015 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

I don't now too much about Hammond Pro Beta, this one is better wait for other opinions.

Bryce Speed Fx you will have the same problem as Calibra, you have to engage the sponge all the time.

If you have this problem so I can't recomend Roxon anymore because you also have to engage the sponge.

I don't know, you're looking to put together a lot of different features in a single rubber.. You'll always gain something and loss something and you have to balance it with proper technique and training.

Basically I am looking for a rubber like Sriver EL (that you can mix techniques and vary a lot - hit, drive-loop, fine loop opening spin etc...) but a lot faster because my emphasis is on driving / active blocking during rallies.... pushes vs backspin serves and opening loop vs backspin return.

Sriver EL does all this well, but is not fast enough - Calibra was fast enough but is not versatile... 

From what I read and what was recommended - it seems Hammond Pro Beta is just about right... spinnier than Bryce Speed FX, maybe a bit slower, but equally good at active blocks and drives....

But JUIC Couga also caught my eye, and I was wondering if it really is fat by nowadays standards... and if it can do other things apart from drive and flick!

Of course I train regularly and focus on technique with a coach
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2015 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I believe Couga is not available in USA anymore.

I'm in Europe - I found Couga at table tennis 11
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2015 at 5:48pm
[QUOTE=Clarence247]
medium low throw, not so spin sensitive, can open loop spinny on fine topsheet shots, can vary placement well, can push wel, can drive and block well.... can also spin hard and fast when driving through the sponge ... etc....

JUIC Couga
Bryce Speed FX

I do not really like bouncy tensors that much (in fact Rakza is acceptable for me because its not THAT bouncy) and Calibra I did not find bouncy - it has a nice classic feel to it but fast and powerful like old glued rubbers.

[/QUOTE

I recently ordered  Hammond Pro Beta for my BH from TT Japan so it will be a week or two before it arrives but I will PM U with any info once I test it.  
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2015 at 10:23pm
Why not just try to spin all the time and practice punching to have it as an alternative? Isn't that what the better players do?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2015 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Why not just try to spin all the time and practice punching to have it as an alternative? Isn't that what the better players do?

I like to play naturally during matches - certainly I would not mould my technique around a rubber I have - rather I would find a rubber that would fit into the way I play. 

As I said, I definitely train in technique to be able to do everything - however the frequency with which i execute each particular shot and the choice I make when given 2 options - I want to make naturally without having to adapt to my equipment. 

For me, the best equipment is not the fastest, spinniest most expensive or most famous... rather it is the rubber which allows me to play the way I want to with the best success rate. 

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2015 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

[QUOTE=Clarence247]

JUIC Couga
Bryce Speed FX

[/QUOTE

I recently ordered  Hammond Pro Beta for my BH from TT Japan so it will be a week or two before it arrives but I will PM U with any info once I test it.  

Great! thx! 
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic