Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Poll: Blade weight and handle preferences

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What handle type and weight range do you prefer for your blades?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [6.12%]
3 [3.06%]
29 [29.59%]
19 [19.39%]
4 [4.08%]
4 [4.08%]
14 [14.29%]
7 [7.14%]
3 [3.06%]
2 [2.04%]
4 [4.08%]
1 [1.02%]
1 [1.02%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.02%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poll: Blade weight and handle preferences
    Posted: 05/23/2015 at 8:50pm
I would like to conduct a more up to date poll on peoples' preferences about their blades, particularly of those in the market for a new blade or those who buy/EJ frequently.

Because I have a limited amount of poll options for this thread, I was not able to include every handle type, nor account for further details. I'm interested to know if you could all share in posts below:

-Handle type if not included in poll options
-Carbon/composite fiber types you prefer (if any)
-Specific head size/shape preferences (if any, such as: compact, oversize, elongated, brand specific, etc)
-Wood/compositional preferences (if any)

Edited by schen - 05/23/2015 at 8:52pm
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Sponsored Links

ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2015 at 5:33pm
Currently using ST Donic WSC JO Shape
Carbon 2 + 5 Wood, dunno the core wood name but its stiff and hard, takes a fingernail mark easy.
Its JO shape aka Egg/drop shape, I like it over the regular ones by a mile
Its only OFF- and I agree. that is the only con.
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2015 at 5:57pm
FL or ST
<80g preferred (rubbers bring the paddle up to my desired ~180 g range)
All-wood, hard outer ply.
Normal head size

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2015 at 6:05pm
I used to like light blades and setups of < 180g.

Surprisingly, I've really taken to my current set-up:
95g Barwell Fleet FL (size: 158x152) / MX-P / T80 for a total of 198g.

It's all about blade balance as this does not feel heavy (I guess the handles of the heavier BFs are relatively heavier). Don't care much about T80 but that was the only red rubber I had.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2015 at 6:32pm
I can't vote, given that my preferences aren't in the list.  Having played with Ross's "knife handle" design, it's a clear winner for comfort; and the head shape is also unique - a much smaller version of the original Barna shape.

All wood is a must.  Most of the blades Ross has made for me have a balsa core but my current blade has kiri.  I've haven't reached a conclusion about which is preferable.  Perhaps I need to get Ross to make me something new.  I've got a couple of different ideas...
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2015 at 7:17pm
Blade weight is just one parameter, racket weight is at least as important...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2015 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Blade weight is just one parameter, racket weight is at least as important...

agreed!
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2015 at 10:21pm
always the 80/20 rule here, most of what is sold is 80-89 gram flared handle blades
so 

weighing a bat is new to me anyway (well I never thought about it untill I came on this forum)
 maybe 3% of my customers ever ask me to weigh something
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2015 at 11:39pm
I always prefer FL, and a blade as light as possible. Current blade is about 65g.... love it and still plenty of power. Tongue

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2015 at 9:24am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

weighing a bat is new to me anyway (well I never thought about it untill I came on this forum)
 maybe 3% of my customers ever ask me to weigh something

Me too, but when I dropped ~$130 on a blade I wanted to make sure I got a slightly lighter edition of the blade. I asked for someone to weigh it for me. It was a TB ALC. The difference between 84g and 90g on the same blade could really make a difference in my attempt to make a blade of similar weight to my old one. Nexy has you tell them the weight in a drop down. I hope that becomes a thing.

wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2015 at 9:26am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

I always prefer FL, and a blade as light as possible. Current blade is about 65g.... love it and still plenty of power. Tongue

Power will be less with a lighter blade. That's just the nature of the beast. However bat speed is everything.
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2015 at 9:36am
I think "what does it weigh?" is the first question I get when selling one of my blades.  Without doubt, "around 85g" and FL are the choices I get.  Of course there are a few that simply want "as light as you can make it"

Ratt "ghost" (OS kiri, balsa, kiri) innova UL/ Tibhar Grass D.tecs
Ratt "mouse" (mahogany, 3- kiri, mahogany) T05/ giant dragon talon
Tibhar Furious/ juic 999/ Tibhar Grass D.Tecs
Ross Leidy custom
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2015 at 9:40am
Thank you everyone for the input, please keep them coming!

Dynasty / H3 / H3
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2015 at 9:53am
my answer to "as light as you can make it"

Ratt "ghost" (OS kiri, balsa, kiri) innova UL/ Tibhar Grass D.tecs
Ratt "mouse" (mahogany, 3- kiri, mahogany) T05/ giant dragon talon
Tibhar Furious/ juic 999/ Tibhar Grass D.Tecs
Ross Leidy custom
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2015 at 10:05am
To me, blades under 90 g have always felt 'empty' that's why I am ashamed of two Viscarias that I own, but have one covered in battle scars. It's 91 g vs 87.5 g but it feels so much more solid. 

The blade I used longer than any other was a Clipper CR no WRB that weighed 99g, and it was the best. 

Edited by beeray1 - 05/29/2015 at 10:06am
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2015 at 10:15am
I like both FL and ST, provided they are both on the thick side. For example the donic senso FL is good (but the ST isn't), while the Viscaria FL is too narrow for me. I like the SQST such at the Maze Off ST
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2015 at 2:25pm
Xiom Hayabusa Z+, Both Flaired and Straight Handles, and all three examples are between 77.5 and 79 gms.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2015 at 2:47pm
AN, 85 gms and balance towards the handle. Clap
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2015 at 3:17pm
I largely use blades about 87-88g (can accept heavier if the handle is fuller), mostly ST handle but a few flares.  All wood, mostly allround in speed.  Conical Flare also a good choice.  Anatomic, not so much.  I'm usually a limba-ayous guy.  I haven't tried hinoki or koto in a while, though I might give them a look if I ever try a composite blade again. I have a lot of Allround blades - it's just my thing.  Surprisingly, I tried someone's extra light T11 with T05FX and T80FX rubbers and was impressed...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2015 at 1:07am
FL or ST, doesn't matter to me, but weight... somewhere between 90-120 grams with weight lower is better to meez.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2015 at 9:06am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

To me, blades under 90 g have always felt 'empty' that's why I am ashamed of two Viscarias that I own, but have one covered in battle scars. It's 91 g vs 87.5 g but it feels so much more solid. 

The blade I used longer than any other was a Clipper CR no WRB that weighed 99g, and it was the best. 

I am glad there are still people who prefers heavier blades!
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
flamingmdn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flamingmdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2015 at 2:52pm
I used to play with 90-95 allwood blades with centered balance. They feel solid in all kinds of shots.
I was surprised that I can handle 102gr Mazunov, but it was easy.
So now my answer is: allwood 95+ without any hollow handles stuff.
Gewo Sensus Carbo Speed | Vega X
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2015 at 8:22am
currently FL90+ but often ST89+
total weight of setups should be around 190g
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2017 at 7:44am
Resurfacing this thread without having to make a new one, hopefully not hijacking it completely.

You boys ever position your rubbers a certain way to save weight on the bat? More rubber towards the top exposing the blade. (yes head heavy)

Had a shrunken T64 on the BH exposing bottom and a little edge of my blade. Recently switched to a brand new sheet of t80 on the BH and have been overshooting on my FH & having a harder time engaging the wrist on shots

don't really care about BH shots as much as FH

I've used it for 4 sessions now and FH game is lacking confidence on full swings
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2017 at 9:10am
Still don't know what cs is lol, the thing is a ling pimple players blade and rubbers total weight is going to be much lighter than average but my power is still there 
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2017 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by passifid passifid wrote:

currently FL90+ but often ST89+
total weight of setups should be around 190g

My total racket weight is 225 grams...Shocked
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2017 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by mon22 mon22 wrote:

You boys ever position your rubbers a certain way to save weight on the bat? More rubber towards the top exposing the blade. (yes head heavy)

As a penholder, my forehand rubber always leaves about a 1" gap above the handle.  I've seen some shakehand players do this too, but not as drastically.  You can actually feel a difference in the blade's flex and vibration (less material covering the neck of the blade?) when you do this more so than the weight (less total mass of rubber on racket, but shifted towards being top heavy almost cancel each other out).

I also know a few penholders who glue their rubber all the way to the handle on the forehand, but it just never felt right to me.

Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Still don't know what cs is lol

I think it stands for "Chinese Style" referring to cpen.  Some shops (and most chinese shops) list their penhold blades with that abbreviation.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2017 at 9:12pm
I typically play FL in the upper 80s so that's what I voted. Currently playing a 95g Clipper which is taking a while to get used to.

I can't help but feel ST grip would suit my play style more because I play combination attacks from both wings but the handle shape just feels weird to me lol.
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2017 at 3:04am
Above 90 gr, even my Stiga CRW7 which is 107 gr, doesn't feel heavy.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic