Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - is there a "Guide to Flat Hitting/Smash" available
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

is there a "Guide to Flat Hitting/Smash" available

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amekun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amekun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is there a "Guide to Flat Hitting/Smash" available
    Posted: 07/01/2015 at 7:31am
Good day everyone
i was wondering if everyone knows a guide for Flat Hitting/Smashing
or a How to on the following spins:

No Spin
Topspin
Backspin

Best Regards

Amekun
Offensive Set Up:
Ross Leidy Custom/DHS Hurricane 3 Prov/ Nittaku Alhelg

Defensive Set up:
LKT Toxic 5/729 Cream MRS/Dr. Evil with Air Negatron sponge 1.5mm
Sponsored Links

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 8:21am
For me it is much easier since I am a penholder with short pips.
But i only try to smash the ball when it comes with topspin. 
For no spin and backspin balls I have to create my own topspin (not much of course). In this situation my arm goes in a longer swing after hitting the ball.
When I smash I lock my swing after hitting the ball.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 8:38am
What kind of equipment do you use and what kind of grip?

One key point to flat hitting is to go through the ball instead of grazing
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
amekun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amekun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 8:41am
Shakehand 
Wood Blade
Yinhe Big Dipper FH
BTF T80Fx BH
Offensive Set Up:

Defensive Set up:
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 8:42am
Originally posted by amekun amekun wrote:

Shakehand 
Wood Blade
Yinhe Big Dipper FH
BTF T80Fx BH

Should probably update your signature then Tongue
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
amekun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amekun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 8:43am
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Shakehand 
Wood Blade
Yinhe Big Dipper FH
BTF T80Fx BH

Should probably update your signature then Tongue

yeah i will soon
Offensive Set Up:

Defensive Set up:
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 11:11am

Shakehand 
Wood Blade
Yinhe Big Dipper FH
BTF T80Fx BH

Since flat hitting does not work when the ball is below the net and it gets harder to execute accurately the lower the ball is... you have to realize with no spin and underspin balls, a loop/drive is probably the higher percentage shot!

Why not learn the drive? it is a much higher percentage shot to me then the flat hit because of the added topspin and it is not any less threatening then a flat hit… 
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
FlatHitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FlatHitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 11:26am
I might be able to help...set the robot for "backspin" at or slightly above net level and start hitting THROUGH the ball using your lower body (core) and legs...hitting the ball at the peak. this timing and quick stroke will allow you to flat hit any type of balls with a blade angle adjustment. if you start practicing a hitting style I would stop looping top spins and just spin backspin balls. the leg position is different for looping/hitting and a body adjustment is needed, to much thinking! If, you have been looping for a period of time, changing to a hitting style will not be easy, it will take a few years to become "automatic".. flat hits also come back quickly when blocked, the polyball is slower so, they will get blocked!...in the 80's I very seldom had any flat hits returned, 38mm ball is way faster. If i was starting from scratch..5-6 years old with a future in table tennis, I would still be a hitter, get good at it and you can beat anybody, you cant be stopped, unless you start to miss..the hitting style is hard to keep the ball on the table especially when you start to get tired, your timing gets a tad off and your done...time for your "B" game.
If your phone is'nt ringing, it's probably me...
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 1:35pm
I get so many higher backspin balls against weaker players (they didn't read the top spin). Finally Monday I realized that I shouldn't be looping these balls - it isn't a very successful venture - I end up making mistakes and even worse, the ball can be returned. I need something to put these away with - a backhand punch.

So now I'm working to step in a little and using lots of wrist to execute this shot. I'm expecting with the whip action to be able to slam the ball down with little spin, making it a very difficult shot to return.

I'm going to accept making some mistakes, but I think it will send the message "don't send me this high garbage" - which should result in new errors by the opponent. 
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 2:29pm
First, I would echo what others have said that loop-driving the ball is the safer thing to do, especially given your spin-sensitive setup.  If you hone your technique to get better power out of that loop-drive, then that is going to be a better risk/reward solution.

However, I also understand how the flat hit can be a real exclamation point, where you can really end the point is such a way as to mentally affect your opponent.  There's also some extra satisfaction with being able to punish a high topspin loop or a chop that bounces up a bit higher.  It's all about having the right paddle angle when following through with the flat hit.  You can't just simply swing hard to negate the effect of the spin as it contacts your paddle.  So, if it's got underspin, then you need to keep the paddle more open as you go through the ball.  If it's a slow spinny loop that sits up, then you've got to really close the angle of that paddle as you go through the ball.

I do find it much more awkward to pull off this shot on the backhand, especially the underspin balls that pop up.  Usually, these returns come slowly though, so I have time to shift and put it away on the forehand.

Very satisfying when you get it right!  Cool

Edited by geardaddy - 07/01/2015 at 2:33pm
amekun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amekun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2015 at 12:47am
i do understand and thank everyone for suggesting loop drive is the safest thing to do
i was hoping players can put in their 2 cents on techniques in flat hitting as their is little data available regarding this form of attack.

there has been some debate on the type of rubber used as well such as Hard vs Soft rubbers but it all comes down to preference imho

Offensive Set Up:

Defensive Set up:
FlatHitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FlatHitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2015 at 11:35am
It is hard to just "flathit" every ball that comes in your direction, I still have to develop and practice my looping as much or more than my hitting, the big difference is that when im hitting it feels natural, not a lot of thought process going on, when i have to loop everything changes, body position, blade angle and THE BRAIN!..to much thinking. It is very hard to combine being a looper/hitter. you cant hit everything, the better players wont let you and the "beach balls" we are using dont drop as fast as the 38mm. balls. I tried to become a looper after a 21 year break, you cant change what you allready are, if your stroke is looping, I would not try to change your style, you will spend years and never get it right. to much thinking!
 also..I have no problem using soft rubbers, it helps to block, so you can get in your hit..If you really want to learn to hit through the ball...start flat hitting backspins, you will develop the arm "snap", thats the stroke that will scare any player you face....hope this helps a little..
 p.s....larry hodges?...danny seemiller?...these guys can help the most at this board for "flathitting"

If your phone is'nt ringing, it's probably me...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2015 at 11:49am
I opened a similar thread a while back.  You can look at certain things like pips out penholders.  Some of the technique is also visible in forehand smash mastery by the table tennis master series.  There is also some instruction on Ping Skills and in the Table Tennis: Steps to Success book by Richard McAfee.

Hitting requires a high risk mindset and lots of quick footwork but the advantage is that you don't need to bend your knees as much.  Good luck.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2015 at 12:32pm
I think Tahl Leibovitz describes it very succinctly in this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPpq8m93LSI

Important points:
1) Pass through the ball quickly with the stroke
2) Change your paddle angle depending on the incoming spin on the ball.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic