Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lemon juice for restoring old rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Machine_Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lemon juice for restoring old rubbers
    Posted: 07/21/2015 at 2:13am
I have a year old Tenzone and P7. They are still playing ok but losing a bit of grip. I read somewhere in this forum that using lemon can restore grip on rubbers. So i gave it a try. I put on about 5 drops of lemon juice straight out of a lemon on to the top sheet and spread them evenly with my finger. Then i let them sit overnight. The following day I wiped the lemon juice off with a wet sponge. I am happy to report that my old rubbers, especially the Tenzone is almost as grippy as when it was new. I can now even put a protective plastic sheet and it would stick.

Anybody else have tried it on their old rubbers?
Sponsored Links

Johnny Erasure View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Erasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 3:26am
Is good and WD40 for restore the grip on rubbers.
Blade: JM ZLC
Rubbers: FH Dignics 09C
            BH Dignics 05
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63937&KW=Johnny+Erasure&PID=764628&title=feedback-for-j
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 8:37am
I have not heard this, but will give it a try! 
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 9:31am
Once upon a time there was the thing called SPINMAX..
oooh yeeeah I miss you so
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 10:29am
After playing for 3 hours the Tenzone lost about 10% of the lemon juice grip. Haven't had the chance to play with P7 yet.

I tried it on an old Stiga Calibra LT Spin. No hope. The rubber is still not grippy at all. I am not sure why stiga named it spin..
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 11:33am
You need to engage the sponge to get decent amount of spin. The topsheet is almost anti ^

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 11:38am
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

You need to engage the sponge to get decent amount of spin. The topsheet is almost anti ^

Will give it another shot before I give it away. On which blade do you think it was spin best - Infinity, Clipper CR, or Avenger Carbon?
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 6:45pm
This was something new. Will definitely give it a try
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2015 at 1:28am
Lemon juice never tried it. Olive oil or any other type of oil seems to bring it back. Need to treat every couple of weeks. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2015 at 1:31am
If the lemon juice had sugar...then you can understand from where the grippiness came up!
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
KMM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2015 at 2:02am
So my friend borrowed my rubber~a hurricane 3 neo red~ it  was brand new and he decided he wanted to make it tackier...so he put elmers glue and let it dry...then peel off the layers, it worked amazing...for a day. now it looks like it got run over by a 10 ton truck Cry
Check out my custom blades for sale, I use one :)
Blade: KVC Defence OS
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX-Black
BH: TSP Curl P-1R-Red
looneylooper67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote looneylooper67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2015 at 7:18am
I have used lemon juice before on my premade butterfly setup, lol (it was when I started playing). It worked awesome; it was really tacky. Only problem is, it wears out in an hour or so.
Looney Looper
Jun Mizutani
Tenergy 64

Stiga Clippa
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2015 at 8:54am
Lemon juice will temporarily revive the spin by way of friction but will further deteriorate the suppleness of the rubber which is caused by the natural oil depleting over time. Oil replenishes the natural suppleness of the rubber, however both treatments are only temporary, your rubber is on its way out I'm afraid.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2015 at 10:29am
Is it legal to use in tournaments? 
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2015 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by looneylooper67 looneylooper67 wrote:

I have used lemon juice before on my premade butterfly setup, lol (it was when I started playing). It worked awesome; it was really tacky. Only problem is, it wears out in an hour or so.
=====================
Very true.

Also several other ways to rejuvenate the rubber (mentioned on this forum) that I have tried, the re-gained friction never lasted for an hour.

Better just buy a new rubber.
skip3119
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic