Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Relaxed hand?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relaxed hand?
    Posted: 07/21/2015 at 11:42am
I just performed horribly at the US Open this year and am probably going to drop from 2097 USATT to likely under 2000 Confused

So I'm getting some coaching sessions to patch things up, and one of the first things this new coach told me was to relax my hand. I always gripped the racket really tightly.

What's the rationale for that?
Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 11:52am
Here is an article that discusses some of the related issues.

http://blog.paddlepalace.com/2011/12/why-is-your-grip-pressure-so-important/
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Machine_Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 12:05pm
Thank you for sharing the article, NextLevel.

I saw a video on youtube teaching that you should learn to grip the paddle with the thumb and index finger and the rest of the fingers relaxed. Is this good advise?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Machine_Head Machine_Head wrote:

Thank you for sharing the article, NextLevel.

I saw a video on youtube teaching that you should learn to grip the paddle with the thumb and index finger and the rest of the fingers relaxed. Is this good advise?

IMO, it is very important advice.  It's one of the best ways of relieving tension in your arm, which should generally be low.  Also, it allows you to vary and relax grip pressure more easily and you only have two fingers to control for the most part.

Right now, I am trying to practice pushing short and since I am using a robot, it is very easy for me to see what happens when I hold the paddle too tight.
Cybershape Carbon
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by ppgear ppgear wrote:

I just performed horribly at the US Open this year and am probably going to drop from 2097 USATT to likely under 2000 Confused

So I'm getting some coaching sessions to patch things up, and one of the first things this new coach told me was to relax my hand. I always gripped the racket really tightly.

the results for the U.S. Open have been processed. Your fear of dropping below 2000 was not realized, you finished at 2014.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 1:01pm
I think it is excellent advice for the basic ready before making the shot.

What is also even more evil is the ability of some seasoned players to vary their grip pressure at impact and REALLY mess with your ability to pick up the ball. This is golden when blocking, whether it is a fast block or a soft one.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 6:46pm
That is a common problem which damages a lot of players.

A relaxed arm increases control, better contact with the ball, more spin produced... overall consistency shoots up the roof, because you are able to apply the correct technique - if you are tensed technique, contact with the ball, feel and spin production break down...

the BEST way to train this is to loop consistently vs a REAL chopper ...... with the aim of making at least 10 loops before even trying to win the point.... if you are tense you will fail after 2/3 loops...

Originally posted by ppgear ppgear wrote:

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
illinichamps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illinichamps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 7:37pm
I think one way of doing this (if you have the time)
is by practicing looping with a chopper (as clarence mentions)
but if you do it a lot (i practiced yesterday for 40 minutes straight after 3 hrs of play)
and your arm and hand gets tired then you naturally lose the tension.
I found myself just twisting more of my torso, lowering
my shoulder even more and not even thinking about my arm and hand
as they felt so rubbery, but my partner seemed to have a harder time receiving my
loops. I thought that I already had a pretty loose grip and i never tried to go really
loose as my coach told me that that can lead to bad habits. But i realized that you can
go more loose than you are used to and you will still be alright. 
and 40 minutes of just hitting fh loops helps as well ^^
H3 Prov. |MJ SZLC | 05 FX
Machine_Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 8:28pm
Does a relaxed grip also mean relaxed wrist?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Machine_Head Machine_Head wrote:

Does a relaxed grip also mean relaxed wrist?

Yes. Relaxation comes in degrees. The next level of relaxation for me is to be able to keep a loose grip while moving my arm to block or push under a fast serve I am late to.

Edited by NextLevel - 07/21/2015 at 9:06pm
Cybershape Carbon
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 10:21pm
As you grip tighter and tighter, you start to lose fine motor control.

It's like going for a big loopkill and blow it when a simple flick kill is more than enough.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
wanhao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanhao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2015 at 10:54pm
"relax but not loose... firm but not tight"
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 12:43am
A coach told me to hold the racket with just some pressure by pinching the racket with your index and thumb. Try not to use too much of the other fingers.
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 2:07am
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

A coach told me to hold the racket with just some pressure by pinching the racket with your index and thumb. Try not to use too much of the other fingers.

Yes, add pressure during contact with the ball. Add pressure with index finger on fh and pressure with thumb on bh. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 6:24am
A couple of videos - they aren't on grip, but they are from two hihg-level coaches who show how being able to keep the hand relaxed and in the right location for doing strokes helps with touch.  Connecting the two videos helped me better understand what I should be trying to do with my over the table strokes so I hope it does the same for you too.

Edited by NextLevel - 07/22/2015 at 6:24am
Cybershape Carbon
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 11:57am
Use the 'toothpaste tube' method, imaging you are holding a tube without the lid on when holding your bat, if the toothpaste would squeeze out, you are holding too tight !
The Older I get, The better I was.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2015 at 10:10pm
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 8:45am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Use the 'toothpaste tube' method, imaging you are holding a tube without the lid on when holding your bat, if the toothpaste would squeeze out, you are holding too tight !

This way is very good for chopping or pushing on the table, even for returning a service. But if you have to do heavy counter topspin, you should hold the blade tight by the rest three fingers to the lower handle, esp if you are playing Ch. rubber
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2015 at 10:10am
Originally posted by chop4ever chop4ever wrote:

Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

This way is very good for chopping or pushing on the table, even for returning a service. But if you have to do heavy counter topspin, you should hold the blade tight by the rest three fingers to the lower handle, esp if you are playing Ch. rubber

I personally tighten just before contact when needed to stabilise the bat.
The Older I get, The better I was.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic