Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wave Medal 5 / Medal Ace / Medal SP3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wave Medal 5 / Medal Ace / Medal SP3
    Posted: 07/29/2015 at 8:01am
After the Adidas debacle, I will need to do some shopping to soothe my troubled soul (or sole).

Yum.

Edited by AndySmith - 07/29/2015 at 9:17am
Sponsored Links

p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2015 at 8:16am
Both look like great shoes!

I love the Medal Ace and currently have the SP2.
You can't go wrong on this one Andy :)
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2015 at 8:56am
The Medal 4's were on sale last month and I nearly pulled the trigger on them, but they didn't have my size.  Blessing in disguise.

The Medal 5 and Medal Ace look to have the same soles, so is the only difference in the uppers?  In the Mizuno world, what does "Ace" mean when compared to non-"Ace"?
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2015 at 5:48am
Good question....I tried to find the different by comparing these 2:
http://products.mizuno.jp/c/item/81GA1510/
http://products.mizuno.jp/c/item/81GA1515/

Couldn't find any technical differences. Only on the visual (outside) part.
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2015 at 9:17am
When I went to Kokusai Takkyu in Takanobaba I tried a lot of Mizunos, but my choice was this Asics:

Mine is white x blue. It gives a much better lateral stabilization than any Mizuno´s.
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2015 at 12:23pm
i have the excounters.  they are great.  the one thing i notice is the traction is good, and they do not 'squeal' as much as the mizuno's.  basically with any pair of mizuno's (i got 3 distinct models) - the gum rubber on their shoes makes it sound like an nba game.

:)
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2015 at 3:50pm
The new Mizunos are now in at tt-japan.  Ordered the Medal 5's.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2015 at 5:26am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

that boa system looks like it will make you throw the shoes in the gabage when it breaks...it is very good marketing though.

They remind me of some Puma Disc trainers I had back in the 1990s.  They didn't break as such, but the tension within the string got slacker over time until they became useless.  Obviously times change and technology improves, so these probably come with a mobile app to tighten them remotely via Wifi and post to Facebook whenever you put them on.  YOLO and all that.
Figueiredo81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Figueiredo81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

When I went to Kokusai Takkyu in Takanobaba I tried a lot of Mizunos, but my choice was this Asics:

Mine is white x blue. It gives a much better lateral stabilization than any Mizuno´s.

These are also my favourite. I just can't find them anywhere, seems like Asics pulled them out. I use to shop in TT-Japan or Iruiru but both removed them from site... I LOVE THIS SHOES, SUPER LIGHT, GOOD CUSHION AND BEAUTIFUL!
Anyone know where I can get a hold on them?

Edited by Figueiredo81 - 08/04/2015 at 12:50pm
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 12:57pm
you can find them, except HYPER expensive....on ebay

for some reason the table tennis specific shoes on ebay are absurdly over-priced

could be that butterfly has an equivalent?  (same shoe, just different colors/logos)

just found this:  http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/sportsguide/item/10009873/

:)

Edited by in2spin - 08/04/2015 at 12:59pm
Ergosquare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ergosquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2015 at 4:23pm
Hi.

Any new reviews or recommendations on one of the shoes?
I'm going to buy some next days.
So many good options Thumbs Up:

http://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=2633
http://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=2630
http://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=2227
http://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=2750
http://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=2631

So hard to decicde PinchWink...
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2015 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

that boa system looks like it will make you throw the shoes in the gabage when it breaks...it is very good marketing though.

They remind me of some Puma Disc trainers I had back in the 1990s.  They didn't break as such, but the tension within the string got slacker over time until they became useless.  Obviously times change and technology improves, so these probably come with a mobile app to tighten them remotely via Wifi and post to Facebook whenever you put them on.  YOLO and all that.

I think you just won the internet LOL

Anyway, I'd buy mizuno shoes more if they made larger sizes. The new stuff never goes out bigger than 28.5. 

Edited by beeray1 - 12/17/2015 at 5:20pm
GiorgosTT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GiorgosTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2015 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Ergosquare Ergosquare wrote:

Hi.

Any new reviews or recommendations on one of the shoes?
I'm going to buy some next days.
So many good options Thumbs Up:

http://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=2633
http://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=2630
http://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=2227
http://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=2750
http://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=2631

So hard to decicde PinchWink...

Hey Ergosquare, I just recently received the Wave Drive A3 (blue and pink), and a friend of mine got the Wave Medal A (black red). I have only worn my pair for two practise sessions, so I can't evaluate them fully yet.
My first impressions are: 
  • They look stunning!
  • They seem to be very well made. 
  • Good grip on taraflex (no surprise there), poor grip when I played in a dusty gym floor. I don't know how the surface is called, but it is what you find in indoor basketball or volleyball courts in schools.
  • They are a bit wide for my foot, so when the point requires fast or big steps, they don't provide the ideal support, as I feel my foot moving inside the shoe. Note that they are not necessarily wide, it might be that my foot is a bit narrow. To give you a reference, I also found the Stiga Instinct and a couple of Butterfly shoes too wide for my liking. Also, this is a first impression, I might change my mind as I keep wearing them.
Different players will require different things from their shoes. For example I am 1m86 and I like to run around so having very good support from the shoe is important to me. Someone who blocks and stays close to the table might not be bothered so much. So if you tell us your playing style, there might be better recommendations.

Hope that helps!
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2015 at 7:11pm
I actually bought a pair of the Asics Attack Excounter the other day. They are relatively cheap and felt good when I tried them on. I'll try them out properly tonight when I play.

I got them from http://www.takugekiya.com/. I'm not sure if they ship internationally though.

I'm also using an Asics Bladelyte, and the only reason why I bought the Excounter is because I want to leave the Bladelyte at one of the places I play so I don't need to bring them whenever I go there.

Before that I used Butterfly Energy Force, and within 6 months both shoes ripped where my little toe is. Doesn't seem like they designed it for left to right movements.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ergosquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2015 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by GiorgosTT GiorgosTT wrote:

Hey Ergosquare, I just recently received the Wave Drive A3 (blue and pink), and a friend of mine got the Wave Medal A (black red). I have only worn my pair for two practise sessions, so I can't evaluate them fully yet.
My first impressions are: 
  • They look stunning!
  • They seem to be very well made. 
  • Good grip on taraflex (no surprise there), poor grip when I played in a dusty gym floor. I don't know how the surface is called, but it is what you find in indoor basketball or volleyball courts in schools.
  • They are a bit wide for my foot, so when the point requires fast or big steps, they don't provide the ideal support, as I feel my foot moving inside the shoe. Note that they are not necessarily wide, it might be that my foot is a bit narrow. To give you a reference, I also found the Stiga Instinct and a couple of Butterfly shoes too wide for my liking. Also, this is a first impression, I might change my mind as I keep wearing them.
Different players will require different things from their shoes. For example I am 1m86 and I like to run around so having very good support from the shoe is important to me. Someone who blocks and stays close to the table might not be bothered so much. So if you tell us your playing style, there might be better recommendations.

Hope that helps!

Thx, helps a lot.

I myself play most times mid or close to table game, but e.g. I also like to play FH in BH side so I often do fast but small steps or side jumps close to table.
Our gym has a quite elderly parquet, not the grippiest ground but its ok.
I wonder what are the technical differences between the three Wave Medal models (and between the two Wave Drive models)...

Edited by Ergosquare - 12/20/2015 at 3:18pm
GiorgosTT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GiorgosTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2015 at 6:34pm
Well the three Wave Medal models have exactly the same sole (actually the Medal 5 and Medal A that two of my friends have are identical, and I suppose the Medal SP3 has also the same). The Medal A has synthetic upper which I believe makes it a bit lighter than the other two, and the SP3 has the fancy BOA closure system instead of laces. I don't think they have any more differencies.

The two Wave Drive models are completely different shoes. The Wave Drive A3 (which I have) has a synthetic upper, is very light, very comfortable and makes for a great shoe in good floors. I don't find it very good for parquets or other slippery grounds. I haven't tried the Wave drive 7, but a lot of guys are wearing it, both recreational and professional players and seem to be very happy with it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ergosquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2015 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by GiorgosTT GiorgosTT wrote:

The Medal A has synthetic upper which I believe makes it a bit lighter than the other two.

Unfortunately not, Medal 5 is lighter. I've ascertained the weights of all five shoes:

WD7(255g) < WDA3(260g) < WM5(265g) < WMA(280g) < WMSP3(285g)

http://mizuno.eu/de/footwear/table-tennis/81ga150527/wave-drive-7#c81GA150527
http://mizuno.eu/de/footwear/table-tennis/81ga150099/wave-drive-a3#c81GA150099
http://www.kokusaitakkyu.com/shopdetail/000000007139/
http://www.kokusaitakkyu.com/shopdetail/000000007141/
http://www.kokusaitakkyu.com/shopdetail/000000007142/

Maybe I shouldn't buy "heavy" shoes like Medal Ace or SP3, it seems the Wave Drive series (which I used so far) is a quite light one and the switch could become tough.

Edited by Ergosquare - 12/20/2015 at 9:28pm
Da Baobei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Baobei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2016 at 7:46am
Can anybody tell me how the Wave Medal 5 fits compared to Wave Medal 4 or Wave Drive 6.
wintermute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wintermute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2016 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Obviously times change and technology improves, so these probably come with a mobile app to tighten them remotely via Wifi and post to Facebook whenever you put them on.  YOLO and all that.

I nearly burst out laughing on the train on the way to work reading this Big smile.  Classic!!

Tony.
Any intelligence I may appear to have is purely artificial!
training: vintage blade, 729 cream transcend 1.5mm BH and FH
fun: 729 focus snipe III 2.1mm FH & BH, blade you don't want to know ;)
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2016 at 9:53am
I'm also interested in the fit of the various Mizuno shoes -- I have a wide foot, and they seem wider than the Butterflies or Asics (let me know if any Asics don't have pointy toes!  I'd like to try some that don't squeeze my toes).  

I wouldn't mind trying wide, low-profile volleyball or badminton shoes.  Thick heals are terrible for my footwork.  
DHS ML5 (W968), Hurricane 3, Dignics 09c
BriDav12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriDav12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2016 at 7:26pm
I have the wave drive 6, wave medal A, and wave medal 5 shoes. Without a doubt the wave medals (both models) are wider than the wave drives (which for reference sake are abkut as wide as my asics Bladelyte 3s)
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2016 at 9:44pm
Thanks much.  What difference do you notice between the Wave Medal A vs. the 5?

Edited by ClimbK2 - 06/27/2016 at 9:46pm
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2016 at 9:45pm
I have some Wave Drives and would prefer a wider shoe

Edited by ClimbK2 - 06/27/2016 at 9:48pm
regomellor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote regomellor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2016 at 6:31pm
I have the wave medals 4 and they are by far the best tt shoes I've ever had. If the drives are too thin and narrow for you, go for the medals. After a year they look nearly as new. Not even a little break. I'll have to buy a new pair only because the sole is getting flat.
They are amazing. Comfortable, grippy, light,...
And Fang Zhendong uses them so...
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2016 at 9:55am
Thanks Regomellor
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic