Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Paint for refinishing table..??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
angelleye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelleye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paint for refinishing table..??
    Posted: 07/31/2015 at 2:58am
I need to refinish my table top.  I've only been able to find one source online for paint (http://www.affordablett.com.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=148).  Unfortunately, they're telling me they can't ship it to me because they're in Australia...it's flammable and the carrier won't accept it.

I'm struggling to find any other source.  I would appreciate any tips I can get on where to find good paint to professionally refinish a table top.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

angelleye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelleye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 5:06am
Really?  Nothing for me on this?
guillem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 5:35am
http://www.amazon.com/OSMO-Polyx-Hard-Wax-25-3/dp/B003RDW1UY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438680597&sr=8-2&keywords=osmo+polyx+oil

Believe me, this is simply the best product to finish the blade since:

- It doesen't changes the touch of the blade unlike polyurethane stuff.
- Easy to apply.
- The blade surface remains ready to stick to the rubbers.
- The blade is alive since it doesen't build up an impermeable layer. 

Give it a try and you won't regret it.

Guillem, from Barcelona (Catalonia).
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 5:51am
He's looking for paint for a TABLE guillem, not a blade. Big smile
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 11:37am
Originally posted by angelleye angelleye wrote:

I need to refinish my table top.  I've only been able to find one source online for paint (http://www.affordablett.com.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=148).  Unfortunately, they're telling me they can't ship it to me because they're in Australia...it's flammable and the carrier won't accept it.

I'm struggling to find any other source.  I would appreciate any tips I can get on where to find good paint to professionally refinish a table top.

Thanks!
I went through the same issue with Australia so I used a flat matt finish paint.  It works fine but doesn't have the same friction properties as the newer tables but that may be an issue of how to prep the top, the number of coats and application method including types of drying lamps if any they are using.  How fast the paint  dry's also may be part of the equation beside's the actual paint itself.  Anyway best of luck if you do find another source please post.
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 12:04pm
I'd ask a table manufacturer.

I also need some touchup paint, I have a small spot i'd like to re-seal.
bluehorseshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluehorseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2015 at 12:11pm
I had spoken to someone at Joola once about this since I was getting a lot of paint marks from my table.  If you have the glossy finish of the nicer tables it is a Polyurethane paint.  Similar to the stuff used to paint boats and maybe decks.  Polyurethane is difficult to paint from what I read.  If you spray it, you need to wear a chemical vapor mask.  If you use a brush or roller, it is possible (I think without the vapor mask but don't quote me on that without verifying) to do but difficult not to get brush marks.  I read on some shipbuilding forum the technique to brush it on without brush marks, but it takes care and probably some skill.  

If you can do it I'd like to hear how it went when you are done.
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68077&PID=823122#823122
guillem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2015 at 4:20am
Damn it shame on me!

Sorry about that...

I can't help you about that since I just don't have any experience in it.
angelleye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelleye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2015 at 4:39am
Originally posted by bluehorseshoe bluehorseshoe wrote:

I had spoken to someone at Joola once about this since I was getting a lot of paint marks from my table.  If you have the glossy finish of the nicer tables it is a Polyurethane paint.  Similar to the stuff used to paint boats and maybe decks.  Polyurethane is difficult to paint from what I read.  If you spray it, you need to wear a chemical vapor mask.  If you use a brush or roller, it is possible (I think without the vapor mask but don't quote me on that without verifying) to do but difficult not to get brush marks.  I read on some shipbuilding forum the technique to brush it on without brush marks, but it takes care and probably some skill.  

Thanks for the info.  I have a guy who is handling all of this for me, so we'll see how well it comes out.  He's a professional painter that will be spraying, so hopefully it'll come out ok.  

I'm going to give him the info and see what he says.  Thanks!
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2015 at 8:53am
We've had this conversation going back to the about forum at least 10 times over the last 10 years. Nobody's every found the right paint that I know of.   It's NOT chalkboard paint.

Anybody can get the wood to make a nice table.  That paint is the only thing that keeps people from doing it.  Don't think for a second that table makers don't know that.  If they sold the paint, they'd be undercutting themselves.

Edited by cole_ely - 08/05/2015 at 3:28pm
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2015 at 11:06am
Originally posted by angelleye angelleye wrote:

Originally posted by bluehorseshoe bluehorseshoe wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I have a guy who is handling all of this for me, so we'll see how well it comes out.  He's a professional painter that will be spraying, so hopefully it'll come out ok.  

I'm going to give him the info and see what he says.  Thanks!
Any chance we could get a video of the painting?
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2015 at 3:21pm
I've read of folks mixing non sanded grout with their paint but no idea how well it works or if it's all that much different from chalk board paint.
Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
angelleye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelleye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2015 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Any chance we could get a video of the painting?

I'll see if we can make that happen.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2015 at 6:01pm
angelleye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelleye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2015 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

http://m.youtube.com/results?hl=ru&gl=RU&client=mv-google&q=make+table+tennis+table

Of course I had looked there, but these are not covering how to refinish a professional style table.  The closes I've found is using chalkboard paint and that is not what I am after.  
angelleye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote angelleye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2015 at 2:17pm
My table is a Stiga table and the US distributor is listed as Paddle Palace.  I called them and I was told I should contact Escalade Sports because they are the actual manufacturers of the Stiga tables in the US apparently.

I contacted Escalade and I have been told "The type of paint used on our table tennis tables is an enamel paint with a matte finish."

The guy that is going to be doing this for me said he would need to get a different sprayer because enamel paint is a little different than what he typically uses, but he said it makes sense to use that type of paint on wood like this and it won't be any problem for him.

He's going to come pick up my table in the next week or so, and then he says he'll need about 2 weeks to get it all done for me (just because it's not his only project, of course.)

I'll see if he can do some video or at least take a bunch of pictures of the project along the way.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2015 at 3:26pm
How much would the total job cost: including labor? Also, how many coats would he put? Sounds like you'll end up with a brand new table? 
PS: Are you going to be sticking with same color or going for brand new color? A while back someone suggested a white table for dark rooms - although I don't believe the new balls come in orange anymore. So that might not be an option now.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2015 at 3:59pm
Dont mean to threadjack, Instead of repainting because sometimes the table has a lot of corner damage and major damage on the tabletop....Does Butterfly or Stiga sell replacement table tops? I think it would be a waste to throw away the whole table. The legs and rollers definitely can be reused. Thanks for your help. 
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
angelleye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelleye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2015 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

How much would the total job cost: including labor? Also, how many coats would he put? Sounds like you'll end up with a brand new table? 
PS: Are you going to be sticking with same color or going for brand new color? A while back someone suggested a white table for dark rooms - although I don't believe the new balls come in orange anymore. So that might not be an option now.

He is coming to pick up the table from me, take it back to his shop for sanding and painting, and then bring it back to me for $200.  

He's going to sand with 120 grit and then again with 220 grit to prepare for painting.  Then spray (with professional sprayer) 2 or 3 coats depending on what it needs.  I'm leaving that up to his painting experience.  

He assures me it will come out very smooth and professional.

I'm going to stick with blue, but it probably won't be the exact same color blue it is now if I were to guess.  Just going to have to look at colors and pick something out.  
angelleye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelleye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2015 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by 42andbackpains 42andbackpains wrote:

Dont mean to threadjack, Instead of repainting because sometimes the table has a lot of corner damage and major damage on the tabletop....Does Butterfly or Stiga sell replacement table tops? I think it would be a waste to throw away the whole table. The legs and rollers definitely can be reused. Thanks for your help. 

Not sure, but the top is the most expensive part, especially if you're looking for 1" thick.  If you want to try and make your own it seems like HDF or MDF fiberboard is what people use.

If you're going to buy the replacement top from a manufacturer I'm thinking it would probably not be much more expensive (if any) to just buy a whole new table.
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2015 at 6:45am
Angelleye,

Is the table done?
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2015 at 11:41am
With the chips on my table, I was able to use an enamel paint and a 1500 grit sandpaper to smooth it out.

The paint doesn't match exactly but at least MDF isn't exposed, as I was worried what would happen if water was to somehow make it on that spot.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2015 at 1:05pm
I'd love to see how this works out. I had a Stiga table that was more than 20 years old but was still in good shape. I gave it to a friend and told him to look into painting it sometime as it would be a great table if he could just have it painted. Please post a video of before and after and tell us about the process.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
angelleye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelleye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2015 at 2:03pm
Unfortunately, the guy that was all geared up to do this for me disappeared.  He seemed legit, but he was either bogus or simply not interested.

I sort of put this on the back burner, but I'll be reaching out to some local professional painters before long.  I'll be sure to update once I have news.
kirat0811 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirat0811 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2021 at 9:27am
did you find the paint as i’m looking for it n i’m considering enamel paint but not sure
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic