Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Giant Dragon Superspin G3 Soft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Machine_Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Giant Dragon Superspin G3 Soft
    Posted: 08/07/2015 at 12:20pm
I bought a sheet of Giant Dragon Superspin G3 soft in max red today to replace my 1 year old Tenzone on my BH. I liked the TZ but after a year of playing it is starting to lose a bit of grip.

The rubber came in a vacuum sealed plastic packaging suggesting this rubber is factory tuned. Some say it has a funky smell but once I opened the vacuum bag I did not notice any funny smell unlike the DHS Neos which smelled like sweaty smelly feet. :)

The sponge came with a hard plastic covering. The instruction says you have to remove the plastic cover and let it air for 5-10 minutes. Also, I was told it is best to use WBG but since the store ran out of stock, I had to use rubber cement. I applied 2 layers on the blade. The sponge is a deep bright red.

The topsheet is glossy and translucent. It would have been a good quality topsheet if it weren't for the scuffs at the top part of the sheet.  Also the bottom part where the ITTF logo is located is not cut evenly. For OC's out there, this is something to peeve over. The topsheet is very grippy bordering on tacky/sticky, but it is not as tacky as non Neo H2 or H3.

The pips are a tiny bit taller and spaced farther apart compared to H3-50.

Although the sponge hardness is supposed to be soft, I find it a tiny bit firmer compared to the H30-50 glued to the other side of the blade. Upon bouncing the ball on the rubber, the feeling is not as smooth as the H3-50. It is as if I can feel the pips underneath.

I will be training with this setup tomorrow. I will post my feedback afterwards.
Sponsored Links

crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2015 at 7:33pm
have you got a Hurricane 3-50 review aswell?
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2015 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by crackfst crackfst wrote:

have you got a Hurricane 3-50 review aswell?

Yes, it is coming once i have trained with it a few times.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2015 at 7:58pm
Looking forward to your review.

+1 for a detailed preview.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 12:24am
I could have sworn that someone (JimT) already reviewed this rubber a while back.  I liked it 3 years ago but hated the quality control from GD.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 2:07am
I agree NextLevel, the quality control is not so good..
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 3:10am
Which blade is that?

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 3:36am
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

Which blade is that?

The rubber is glued to my Adidas Accelum Carbon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 11:22am
Update #1

My training session today was mostly for my forehand. I was only able to do 2-3 basket of balls during the multi-ball training. Here is what I have noticed so far:

Power - the rubber seems to have a high power potential. My backhand technique is still developing but I can feel I haven't maxed out the G3 yet. It is quite fast. Faster than the Hurricane 3-50 on the other side of the blade.

Spin - I read on another forum that the G3 is plagued with a "curious loss of spin". Fortunately for me, I did not seem to experience this problem. A few blocks from my coach popped up from misreading the spin. Someone on that forum suggested that it has something to do with the rubber's sensitivity to cold temperature. I live in a tropical country so our climate here ranges from hot to hotter. I guess the rubber does better in warmer climate

Also, I find the rubber not too sensitive to spin. I played a few games after my training. I was able to push back a few sidespin serves from my opponent without too much trouble.

Feel - the rubber feels soft but in a firm way. I don't think it bottoms out too early.

I'll post new updates as I play more with this rubber. If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I could have sworn that someone (JimT) already reviewed this rubber a while back.  I liked it 3 years ago but hated the quality control from GD.

it was G3 Hard
http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38963&title=giant-dragon-superspin-g3-hard-review

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 12:06pm
Update #2

Just played with a cpen looper today. Blocking does not seem to be very stable. I was struggling both with direction and the length of the ball. With the H3-50 i can block until the cpen player ran out of steam. With the G3 i had a difficult time landing on my opponent's side where he can loop again. Also, i am not liking the spikey feeling if the rubber.

I will stick with this for about 2 more weeks. Hopefully this is just a breaking in period otherwise i'll have let this go.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

it was G3 Hard
http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38963&title=giant-dragon-superspin-g3-hard-review

I am fairly sure that both rubbers were ultimately reviewed.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic