Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best endurance exercises for legs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best endurance exercises for legs
    Posted: 08/09/2015 at 11:49am
What are the best cardio exercises to build endurance for the legs, specifically the quads and calves? Those are the two muscles that tired the quickest for me.

I've heard skipping could be good for the calves.
Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 12:23pm
walk up stairs or hills - very helpful.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

True, but not much beats cycling especially if you practice sprints and/or vigorous hillclimbs.
I've never met a TT-cyclist who had any endurance issues.

Edited by Tinykin - 08/09/2015 at 12:28pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 12:44pm
Plain long-distance jogging.
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 3:39pm
jogging is very ineffective(no real leg training it's just cardio). by far the best one i can recommend is hill or stair sprints
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 3:58pm
you must be kidding ...
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 4:10pm
Wink
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

True, but not much beats cycling especially if you practice sprints and/or vigorous hillclimbs.
In addition to your point, an exercise bike with an adjustable resistance level for the average person is a much better workout than actually cycling outdoors, as you will be working your legs harder unless you are cycling at extremely high speeds outdoors, where resistance is increased.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

In addition to your point, an exercise bike with an adjustable resistance level for the average person is a much better workout than actually cycling outdoors, as you will be working your legs harder unless you are cycling at extremely high speeds outdoors, where resistance is increased.

Or uphill.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Or uphill.

Like I said, average. But uphill always helps if you are referring to the point I made about speed increasing resistance.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 7:59pm

Or uphill.

Like I said, average. But uphill always helps if you are referring to the point I made about speed increasing resistance.
Yes.  "Uphill" provides the resistance instead of speed/wind.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 11:31pm

Or uphill.

Yes.  "Uphill" provides the resistance instead of speed/wind.

Surely the resistive forces would be higher at a higher speed, limiting the cyclist to a terminal velocity and eventually to a slowdown though?
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2015 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

I'm hesitant to recommend cycling for purposes of improving table tennis, even though I very much enjoy cycling anyway.  I have a couple of friends that are former professional racing cyclists and they both still have exceptionally strong legs.  That is, I find that their motion for small footwork to be inefficient.  That is, if you need someone to run down a ball 12 feet away, they'll both do great, but if you move the ball over 2 inches, they tend to lean rather than do the micro-footwork needed.

That said, I would recommend a mix of methods:

1) Cycling that includes hills and/or interval training (this is where you change your cadence).
2) Stair climbing, or jumping rope, or even elliptical machine (assuming you have an elliptical that requires a high leg lift or uses an inclined plane such as Percor).
3) Squats with weights.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2015 at 3:28am

Surely the resistive forces would be higher at a higher speed, limiting the cyclist to a terminal velocity and eventually to a slowdown though?

I'm riding up a 10% grade.  I have an 18% grade nearby if I need it. Note that my speed on the 10% section is around 6-7mph.  If I push a higher gear, I can increase the needed effort by a very large amount.  Larger than I can effectively push.

Dynamically, wind resistance is a bit different than hill climbing. I think you can make either work for you if you want.  That's why I said "or."  
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2015 at 3:33am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

[
I'm hesitant to recommend cycling for purposes of improving table tennis, even though I very much enjoy cycling anyway.  I have a couple of friends that are former professional racing cyclists and they both still have exceptionally strong legs.  That is, I find that their motion for small footwork to be inefficient.  That is, if you need someone to run down a ball 12 feet away, they'll both do great, but if you move the ball over 2 inches, they tend to lean rather than do the micro-footwork needed.

That said, I would recommend a mix of methods:

1) Cycling that includes hills and/or interval training (this is where you change your cadence).
2) Stair climbing, or jumping rope, or even elliptical machine (assuming you have an elliptical that requires a high leg lift or uses an inclined plane such as Percor).
3) Squats with weights.

I agree.  You don't want to do only cycling.  After cycling I do a driving pitter-patter routine on my toes where you alternatively drive your right and then left foot as quickly as possible while in a semi-squat position.  Coach Li calls it "tippie-tap" (as near as I can understand what he's saying.)  The idea is to do this at a very high speed.   I think this helps with the small steps you are talking about.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2015 at 9:10am
Dimitrij Ovtcharov recommends the barbell squats and I think they are fantastic!!
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2015 at 11:34am
Originally posted by ppgear ppgear wrote:

What are the best cardio exercises to build endurance for the legs, specifically the quads and calves? Those are the two muscles that tired the quickest for me.

I've heard skipping could be good for the calves.

table tennis multiball drills.
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2015 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Dimitrij Ovtcharov recommends the barbell squats and I think they are fantastic!!

Heavy barbell squats literally saved my knee before it was too late and I'm not sure I'd still be playing table tennis without them.  Can you provide the source where Ovtcharov says he recommends barbell squats for TT players? I'd be interested to read it.
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2015 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Heavy barbell squats literally saved my knee before it was too late and I'm not sure I'd still be playing table tennis without them.  Can you provide the source where Ovtcharov says he recommends barbell squats for TT players? I'd be interested to read it.

That's not surprising - so long as good form is used and you don't train for maximum lift.  

One of the reasons I started doing hill climbs on the bike is for the out-of-the-seat climbing.  That workload,  is similar to doing heavy leg work such as squats.  I find the hill climbs are therapeutic for my knees. 

Ichiro Ogimura was fond of leg work as well.
"To combat a multi-time World Champion like England’s Richard Bergmann, “Ogimura knew he would have to arm himself with a devastating sponge smash that could kill a rally in one fell swoop. This required lower-body agility, so, in addition to his 10-kilometer runs in Inokashira Park, he began to frog-jump four kilometers while carrying a 40-kilogram dumbbell on his shoulders."

Edited by wturber - 08/10/2015 at 4:54pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2015 at 4:30pm
I've been doing squats - since I noticed I was terrible at bending my knees.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2015 at 2:55pm
Running (for pure endurance) and skipping rope for the strength.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic