Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheating in Table Tennis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2015 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

ITTF rules.
Invented in a nuthouse?
Follow the money.

Baal, you are really good... Clap Clap

(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Sponsored Links

Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2015 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

Wait what kind of boosting is illegal?I mean tuned rubbers are legal and boosters are also legal right?Otherwise what is with the Chinese.They are known for boosting the sh** out of there rubbers
sounds like the thing to do with non Chinese more me thinks

Sorry English is not my main language so I either didn't understand your sentence or it just sound weird to me.Do you suggest that the rest should boost as well?If so it wouldn't actually give them as much benefits as the Chinese get from it.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2015 at 8:29pm
So we've moved on from doggerel and limericks to haiku and blank verse. Thank heavens and well done!

Berndt's reminder of the convention of 17 on (English = syllables) starts us on the path to a deeper critique: are these genuine haiku? Beyond the 17 on we also need kiru, the juxtaposition of two images; haiku demand the "compare and contrast" of "cutting" (kiru) to provide depth and meaning. Jay comes close with "coc'nut oil" vs "cheating". The other major defect is the entire lack of kigo, reference to the seasons. I can't find "sweet" in any saijiki (list of kigo) but "cheating is (so) sweet" is pretty darn close. So, if I was an English teacher (once upon a time) I'd give Berndt and Baal solid pass marks with encouraging words about effort, and Jay goes to the top of the class (no doubt with his clipboard under his arm).

Blank verse: Whew! What can I say? This may well be the best thing you've ever posted, Berndt. I applaud both your style and your sentiment. And it's on topic!

Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

And what doth it become a man
Who strives to gain the highest prize
Through devious means, fair play disdaining?

And how well can he sleep o' nights?
When conscience calls, no reply receiving.
How can he live, virtue bereft?

And where to hide, from honor, truth?
No vale nor valley can conceal
Nor that which vice to virtue pays.

Edited by Tassie52 - 08/24/2015 at 8:30pm
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2015 at 8:33pm
Thank you ever so much, Tassie52.  You are too kind.

Edited by berndt_mann - 08/24/2015 at 8:47pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2015 at 8:58pm
And now, me hearties, a good old fashioned table tennis sea chantey:

We'll boost and tune by the light of the moon,
With a heave and a ho, me bully bully boys.
We'll boost and tune in a June monsoon.
With a yo heave ho and a ruddy bum bum.

Chorus:  With a heave and a ho me bully bully boys,
               With a yo heave ho and a haul away Joe,
               So haul away the track let the bullgine run.

We'll boost and tune till the break of dawn.
With a heave and a ho me bully bully boys.
We'll boost and tune, then we'll play play on.

With a heave and a ho me bully bully boys,

We'll boost and tune, and we don't give a damn,
With a heave and a ho me bully bully boys.
We'll boost and tune, then we'll have some Spam.

With a heave and a ho me bully bully boys,

Edited by berndt_mann - 08/24/2015 at 9:35pm
bmann1942
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2015 at 10:42pm

Wait what kind of boosting is illegal?I mean tuned rubbers are legal and boosters are also legal right?Otherwise what is with the Chinese.They are known for boosting the sh** out of there rubbers

Sorry English is not my main language so I either didn't understand your sentence or it just sound weird to me.Do you suggest that the rest should boost as well?If so it wouldn't actually give them as much benefits as the Chinese get from it.

Aaah, TtGold, how goes it?
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2015 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

So we've moved on from doggerel and limericks to haiku and blank verse. Thank heavens and well done!

Berndt's reminder of the convention of 17 on (English = syllables) starts us on the path to a deeper critique: are these genuine haiku? Beyond the 17 on we also need kiru, the juxtaposition of two images; haiku demand the "compare and contrast" of "cutting" (kiru) to provide depth and meaning. Jay comes close with "coc'nut oil" vs "cheating". The other major defect is the entire lack of kigo, reference to the seasons. I can't find "sweet" in any saijiki (list of kigo) but "cheating is (so) sweet" is pretty darn close. So, if I was an English teacher (once upon a time) I'd give Berndt and Baal solid pass marks with encouraging words about effort, and Jay goes to the top of the class (no doubt with his clipboard under his arm).

Blank verse: Whew! What can I say? This may well be the best thing you've ever posted, Berndt. I applaud both your style and your sentiment. And it's on topic!

Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

And what doth it become a man
Who strives to gain the highest prize
Through devious means, fair play disdaining?

And how well can he sleep o' nights?
When conscience calls, no reply receiving.
How can he live, virtue bereft?

And where to hide, from honor, truth?
No vale nor valley can conceal
Nor that which vice to virtue pays.

Tassie, you will note however that when I pointed out that Berndt shivered before he whined, it suggested winter, juxtaposed with possibly a deep loathing.   So certainly my verse has an intentional seasonal element in it (perhaps referring time spent in Ohio as opposed to Tucson, or simply Berndt's known horror at what the sport became).  Also, there is a distinct contrast, between the universe of inverted rubber users and the caveat that this would never include Berndt.  Is there possibly more of a kireji than a word like caveat?  I don't think so.  I think that one certainly passes the test of haiku-ness. 

My second effort about the ITTF lacks reference to seasons, again intentional because I find them corrupt and incompetent at all times of the year.  A seasonal element in a verse about them might be letting them off the hook.  (Also ITTF already has four syllables which completely hoses me Cry).  There is a contrast between the question "are they crazy?" the impression that some of their BS might suggest and the reality that  "they are crazy like a fox and making off like bandits".

I liked Berndt's blank verse also.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Tassie, you will note however that when I pointed out that Berndt shivered before he whined, it suggested winter, juxtaposed with possibly a deep loathing.   So certainly my verse has an intentional seasonal element in it (perhaps referring time spent in Ohio as opposed to Tucson, or simply Berndt's known horror at what the sport became).  Also, there is a distinct contrast, between the universe of inverted rubber users and the caveat that this would never include Berndt.  Is there possibly more of a kireji than a word like caveat?  I don't think so.  I think that one certainly passes the test of haiku-ness. 
my apologies,
baal, who spins words so silken
for Lausanne bonfires
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 5:55am
my apologies,
baal, who spins words so silken
for Lausanne bonfires

Absolutely loved that one.  If that ain't true good ole country boy haiku, I don't know what is.

Basho

Can we foresee, baal,
Lausanne bonfires extinguished?
Bright fireflies linger.

Edited by berndt_mann - 08/25/2015 at 6:23am
bmann1942
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 8:33am
Celluloid is gone
A winter of discontent
Ball bounces oddly
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 8:36am
Sweating hard to win
No umpire at the table
Left arm not moving
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 8:39am
Adham wakes, content
They think I'm gone forever
Power behind the throne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 10:45am
Steve pauses, then serves;
Sharp swerving right-left high-toss.
Oh s**t, can't read spin.
bmann1942
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Jay comes close with "coc'nut oil" vs "cheating". The other major defect is the entire lack of kigo, reference to the seasons. I can't find "sweet" in any saijiki (list of kigo) but "cheating is (so) sweet" is pretty darn close. So, if I was an English teacher (once upon a time) I'd give Berndt and Baal solid pass marks with encouraging words about effort, and Jay goes to the top of the class (no doubt with his clipboard under his arm).

You seem to be giving credit to me when it belongs to Jim T.  I'm just making simple limericks.  I'm happy enough if they just make someone smile - regardless of potential grade.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Aaah, TtGold, how goes it?

Thanks for clearing it up.Now I understand that you just wrote it wrong
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic