Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about Tau

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about Tau
    Posted: 08/28/2015 at 5:08am
Hi guys. Recently I bought a Tau, hoping that it will give me a bit of extra spin with the new ball.
My question is have anyone tried it with a booster (Falco Long) and is there a significant advantage?
How about a baby oil?
My last question is have you tried the Tau on different blades and where the rubber fits best( I've got some choice of blades)
Thanks.
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Sponsored Links

Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2015 at 9:19am
Tau is not the rubber that will give you extra spin unfortunately. There are better alternatives around, I am thinking of the Xiom Omega V line, MX-P or MX-s.

As for the blade, I do not share the theory that a blade will significantly increase the spin from the rubber.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2015 at 11:04am
Oops. I had some hope for it.....I noticed two basic theories-one which says that hard rubber would go with a soft blade and the other which says exactly the opposite....I am more concern about tunning the Tau,cause don't want to ruin the sponge
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2015 at 11:37am

Link and couple quotes from this article:

://thoughtsontabletennis.wordpress.com/2015/04/25/introduction-to-table-tennis-blade-design/

"The rule of thumb is that 5+2 blades provide more “catapult” while 7+2 blades provide more power through higher mass. Depending on your playing style you might chose accordingly. If you smash,block, hit, play half distance etc. you might want to try the 7+2 blades. If you play close to the table and you mainly use topspin shots you should stick to 5+2 plies."

"A rubber is nothing more than a thick damping sponge. You read right, any rubber slows your blade down compared to a blade which has the same mass as our blade+rubber combo. As previously stated, we still need this damping to generate spin which the blade isn’t capable of itself."

"Let’s go back to rubbers and focus on one particular. The sponge thickness determines how much spin can be applied with this rubber, a thin sponge can “store” less energy than a thick sponge."

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2015 at 1:32pm
I tried baby oil on Tau once and it did nothing. It didn't ruin anything but it offered no impact on performance.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2015 at 5:38pm
Well, I loaded it today with a layer of Falco Long. I hope it will play better than my H2 NEO which I liked a lot with the celluloid ball, but not with the new one. I will have the Tau side by side with H8, also boosted.Most probably I'll glue them on one of the Hallmarks, but I have also an Amultart, Palio TCT, Senkoh 90,BTY KC, Karas and few more...all of them so nice and different
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2015 at 7:54am
Any result with the tuning? I have a sheet Tau laying around. If the tuning is effective, I might give it another go. Hopefully, the tuning softens up the sponge quite a bit. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2015 at 8:20am
I applied the booster last night and today it's almost absorbed. The dome is about 2cm with the protection on. Later on today I'll apply another layer.I still wonder which blade.....
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2015 at 9:02am
Weird. Its been 10 days and the dome is still there. The rubber looks like petrified in that position......even with the original plastic on
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2015 at 2:30pm
Put some heavy books on it. Wait 2 days and then check the progress. Add additional days, checking once each day for as long as necessary.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2015 at 3:51pm
Тhanks mate. Didn't think about doing so. I'll put it in the clicky press for few days..... Meanwhile I am boosting a H8 which absorbs already a third layer of Falco and becomes softer and way more flexible
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic