Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gambler Outlaw is back!!! :)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
topspinschuss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topspinschuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gambler Outlaw is back!!! :)
    Posted: 09/03/2015 at 12:30am
Alright...going to dig up this old topic as there appear to to have been some MAJOR changes that make Gambler Outlaw Classic a great (and superior for many) option again. After not playing with Outlaw (classic) for over 6 years due to the fact that my rubbers would bubble within mostly one training session (sometimes they'd last 2-3 sessions..at most), I contacted Zeropong to ask if the rubber still has the bubbling/cracking problem. After Tom said that that problem has been resolved and guaranteed that the Outlaw wouldn't bubble like it used to anymore I went ahead and purchased a red (noticeably harder than the black!) and black rubber. That was Almost three weeks ago. I am happy to report that the rubbers are still going strong without a single crack or bubble (and this is at a 2200+ level with a loop that's probably more like 2300-2400)! The playing characteristics appear to be the same as 6 years ago with the possible exception that the topsheet has become grippier. Still not sensitive to spin, though! 

And it's still fast! I'm playing it on a Stiga Allround Classic and still have loads of speed. After three weeks the topsheet still looks excellent and is still super grippy (like new), so I think that there have been improvements in that department, too, as the old outlaw used to "age" much more quickly. I don't expect the rubbers to bubble or crack anymore. If bubbling or cracking occurs I'll let everyone know. I'll try to give another update in a month or two. In the meantime, for those of us who *loved* the old gambler outlaw (now Outlaw Classic) but stopped playing with it due to all the bubbling and cracking...it seems to be safe to buy it again. I, for one, am a happy camper.  :)
Sponsored Links

asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2015 at 12:46am
wow. This might just be a new FH candidate .

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2015 at 5:44am
How does it behave with the new ball?
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2015 at 8:08am
Outlaw gave me brief problems years ago, but the quality has been there over the last several years. I like the golden cake sponge version on bh. It's a really good rubber for loopers, but less so for an all a rounders imo.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2015 at 2:06pm

I found it to be a fast allround rubber, faster than classic rubbers with good but not great spin. Nice control.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topspinschuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2015 at 6:08pm
It's waaaayyyy faster than classic rubbers like Sriver and Mark V.  There is plentiful spin, too. It all depends on technique. It's a non-stick very hard rubber, so neither soft european rubber nor hard, sticky chinese rubber techniques are going to produce the desired amount of spin. You have to develop a "hard euro/jap rubber" technique. I don't think it has any less spin than a Donic Bluefire M1 (which is also a very hard rubber). 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topspinschuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2015 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

How does it behave with the new ball?

They get along well. Smile  Just like any other high performance rubber...
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2015 at 2:08am
Would like to know how it holds up in 2 months or about 8 weeks.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topspinschuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2015 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

Would like to know how it holds up in 2 months or about 8 weeks.

I'll try to update as much as I can (i.e. when I remember to). It won't hurt to remind me, too, in case I forget. :) 
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2015 at 6:09pm
Did you weigh the cut rubber by any chance?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2015 at 6:42pm
Just to put in my 2 cents; I've never actually owned this rubber but I tried it on a friend's blade so I can't comment on durability. I found it to have pretty good speed but the spin felt low and the control also felt low. It also had a horrible smell of something akin to some kind of strong solvent or even similar to gasoline. Overall, not really worth it to me no matter the durability.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topspinschuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2015 at 12:04pm
Not sure what you smelled there GeneralSpecific, but the consensus is that this rubber simply does not smell.  This is the first I'm hearing about it. You may have smelled someone's glue. In any case, it's hard to judge a rubber from just hitting with it a few times. It takes a few weeks to fully adjust to a new type of rubber (or blade). 

JimT...I didn't weight it unfortunately after cutting it, but before cutting it the uncut sheets were (if I remember correctly) 53 grams.  Amazingly both the black and red sheets were almost exactly the same weight. The rubbers are super light weight on my racket. If I remember correctly the old outlaws from 6 years ago were in the low to mid 30s grams. The new "Outlaw Classic" seems to be just about in that range. 
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 10:45am
Originally posted by topspinschuss topspinschuss wrote:

After three weeks the topsheet still looks excellent and is still super grippy (like new), so I think that there have been improvements in that department, too, as the old outlaw used to "age" much more quickly

In the meantime, for those of us who *loved* the old gambler outlaw (now Outlaw Classic) but stopped playing with it due to all the bubbling and cracking...it seems to be safe to buy it again. I, for one, am a happy camper.  :)

I was a big fan of Outlaw and not as big a fan of its predecessor Goldway Destroyer.  But as you stated, it aged very quickly.  I look forward to your updates of the topsheet condition as you play with it more.  Thanks.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 11:53am
I'd say get it quick if you want to get it.  It's not available on the wholesale site, which means supplies are limited.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topspinschuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2015 at 5:33am
Ok...the dreaded day has come. I hadn't played since my last update about a week ago. Yesterday I played again and within half an hour my forehand rubber developed a cluster of 4-5 bubbles right smack in the middle of my blade. Rubbers are growing in size (almost as we speak...LOL) with every hit. This is, unfortunately, very disappointing as the way the bubbles form is exactly the same way it did on the old outlaw from 6 years ago. The black rubber is still fine on my backhand, but then...i'm mostly a forehand player. Thought I'd update. So...the search goes on. 

While I'm at it...anyone tried 729 Battle I and can compare it to the Outlaw? Would that be a good alternative? If not, what is? 
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2015 at 5:42am
That's disappointing, especially since Tom told you it had been resolved...

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topspinschuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2015 at 6:54am
Yeah...tell me about it. Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic