Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Brett Clarke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series
    Posted: 04/26/2017 at 8:15am
Table Tennis Videos by Brett Clarke
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2017 at 1:40am
New Video 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2016 at 6:58am
Here's part 1 of our new series on ttEDGE.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2016 at 9:37am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2016 at 6:06pm
Here is my latest video from the Learning Table Tennis Series. Let me know what you think.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 8:26pm
Here's the latest Punch Serve video with NextLevel.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2016 at 3:55pm
Thanks - Very helpful!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2016 at 9:19am
Here is my latest video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2016 at 5:59am
Here is my latest video in this series with NextLevel.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2015 at 11:55pm
I do it a lot already, Brett. I am not sure that it belongs in my game and I think I overdo it. But if you take apart my current pivot in private, I might be motivated.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2015 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I told you guys I was finally going to do footwork... My strokes are being wasted without it...

NextLevel, Can we please see you doing some Pivot Forehands, as per this video?

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2015 at 3:18pm
I told you guys I was finally going to do footwork... My strokes are being wasted without it...
Cybershape Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2015 at 3:05pm
Watch NextLevel battling with forehand cross footwork. He gets off to a slow start and then owns it by the end.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2015 at 12:47am
Originally posted by Coach K Coach K wrote:

Coach C,

I love your point at the end of the video about establishing neural pathways. I am planning on devising a revolutionary system of improvement based on this - could you share your thoughts about some ideas I have planned for off-the-table training? This includes not only shadow stroking, but devices such as sitting at our computers with our feet in ready position, perhaps even sacrificing the chair to stand in the ready position and build leg/core strength, and holding our forks at dinner in the grip of a neutral racket hold. While this surely is NOT meant to be a substitute for training, I've always believed that small adjustments like this could make just the slightest difference, and anybody will a competitive edge will be sure to do so.

-Coach K

If you have shown the efficacy of your program on students, I am sure it will have many followers.  Brett taught me the reverse serve using frisbee tossing as a pedagogic device, so I know such methods have potential.  Feel free to share the result of your work with students.

Cybershape Carbon
Coach K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coach K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2015 at 11:12pm
Coach C,

I love your point at the end of the video about establishing neural pathways. I am planning on devising a revolutionary system of improvement based on this - could you share your thoughts about some ideas I have planned for off-the-table training? This includes not only shadow stroking, but devices such as sitting at our computers with our feet in ready position, perhaps even sacrificing the chair to stand in the ready position and build leg/core strength, and holding our forks at dinner in the grip of a neutral racket hold. While this surely is NOT meant to be a substitute for training, I've always believed that small adjustments like this could make just the slightest difference, and anybody will a competitive edge will be sure to do so.

-Coach K
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2015 at 12:56am
Originally posted by wilkinru wilkinru wrote:

I do the exact same thing when blocking NL.

Heck lately I've been caught with really slow balls that I expected to have to block at my shoulder and have been "counter" hitting them like that over the table. It is the most physically demanding shot - I have to get as low as possible and absolutely muscle the ball. Punishment for not doing a correct shot!

Yeah, I started out that way.  IT looks amazing when it works.  Unfortunately, unless you use pips or something to slow down the ball, as the loopers get stronger, it gets harder to block like that.  If you take the ball that early, enjoy it while it lasts because at a certain level, it becomes almost impossible.

Edited by NextLevel - 09/20/2015 at 12:56am
Cybershape Carbon
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2015 at 6:45pm
I do the exact same thing when blocking NL.

Heck lately I've been caught with really slow balls that I expected to have to block at my shoulder and have been "counter" hitting them like that over the table. It is the most physically demanding shot - I have to get as low as possible and absolutely muscle the ball. Punishment for not doing a correct shot!
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2015 at 4:40pm
Guys, as you can see, I am still learning to move and counterspin so take it easy on me...
Cybershape Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2015 at 4:30pm

Here is an analysis of NextLevel's forehand block.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2015 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by wilkinru wilkinru wrote:

Right now if I'm close to the table I tend to counter (flat hit) a very spinny top spin. This is even more true if it has side spin. For me this just presents more of the face of the paddle and reduces my errors. I just don't feel like I have time for most of the balls to prepare a loop - this might change eventually.

A step away from the table I find the flat hit pretty ineffective - the need to apply spin and power becomes more important. Plus with the added time I feel I can execute this shot with a good chance of winning the point (at my current level).

Does it eventually just turn into looping everything all the time? That was my friend's advice - "just loop everything".

Hey wilkinru, when people have trouble counterspinning from close to the table, it's often because they don't bend their knees enough. Check out how low Ma Lin is when making a counterspin at the table. 

Next time you try it, bend you knees as much as you can and just see how different the shot feels.

It's almost at the point now where top players are just topspinning everything on the forehand.

wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2015 at 4:17pm
Right now if I'm close to the table I tend to counter (flat hit) a very spinny top spin. This is even more true if it has side spin. For me this just presents more of the face of the paddle and reduces my errors. I just don't feel like I have time for most of the balls to prepare a loop - this might change eventually.

A step away from the table I find the flat hit pretty ineffective - the need to apply spin and power becomes more important. Plus with the added time I feel I can execute this shot with a good chance of winning the point (at my current level).

Does it eventually just turn into looping everything all the time? That was my friend's advice - "just loop everything".

Edited by wilkinru - 09/18/2015 at 4:19pm
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2015 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

The forehand really looks good, considering the guys backhand is his smoking shot.  I feel more comfortable just smashing flat into those by putting my body into them.  

I do understand the feeling that there is a lot of safety in those long strokes when you can afford the time.  I couldn't do it at all right now with any consistency.  I would certainly call it an advanced stroke and a low percentage shot for the guys I play with.

I don't know, it's hard for me to envision a flat hit not being the best option for a ball that high and spinny.  

Flat hitting/smashing against topspin has gone out of table tennis as counterspinning has proven to have better risk to reward in general. At an elite level, it's actually quite rare to see anyone smashing anything but a lob these days . 

I do understand that a flat hit may still be the best option if one doesn't have the time or environment to practise counterspinning. It can however be surprising how quickly you can make the change if you are prepared to put in a few hours and make a few errors during the transition.

Edited by Brett Clarke - 09/18/2015 at 3:28pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2015 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Brett Clarke Brett Clarke wrote:

A great way to improve your strokes is to use shadow-swinging as there is no pressure.

The one thing I will say for Andy is that his shadow training as improved the general waist rotation and body turn and made it feel more natural for him to do while swinging.  Even as the stroke being grooved was imperfect, the physical effects on his hip/waist/core/shoulder rotation were great for him.
Cybershape Carbon
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 11:18pm
The forehand really looks good, considering the guys backhand is his smoking shot.  I feel more comfortable just smashing flat into those by putting my body into them.  

I do understand the feeling that there is a lot of safety in those long strokes when you can afford the time.  I couldn't do it at all right now with any consistency.  I would certainly call it an advanced stroke and a low percentage shot for the guys I play with.

I don't know, it's hard for me to envision a flat hit not being the best option for a ball that high and spinny.  
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
boliao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 8:53pm
That's why we keep hearing "Practise, Practise, Practise".
With improvement comes appreciation of the finer details.
Sometimes I can still hear echoes of "loop like the bear" ...
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 7:05pm
Why is it when I watch a video I've watched before...I see yet more technique details? I think it's because these techniques are not easy and it takes me time to build off of more simple, less correct versions of the technique. In this example I am seeing much more on how the wrist quickly moves the paddle into a closed racket angle. Right now my angle stays closed for the whole shot and I'm missing out on a good amount of wrist action (not all as my wrist currently is loose enough to go side to side).

This constant new discoveries on the same content is to the point where perhaps Brett should continue to make videos of topics already covered but with new footage. This is what most magazines do. How many new top 10 tips for losing weight can possibly go into a magazine?

My club mates have complimented me on the loop with things like "that's a weapon now!", "you get some good pop on that forehand", "before all you did was backhand and now [forehand loop motion & smile]".

However I'm watching these silly videos again and smile...there's more power (and consistency) to be had!

It's getting to the point where I'm basically a TTedge fanboi and the mods might be thinking I'm an advertisement disguised as a lower level player.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 6:41pm
"If you get it wrong, the club won't swing and you'll know it..." - Brilliant!
Cybershape Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 6:25pm
FYI, all Australians know about kangaroos and table tennis technique. 

Here, watch the stupid video instead 

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I know a table tennis guru who uses a golf club to emphasize the mechanics of the forehand and underline how smoothness is important; I need to remember where I saw that.

I hear he is Australian too. What do they know about table tennis?
Cybershape Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 4:41pm
A great way to improve your strokes is to use shadow-swinging as there is no pressure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic