Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Unknown Rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 12:18am
I went back and read the original post. I guess I assumed we were aiming for a cheap rubber.
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Sponsored Links

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 8:17am
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

Originally posted by ahsq ahsq wrote:

I thought the whole purpose of getting a "Best Unknown Rubbers" is for the price reason. If the Irbis costs $20 and target costs $25, what the heck is the point? Might as well pay $10 more and get a legitimate ESN rubber for $35.

Thumbs Down

Agreed. Even the Palio Tensors are less than $30

get some five dollar sheets of 868 and boost the sponge. case closed

Or be a big spender and do a couple of sheets of dawei 2000XP for 8 dollars each. I think they would be fine without boosting.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 8:44am
I only posted the sanwei target national because someone was asking about it. Do i agree with its very high price? No. Let me just describe it as a cross between haifu and commercial h3
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 8:44am
2008 xp is great at $8. Quite heavy though.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 8:48am

Extremely heavy. I almost exclusively buy it in 1.8mm for beginner paddles for this reason. I did have it in max once.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 11:02am
theo, for the avoidance of repeat asking, can you post the $5 868 you refer to please.
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 11:04am

I thought the whole purpose of getting a "Best Unknown Rubbers" is for the price reason. If the Irbis costs $20 and target costs $25, what the heck is the point? Might as well pay $10 more and get a legitimate ESN rubber for $35.

Thumbs Down

1. Irbis is really a rare bird in the US; actually I haven't seen anyone in this country play Spinlord smooth rubbers .

2. It is pretty good quality

3. It is relatively cheap as well (if you are looking for something that plays, let's say, similar to Omega IV Asia which is $50-55)
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 11:05am

I'm working at trying to get this down.  One time they will get it down close to 62, then next time it will be closer to 70.

I guess that's what you get with an $8 rubber.  Even heavy, it's worth $8
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 11:22am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Thumbs Down

1. Irbis is really a rare bird in the US; actually I haven't seen anyone in this country play Spinlord smooth rubbers .

3. It is relatively cheap as well (if you are looking for something that plays, let's say, similar to Omega IV Asia which is $50-55)

JIM, Irbis is readily available at TT11, its a soft sponge mid-hard very tacky topsheet according to TT11. I guess it qualifies for best unknown. I'd love to try it but prolly wont buy it to try it, and no O5A isnt $50+ if one does bulk order from TT11. its around $35-.
FS:

ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 11:24am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I'm working at trying to get this down.  One time they will get it down close to 62, then next time it will be closer to 70.

I guess that's what you get with an $8 rubber.  Even heavy, it's worth $8

i found the hardness 47 max work very well on my backup blade. damn sheet was big domed out the package.
FS:

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 12:07pm

theo, for the avoidance of repeat asking, can you post the $5 868 you refer to please.

sure, I've ordered it from ttnpp and eacheng several times

http://www.eacheng.net/index.php?act=detail&ID=3252 $6 for a pair plus shipping on eacheng

Edited by the_theologian - 10/13/2015 at 12:09pm
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 12:24pm
is the 868 only good when boosted? I obviously never dealt with boosters, but I do have the haifu speed glue.
FS:

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 12:34pm

is the 868 only good when boosted? I obviously never dealt with boosters, but I do have the haifu speed glue.

It's also good unboosted. It's grippy and lightweight. Just slow if not boosted.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 9:20pm

Thumbs Down

JIM, Irbis is readily available at TT11, its a soft sponge mid-hard very tacky topsheet according to TT11. I guess it qualifies for best unknown. I'd love to try it but prolly wont buy it to try it, and no O5A isnt $50+ if one does bulk order from TT11. its around $35-.

No, I think you are confusing it with some other rubber. Irbis is non-tacky.

Also, why would a player bulk-order Xiom Omega Asia ? This is not something you would be selling to many of your clubmates, I think...

Anyways, I tried it. First impressions are a bit mixed. It is fast, with good control, but spin is alas noticeably lower than Tenergy or KTL RDM. But it could be just the first try, I will give it some time to settle and then will try it again.

Hidden Dragon Biotech 2.0 mm turned out to be a much better spin but noticeably slower. Suitable for those who play close to the table - which is not me yet. At some point when my knees will give up, I will have to become that guy but ... not yet.

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2015 at 12:12am

No, I think you are confusing it with some other rubber. Irbis is non-tacky.

Also, why would a player bulk-order Xiom Omega Asia ? This is not something you would be selling to many of your clubmates, I think...

Anyways, I tried it. First impressions are a bit mixed. It is fast, with good control, but spin is alas noticeably lower than Tenergy or KTL RDM. But it could be just the first try, I will give it some time to settle and then will try it again.

Something in the back of my mind was suspicious this might have been the case. It's why I was asking you about the topsheet. But still, like you said give it a little time and see if it maybe breaks in a little.

Coming from Omega 5 Asia myself, there aren't too many rubbers that have a topsheet with as much grip so I'm a bit demanding in that regard.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2015 at 9:55am
bulk order as in group order as in order a bunch of different rubbers. sorry for the mishap

like I said, I'd like to try an irbis to test the waters if there's a chance. I like MX-P too much to replace it and irbis aint $10-.

GS, have you tried Mx-P? Im not going back to Omegas, ever.....well until my stash runs out.

Edited by ahsq - 10/14/2015 at 9:58am
FS:

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2015 at 1:16pm

GS, have you tried Mx-P? Im not going back to Omegas, ever.....well until my stash runs out.

I have hit with mxp. It is an excellent rubber. While definitely faster than my O5A, it doesn't have as much spin. Not by a huge margin but O5A felt like it had a little more to me. O5A also has a better feeling to me but feeling is just a personal preference and opinion. I have also used fxp for several months before and found the durability to be ahout 6ish months where as modern Xiom rubber is more like 9 to 12 months.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2015 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Coming from Omega 5 Asia myself, there aren't too many rubbers that have a topsheet with as much grip so I'm a bit demanding in that regard.

How heavy is it though? Omega IV used to be relatively heavy like at least 45 g cut. Also I wouldn't say O4A was a very high-grip rubber. It was decent but not at Tenergy level. Is O5A better than O4A?

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2015 at 1:55pm

How heavy is it though? Omega IV used to be relatively heavy like at least 45 g cut. Also I wouldn't say O4A was a very high-grip rubber. It was decent but not at Tenergy level. Is O5A better than O4A?

O5A is much higher grip, with that soft, matte rubber composition you see on more recent tensors. Still just as heavy though, if not more so. Excellent rubber. One of the best in recent years IMO.

Edited by AndySmith - 10/14/2015 at 1:56pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2015 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

O5A is much higher grip, with that soft, matte rubber composition you see on more recent tensors. Still just as heavy though, if not more so. Excellent rubber. One of the best in recent years IMO.
Exactly this.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2015 at 3:37pm

sure, I've ordered it from ttnpp and eacheng several times

http://www.eacheng.net/index.php?act=detail&ID=3252 $6 for a pair plus shipping on eacheng

The price of some "china-friend"'s items are very very reasonable, even better than AliExpress Big smile
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2015 at 4:57pm

Sounds interesting. I wonder if anyone here might be selling a slightly used version of Omega V Asia so I could try it out. If it is heavier than 45g, though, I am not sure I should. Maybe if I had short pips on the other side like on one of my training/sparring paddles.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2015 at 5:02pm
By the way, my first impression from Irbis was that, among the rubbers I have tried within the last year or so, the closest analog would be, I think, Gambler Outlaw Soft.

But again, more serious impressions will be posted only after I play with it more than 5-10 minutes. Not sure when that will happen, probably next week. Have to get myself more practice before NA Teams and that means playing with my regular setup.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2015 at 5:29pm

Exactly this.

Compared to Rasant Grip? What say you, gentlemen.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2015 at 5:42pm
I've never actually tried an Andro rubbers as far as I can remember. Maybe someone else can weigh in?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2015 at 6:14pm
have a RPG, plays completely different
FS:

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2015 at 8:18pm

have a RPG, plays completely different

RPG is a great acronym, no?

Rpg's sponge is pretty similar, but the topsheet is different to O5A. Harder, more direct. They do play unlike each other .

Rasant Grip is closer to O5A in as roundabout way with a softer sponge, but even then the differences are noticeable. Omega has more immediate grab and less bounciness, but has a mean top end gear which RG lacks IMO. Omega is the best hard sponge/soft topsheet arrangement out there at the moment for me. RG is more medium everything, a good performer and safe pick, possibly more forgiving on harder swings (technique dependant) but less powerful and threatening.

Most of it comes down to stroke type for me. I still have an overly brushy, big fh stroke after years of tacky rubber use. O5A works better for me because it supports brushing well while retaining speed and stability on drives too. It's a bit fast for smashes though. Small quibble in the grand scheme of things.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2015 at 4:56am

Sounds interesting. I wonder if anyone here might be selling a slightly used version of Omega V Asia so I could try it out. If it is heavier than 45g, though, I am not sure I should. Maybe if I had short pips on the other side like on one of my training/sparring paddles.

My sheet is cut slightly large (160hx150w), has a layer of glue on, and weighs 53.08g.

Edit - this is a 2.0mm, black one.

Edited by AndySmith - 10/15/2015 at 5:04am
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2015 at 6:21am
I cant speak for omega v asia but ovp has really high grip even after a slight fase spot from playing in humid conditions. The fade spot is slightly bellow the middle of the face, so I guess ball never realy reaches it unless Im in a push war.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2015 at 6:22am
Fade* and its nearly hitting its 7th month.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic