Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Pips Review: SpinLord Waran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 1:10am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

So you mean deep balls. If that is the case then it is more a problem with his technique. I personally can't attack with pips on the forehand but I used Spectol on the backhand before (boosted) and deep balls are not a problem. Even unboosted I can still attack consistently but unboosted classic short pips were slow and didn't have good feeling on attacks for me.

You can check out the megatest video of Waran to see if that gives you anymore information because they test it on both forehand and backhand. They even manage to do some counterlooping with it from mid distance on the forehand. They weren't very threatening counterloops, which falls in line with what I wrote about counterlooping with Waran in my review, but they still managed to keep them controlled and consistent.

Hi how s the arc of wRan compared to 802? You claim you can do a lot of variation seems like spinpips. Maybe?

Waran definitely has a higher throw angle than 802. I've never tried spinpips.

In the video it looks like the trwjectory is a bit tricky. So you think waran is more hard to play against than 802? What short pip do you tbink is more flatter than 802 but not so tricky?
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 9:16am
Waran is harder to play against only because of its speed and the extra variety of shots it is capable of doing. I know we both have experience with Spectol. Spectol is flatter than 802.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2016 at 1:50pm
ClapClapClap
Believer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2016 at 5:57pm
GeneralSpecific,

I am experimenting short pips these days.  Thanks for a good review.  Like one mentioned earlier, the sound of it is the reason for me to get one sheet to try Big smile.

It sounds amazing for a short pips.  Thanks!
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2016 at 11:57am
OP, did you ever try Spinlord Degu II? If so, how does it compare with Warren? 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2016 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

OP, did you ever try Spinlord Degu II? If so, how does it compare with Warren? 

No I've never tried it but I can tell you that the Degu topsheet is spinnier and the Degu II sponge is harder and much slower.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2016 at 8:31pm

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

So you mean deep balls. If that is the case then it is more a problem with his technique. I personally can't attack with pips on the forehand but I used Spectol on the backhand before (boosted) and deep balls are not a problem. Even unboosted I can still attack consistently but unboosted classic short pips were slow and didn't have good feeling on attacks for me.

You can check out the megatest video of Waran to see if that gives you anymore information because they test it on both forehand and backhand. They even manage to do some counterlooping with it from mid distance on the forehand. They weren't very threatening counterloops, which falls in line with what I wrote about counterlooping with Waran in my review, but they still managed to keep them controlled and consistent.

Hi how s the arc of wRan compared to 802? You claim you can do a lot of variation seems like spinpips. Maybe?

Waran definitely has a higher throw angle than 802. I've never tried spinpips.

Pics of the new spinpips

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/pinpon_kids/imgs/1/9/19dc89cd.jpg
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/pinpon_kids/imgs/6/9/69b83af2.jpg

berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2016 at 2:42am
there's 2 new spectol versions coming out in May, blue and red

blue is hard and fast

red is softer and has more spin
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2016 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by berkeleydoctor berkeleydoctor wrote:

there's 2 new spectol versions coming out in May, blue and red

blue is hard and fast

red is softer and has more spin

Any info about the new bty sp?
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2016 at 12:21am
I have Degu, Degu 2, and Warren. I have them all in 1.5 sponge. I personally don't care for regular Degu. The sponge is way to soft and it bottoms out very easily, which leads to erratic no-spin and random spin balls when I smash hard. Degu 2 and Warren are both really good rubbers. Warren is faster and Degu 2 is spinnier and significantly slower. For some reason, I like pushing better with Warren. Degu 2 can generate significantly more spin on serves. Both Degu 2 and Warren are really really good at hitting and blocking. When I drive with Degu 2, opponents usually comment that they are surprised by the amount of spin it has. When I drive with Warren, opponents seem to dump more returns into the net and have a hard time judging the spin. I think the speed also gives them a lot less time to react and prepare for the shot which also makes it more difficult for them to judge their returns.

Edited by ericd937 - 07/14/2016 at 12:26am
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2016 at 12:27am
Also, Degu 2 is harder sponge and softer topsheet. Warren is harder topsheet and softer sponge.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2018 at 7:44am
anybody tried Waran 2? what difference compare to Waran?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2018 at 12:10am
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

I have never tried Waran 2 but I know it uses the same exact topsheet but with a harder and even faster sponge.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2018 at 9:39am

I have never tried Waran 2 but I know it uses the same exact topsheet but with a harder and even faster sponge.

does what description says, harder and faster ) I want to know how does it play ...
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2018 at 3:52pm

does what description says, harder and faster ) I want to know how does it play ...

Dead like a 802 rubber slow and hard
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2018 at 3:55pm
Slow? Slower then waran?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2018 at 4:06pm

This makes it seems really fast.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2018 at 4:28pm

I would love to see how does it play on BH ..
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2018 at 4:38pm

I would love to see how does it play on BH ..

I mean, these guys have a ton of footage of it. Have you even tried searching youtube for Waran 2?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2018 at 5:00pm
thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic