Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to serve [Good instructional Video]

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
acid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to serve [Good instructional Video]
    Posted: 10/02/2015 at 1:13am
Here is a good basic instructional video on the Services, spins, contacts etc. ! I found it very helpful for a lot of people. With the slow motion of many top players' services in the world, hope you all can learn something from this. Clap

if Life is short, play Ping Pong to make it longer :P
Sponsored Links

acid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 1:29am
Left hand and Reverse Pendulum serves Ouch
Wanna be like JZK ? LOL Wink

if Life is short, play Ping Pong to make it longer :P
boliao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 7:25am
Nothing against you acid.

I just find it interesting both service instructional videos from ittf would show these 'near vertical' throws Ouch
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 12:40pm
Actually, I expected Par Gerell to be featured in the video.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by boliao boliao wrote:

I just find it interesting both service instructional videos from ittf would show these 'near vertical' throws Ouch

I think this clearly shows the intent of the ITTF in terms of the degree of latitude they think should be allowed.  Like I said earlier, the rule was intended as a tweak, not a sea change.
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 1:08pm
And the same goes for 'serve must be visible': what ITTF really meant was, you can cheat almost as much as you want to.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 1:26pm
I think it is like the strike zone in professional baseball and I just don't let it bother me.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I think this clearly shows the intent of the ITTF in terms of the degree of latitude they think should be allowed.  Like I said earlier, the rule was intended as a tweak, not a sea change.

It's fairly ridiculous to say this after all the evidence wturber presented in the last thread.

There is guidance around ball toss and near vertical throws.  Why not reference that instead of making up something about the intention of the rules, when historical evidence has already shown that the intention behind the rules is not in accordance with what you claimed?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 2:08pm
Well, let us just say that ITTF presents a highly mixed message.  I am still impressed most by the way ITTF umpires call matches in the most important events, and now this.  Like many organizations, I suspect there are factions within ITTF.  Or they simply can't all get on the same page.

In other sports when competition committees of the primary organization mandate a rule change, or some change in the way existing rules are enforced, there is usually significant movement by referees/umpires towards the desire outcome.  Certainly you see this in basketball and American football in the US (what constitutes roughing the passer or pass interference, or what constitutes a charge or blocking foul in the paint).  ITTF umpires are actually pretty consistent in what they allow as far as I can tell.

But there are exceptions.  In professional baseball in the US, a strike is defined as ""The Strike Zone is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the boottom  of the knees. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball." In fact, it is almost always called differently than that and  different umpires have different strike zones. http://www.businessinsider.com/mlb-strike-zone-2014-9
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 2:36pm

Well, let us just say that ITTF presents a highly mixed message.  I am still impressed most by the way ITTF umpires call matches in the most important events, and now this.  Like many organizations, I suspect there are factions within ITTF.  Or they simply can't all get on the same page.

In other sports when competition committees of the primary organization mandate a rule change, or some change in the way existing rules are enforced, there is usually significant movement by referees/umpires towards the desire outcome.  Certainly you see this in basketball and American football in the US (what constitutes roughing the passer or pass interference, or what constitutes a charge or blocking foul in the paint).  ITTF umpires are actually pretty consistent in what they allow as far as I can tell.

But there are exceptions.  In professional baseball in the US, a strike is defined as ""The Strike Zone is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the boottom  of the knees. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball." In fact, it is almost always called differently than that and  different umpires have different strike zones. http://www.businessinsider.com/mlb-strike-zone-2014-9

Let's just say that whatever you are saying, it is largely your own opinion, which is respectable, but must be stated as such.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 2:41pm
For sure, that is just my opinion but I also think that it is supported by various things we can all see with our eyes.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 2:47pm

For sure, that is just my opinion but I also think that it is supported by various things we can all see with our eyes.

Yes, but also in contrast with many things that can also be seen with the eyes, especially the official rules that were ratified by the ITTF rules committees and the guidance provided in such books for interpreting the rules, things that your eyes seem to conveniently not see when it suits you.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 2:50pm
I weigh what I see a certain way.  Others weigh it differently.  What I see perhaps is colored by my opinion that from the beginning this was a dumb rule.  So no I am not entirely objective.

The one thing everyone agrees on is that the rules are essentially never enforced the way they are written.  And I ask, how can that be in the most important events in our sport and in other things ITTF allows to be released with their name on it?  Is it one of the four following explanations or are the other reasons why people are allowed to serve this way?

1.  Incompetent or spineless umpires (what wturber seems to be arguing)?

2.  Current serves among pro players are a feflection of what ITTF had in mind (wturber has presented good evidence this is probably not the explanation). 

3.  Has there been  a realization that even if things are called a little differently from the rules originally specified, the difference in serving motions compared to what was common in 1999 has still accomplished the goal of making serve less of an advantage than before, and they don't want to go any further to help the returner?

4.  Factions within ITTF that actually reflect the different points of view we see here at MyTT?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 3:02pm

I weigh what I see a certain way.  Others weigh it differently.  What I see perhaps is colored by my opinion that from the beginning this was a dumb rule.  So no I am not entirely objective. 

The one thing everyone agrees on is that the rules are essentially never enforced the way they are written.  And I ask, how can that be in the most important events in our sport and in other things ITTF allows to be released with their name on it?  Is it one of the four following explanations or are the other reasons why people are allowed to serve this way?

1.  Incompetent or spineless umpires (what wturber seems to be arguing)?

2.  Current serves among pro players are a feflection of what ITTF had in mind (wturber has presented good evidence this is probably not the explanation).  

3.  Has there been  a realization that even if things are called a little differently from the rules originally specified, the difference in serving motions compared to what was common in 1999 has still accomplished the goal of making serve less of an advantage than before, and they don't want to go any further to help the returner?

4.  Factions within ITTF that actually reflect the different points of view we see here at MyTT?

I think the contrast between the above two posts speaks for itself.  I have no problems with the second post, which I think far more accurately describes the current state than the first, which unproblematically casts your opinion as the current state.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 3:26pm
Well, the second one is better for sure.  I thought about it longer before I wrote it and then I wrote it more carefully. 

I still find it pretty funny that the ITTF releases a video on how to serve that shows (with red lines!!!) non vertical serves that will give some people here indigestion.  Clearly somebody at ITTF thinks that is ok. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 3:41pm

Well, the second one is better for sure.  I thought about it longer before I wrote it and then I wrote it more carefully. 

I still find it pretty funny that the ITTF releases a video on how to serve that shows (with red lines!!!) non vertical serves that will give some people here indigestion.  Clearly somebody at ITTF thinks that is ok. 

Yes, it is funny.  I really believe that other than conversations and a few clinics, there is nothing like the kind of umpire review that major sports have to standardize officiating.    Table tennis is a broke man's sport.
Cybershape Carbon
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 10:09pm
"SERVICE OF PRONOUNCED LEGALITY."   THE NEW RULE 2.6.6.1

Umpire must be invariably alert of the low toss service. Player is required to perform a service that "obviously legal".   This implys a toss distinctly above 16cm. Say about 25 --50cm.

Once you throw a low toss 16cm, this is the trigger for umpire to think your toss of suspicious legality.

The new Law 2.6.6.1   dictates as follows
-- Service that is not clearly legal shall be reckoned as incorrect.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2015 at 12:58am
What about between a and b? this the area of pro serving
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic