FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Playing a match vs 'just hitting'.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sneakysidespin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sneakysidespin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing a match vs 'just hitting'.
    Posted: 10/04/2015 at 4:39am
Hello guys/girls,

*disclaimer* It's my first post, go  easy on my if I have made any rookie posting errors. Tongue

Background info - I've been playing table tennis for just over a year now( in Australia) and have only recently achieved a level where I am starting to play with a bit more confidence and consistency( I have been coached). I currently play recreationally, but I am starting to delve into the path of competition.

As I have been playing more often, It's recently dawned on me that the people  seem to enjoy and have a preference to having a 'match', whilst others would rather 'mess around'.  My question is when you play for fun, do you have an actual match or  do you just hit? or do you have any other game modes that you do for kicks?

I relax too much when I 'mess around'. This comes back to bite me when the next person I play wants to play an actual game. So now I prefer to play matches. I find I play a lot better when it I play matches and I am increasingly finding it more enjoyable. I also really like playing doubles.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 5:08pm
If I went down to a club and just had a hit, I would be bored to death after 10 minutes
 I can understand doing some drills or some kind or organised training
I prefer games as well

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 5:15pm
At the lower levels, people mess around and play matches. At the higher levels, people do drills and play matches.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2015 at 7:30pm
some people like drills others like match play it's all up to you and you're partner 
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 12:04am
Depends on the members - at our club - some people only play matches. Some people play like it's a match but won't count points - apparently it's too stressful (true story - 3 or 4 people in our club). Some like doing drills and then play matches. Others just mess around. 

So it's best to scout out the members and try to play with people that want to play your style. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
sneakysidespin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sneakysidespin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 7:12am
Thanks for the insight guys. I'm stoked just to be able to play so it doesn't bother me currently. I just wanted to hear your thoughts. I use to play at a local bar before I found the table tennis club and everyone who played at the bar would only play matches. I then started attending the club and found that some people prefer just to mess around. I will hopefully find a training partner soon.

Thanks.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 1:58pm
Since you're taking lessons - might want to ask other students of the coach. This way both of you will be trying to learn/practice similar techniques. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 2:19pm
In my experience, just playing matches doesn't do a great job of improving your game, unless you get the opportunity to play a lot against players that are higher level than you.  When playing matches against players at your level and below, you don't get that much exposure to things that bring you out of your comfort zone.  Plus you'll tend to not play at ease and try new things, because you'll be afraid of making mistakes or you will lose.

Messing around and hitting is just fine, as it gives more opportunity to try new things.  But most of the time when messing around you'll tend to do things that you already do well, and not work on weaknesses in your game.

It is best if you can have a hitting/training partner that is willing to work with you, i.e. willing to spend time helping you to work on specific things and do drills etc.  It's even better if this training partner has skills where they can facilitate more advanced drills (i.e. returning chops, away from table counter looping, etc).

Or you can get the ultimate training partner, i.e. a coach.  Of course that costs $$$ though.  :(

There is no question that real improvement in my game has come out of more focus on training drills and specifically working on parts of my game.  Sadly, it seems like I still do way too little of this these days.

Edited by geardaddy - 10/05/2015 at 2:20pm
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 2:22pm
For me, just hitting around is more of a basement player mentality and is done more for the social aspects.  I'm more into the competitive and health aspects of table tennis so I prefer doing drills followed by matches.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2015 at 2:47pm
i believe there are things you can only learn playing games...
However the drills and hitting around are good for practicing the correct form...

the point is whatever you do, you need to do it with purpose... 
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic