Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Rubber Protector Sheet Ruined my Rubber!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Uskglass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uskglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rubber Protector Sheet Ruined my Rubber!
    Posted: 10/09/2015 at 12:01am
I use DHS TG3 Neo on my forehand and since this is a tacky rubber I always clean it with a bit of water and a soft sponge after use and put a rubber protection plastic film on there. Today I pulled up the film and saw that a 1" piece of the topsheet towards the center had pulled up from the sponge and now I had a big bubble on there. The rubber now has a big deal spot in it where the bubble is and I have to replace it. It's a bummer because usually TG3 lasts a long time, any way to avoid this happening in the future?
Yinhe Earth.3 - DHS TG3 Neo/729 Aurora
Sponsored Links

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 12:30am
The problem is not the protection sheet, it's the rubber sheet that's not glued well enough together.
Although not using protection sheet may help, the top-sheet will dry out more quickly, so it will lose it's grip more quickly.

Since the bond between topsheet must already be weak, it would probably be just a matter of time before it came lose thought playing anyway. Not a lot you can do about really...just hope the next sheet is better glued together.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 1:44am
On another note, cleaning your rubber with a sponge isn't necessary and is a good way to deteriorate the top surface of the rubber.

I cringe when I see people "cleaning" their rubbers this way and I can often tell they do by looking at the rubber.

Edited by the_theologian - 10/09/2015 at 1:46am
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 2:10am
BTW was this an adhesive protective sheet? Because those should only be used on non-tacky rubbers.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 2:29am
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

BTW was this an adhesive protective sheet? Because those should only be used on non-tacky rubbers.

That's just a myth. I've been using adhesive protective sheets on DHS H3 Neo for more than a year now. There is no observable detrimental effect on H3's tackiness, on the contrary, using the adhesive sheet between matches removes a lost of dust from the rubber.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 5:05am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

That's just a myth. I've been using adhesive protective sheets on DHS H3 Neo for more than a year now. There is no observable detrimental effect on H3's tackiness, on the contrary, using the adhesive sheet between matches removes a lost of dust from the rubber.

Just a counterpoint to this - I ruined a sheet of Skyline with an adhesive protector some years ago.  Put the sheet on for the first time after a match, came back to it a few days later and removing the sheet resulted in the sticky layer being left behind on the topsheet of the Skyline.  So the protector ended up totally non-sticky, and the Skyline topsheet was a gummy sticky mush which was impossible to clean off.

I know the Skyline topsheet has changed in recent years, and not all protector sheets are the same.  vvk1 has had a good experience, which is nice, but I would still advise caution.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 6:56am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Just a counterpoint to this - I ruined a sheet of Skyline with an adhesive protector some years ago.  Put the sheet on for the first time after a match, came back to it a few days later and removing the sheet resulted in the sticky layer being left behind on the topsheet of the Skyline.  So the protector ended up totally non-sticky, and the Skyline topsheet was a gummy sticky mush which was impossible to clean off.

I know the Skyline topsheet has changed in recent years, and not all protector sheets are the same.  vvk1 has had a good experience, which is nice, but I would still advise caution.

Good point - the type of protective sheet could very well make a difference. I've used Yasaka and Donic Formula rubber protection sheets (purchased from globaltabletennis.com).

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 7:41am

Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Good point - the type of protective sheet could very well make a difference. I've used Yasaka and Donic Formula rubber protection sheets (purchased from globaltabletennis.com).

Hmmm, yeah.  Mine was a KTL one.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 8:49am
Was the rubber boosted?
Im putting my tg3 back on today.

I have both plastic protectors and sticky protectors xiom made. The plastic protectors work great on the sticky surface (this thing got pretty sticky as i left it in a ziplock bag, picked up a tupperwear with only partial contact, im sure itll hold up a ball like Wang Liqin did in that video lol)

perhaps if it was boosted, the stretch on the sponge would lead to stress on topsheet, hence resulting in an unfortunate event.
Perhaps I will just use waxed paper instead of actual plastic protector to be safe.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Uskglass Uskglass wrote:

It's a bummer because usually TG3 lasts a long time, any way to avoid this happening in the future?

either it is a bad glue job or a bad TG3 - rubber protector is not to blame.

Edited by slevin - 10/09/2015 at 9:50am
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 10:04am
no, blame the rubber protector! I am certain that rubber 'protectors' ruin hundreds of rubbers every year, maybe more. Clean your rubber and put it in a case. No need to stick a poop to the surface. I got all kinds of weird things happening to my rubbers with these 'protectors', even if rubber is completely dry when you put the 'protector' , the 'protector' still manages to screw it up with some kind of bubbles. 
heavyforehand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyforehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 10:39am
So it is bad to use a sponge with water? I did not know this. I have a Nittaku sponge I use with water all the time and I have Donic protectors I put on after. 

I guess I am still confused on the best way to keep the rubber clean as I hear using water and your hand is bad because of oils from the hand. 
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive (86 grams)

FH : Joola Rhyzm Max

BH : Joola Rhyzm Max

Weight - 186 grams
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 10:42am
I see no reason that a non-tacky plastic sheet wouldn't be better than open air.  Cases aren't really airtight.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 10:42am
Originally posted by heavyforehand heavyforehand wrote:

So it is bad to use a sponge with water? I did not know this. I have a Nittaku sponge I use with water all the time and I have Donic protectors I put on after. 

I guess I am still confused on the best way to keep the rubber clean as I hear using water and your hand is bad because of oils from the hand. 

A few drops of revolution cleaner, squigi with your hand. Air dry. Nothing more. 2ND choice would be donic bioclean.
Uskglass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uskglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 11:13am
To confirm this was one of those non-adhesive plastic rubber sheets like EachEng gives out free with new rubbers. Rubber is non-boosted. I had been cleaning the rubber after each session by lightly wiping with a slight damp sponge and then waving it dry. Ping Skills and others have recommended this method and it's always worked well for other rubbers. 

I suppose it's possible that the topsheet was just poorly glued and it was inevitable but I'm pretty wary of using rubber protectors again. Is it bad to keep a tacky rubber like this free in the bat case? 

Edited by Uskglass - 10/09/2015 at 11:14am
Yinhe Earth.3 - DHS TG3 Neo/729 Aurora
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 11:20am
lot's of Asian player use their sweat to clean Chinese rubber and it is great.

You should try.
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 11:57am

I heard it was good for the same reason.  I use the water and hand anyways - works good for me and saves money.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 12:09pm
Its the poor quality control on DHS chinese rubbers again. 

I use wet paper towels to clean my rubbers and store into a ziplock bag after air dried. no issues so far. 

FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Crowsfeather Crowsfeather wrote:

You should try.
In fact, I know a lot of asian players use this to clean their tacky Chinese rubbers (rubbers will spinner )

Then, I find this two are good for cleaning non-tacky rubbers

Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 12:56pm
I like Egghead's suggestion, I think not only it works - the rubber will smell good too.
==================

One of our club members who doesn't buy any rubber cleaner nor use water.

He "spits" (saliva) on his rubber and then uses his hand to wipe it dry. He said that's the best.
(I don't recommend this. Hope they come up with a rule to make this illegal.)

skip3119
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

I like Egghead's suggestion, I think not only it works - the rubber will smell good too.
==================

One of our club members who doesn't buy any rubber cleaner nor use water.

He "spits" (saliva) on his rubber and then uses his hand to wipe it dry. He said that's the best.
(I don't recommend this. Hope they come up with a rule to make this illegal.)

he must STANK! stay the heck away from him and his paddle/ball contacts
FS:

ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

Originally posted by Crowsfeather Crowsfeather wrote:

You should try.
In fact, I know a lot of asian players use this to clean their tacky Chinese rubbers (rubbers will spinner )

Then, I find this two are good for cleaning non-tacky rubbers

http://www.homedepot.com/s/natural%2520all%2520purpose%2520cleaner?NCNI-5

all these products should be great too?

I searched "Natural all purpose cleaner"

Edited by ahsq - 10/09/2015 at 1:09pm
FS:

Chicobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 1:17pm
For hand method, do you use palm or fingers?
Stiga Genesis x2 on Nexy Rubicon
Galaxy Moon/Air Illumina Alpha on Andro Temper Tech Off-
USATT 1620...Learning to play vs long pips
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 8:13pm
Cleaning tacky rubber with water and a sponge works perfectly well and is quite safe, I've been doing that for 20+ years, and I get more life out of them than anyone I know. Just don't leave the rubber wet, use just a moist sponge and wipe it down.

I can also assure anyone that a plastic (non-adhesive) protection sheets WILL add life-time to a tacky rubber. If you let the rubber dry after cleaning, then squeeze the protection sheet on, the tack will be considerably higher than if you just left it in a case. I've compared this numerous times, as I sometimes forget to put the protection sheet on after cleaning, and the effect is quite noticeble.

I would not recommend you use an adhesive protection sheet on a tacky rubber. It's not that it does not work, but it puts a lot of stress on the topsheet-sponge bond when removing, so you are more likely to dislodge the topsheet and get bubbles.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Cleaning tacky rubber with water and a sponge works perfectly well and is quite safe, I've been doing that for 20+ years, and I get more life out of them than anyone I know. Just don't leave the rubber wet, use just a moist sponge and wipe it down.

I can also assure anyone that a plastic (non-adhesive) protection sheets WILL add life-time to a tacky rubber. If you let the rubber dry after cleaning, then squeeze the protection sheet on, the tack will be considerably higher than if you just left it in a case. I've compared this numerous times, as I sometimes forget to put the protection sheet on after cleaning, and the effect is quite noticeble.

I would not recommend you use an adhesive protection sheet on a tacky rubber. It's not that it does not work, but it puts a lot of stress on the topsheet-sponge bond when removing, so you are more likely to dislodge the topsheet and get bubbles.

Agree w you haggisv. Water and sponge cause no problems with the top sheet of all chinese rubbers I have ever used. I think the OPs problem is a bubble from bad QC of DHS.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyforehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 11:35am
I put a Donic protector on one of the chinese rubbers on my backup blade (friendship 729) and when I pulled it off today there is writing from the protector sticking on the rubber. I use a sponge to clean and I dry the rubber as well. Any reason for concern?

Weight - 186 grams
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 12:21pm

I put a Donic protector on one of the chinese rubbers on my backup blade (friendship 729) and when I pulled it off today there is writing from the protector sticking on the rubber. I use a sponge to clean and I dry the rubber as well. Any reason for concern?

The Donic rubber protectors are the worst for this.  If you ever make a mistake and put a sticky side to the print side, it transfers easily and will be on your rubber soon. Toss Donic rubber protectors in the trash.

The transferred paint can be cleaned off the rubber, but it's a chore.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyforehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 1:13pm
dammit! ok, thanks I had no idea. I thought they were supposed to be this way.

Weight - 186 grams
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic