FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Table tennis strategy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Table tennis strategy
    Posted: 10/12/2015 at 12:43pm
Any good suggested reading on this topic including how to play during various scenarios?

Also anything on the mind game would be good. 
Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 12:46pm
I believe Larry Hodges has few books on the topic. Also, his website has a blog section where discusses strategy.

On the mental side: Dora Kurimay (sp?) has book on the topic. I believe she is pro TT player at Spin New York. 

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 1:50pm
I don't know if he still has it as such, but Larry used to have a thing online called "Dr Pingpong's tips" that was an excellent summary of the strength and weaknesses of different styles.

I read and digested that fully when I first got back into tt.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

Any good suggested reading on this topic including how to plBning various scenarios?

Larry Hodges -Table Tennis Tactics for Thinkers
Samson Dubina has stuff on playing different styles.

These two articles by Brett Clarke:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/get_file.cgi?id=299189
http://www.pingskills.com/blog/2009/08/20/serving-more-handy-hints/

Ben Larcombe has a book of drills if you subscribe to his website.

http://www.experttabletennis.com/playbook/

You've already been given the link to Kurimay.  Here is some stuff from Mark Simpson:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnBY7CuLLml_yAWxhkh30Q6SSEfnktm03
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 4:48pm
You also might want to check out, if they're still in print, my two tomes on the subject "Table Tennis for Complete Idiots" (Dropschott Press, 1996) and "Simple-Ass Table Tennis" (Dropschott Press, 2007).  You might want to see if amazon.com has any of the fifteen copies I gave them left.  They should be cheap; heck, I gave most of the copies I had to bartenders who wanted to know how to beat their buddies at ping pong.

The principles espoused are very simple.

When your opponent swings down, you should swing up.

If your opponent swings up, you should swing down.

If, after a while, you get bored, do whatever you feel like doing.

There.  That's all there is to it.  If you don't become a better ping pong player by following these three simple rules I (or maybe amazon.com) will refund your money; no questions asked.
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

Any good suggested reading on this topic including how to play during various scenarios?

Table Tennis Tactics for Thinkers by Larry Hodges is an excellent book.  He also covers most of the various scenarios.

Get Your Game Face On Like The Pros by Dora Kurimay is also good.

wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 12:54pm
Any good tips for doubles play?

My buddy and I are starting to plan for doubles at the Nationals. I find doubles much more important in tactics.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 1:06pm
If one of your opponents lacks mobility, when they hit the ball return the ball back at them...be it a hit or a push.  Make them get out of their partner's way.

I see a lot of older guys playing doubles.  Unlike tennis where you don't have to take turns, doubles actually requires more mobility in tt.  Playing the ball quick off the bounce right back at a slow player works well for me in the sub 2000 events.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 4:17pm
Hah it's so true. Doubles requires lots of effort and movement.

We're working on the theory that a down the line return is better than cross court right now. Get the 3rd ball attack to be a backhand and cut down the reaction time. It seems to work pretty well at our level.

Now for our own 3rd ball attack.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2015 at 5:20pm
Concerning the "down-the-line" tactic.  What is really important is hitting the ball to the side of the table opposite from where your partner is standing.  This results in the wide-crosscourt angle return going to your partner instead of away from him.  In most situations going "down-the-line" and going "to side opposite partner" is really going to the same place.  However, sometimes they are not.  The better your partner is at getting back to the center of the angle (more towards center of table) after they step out to the side, then the less vulnerable they are to the wide cross-court.  If they are really good at getting back in position early, then you can risk more returns cross-court (to same side as partner is standing).

An example of hitting cross-court is returning serve with your Fh and your left-handed partner standing out to your right.  In that case your partner has to move less to be in position to handle any angle of return if you return cross-court.  Of course that might be to your opponent's stronger Fh.  In that case you have to decide whether the advantage of better positioning from returning cross-court is more than the advantage of hitting to the weaker Bh side. 

I try to play for position (hitting opposite side to my partner) until I think I have a good chance of hitting a winner.  If an opening comes up for a winner I hit to that opening regardless of where it might be on the table.  Also when returning down-the-line I try to vary my return location while still keeping on the down-the-line side of the table.  Sometimes going for the Bh corner, sometimes for the elbow, and sometimes almost to the middle of the table. 

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic