Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Butterfly NA and ST blades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly NA and ST blades
    Posted: 10/23/2015 at 2:53pm
http://www.tabletennismaster.com/profiles/blogs/the-shakehand-technique-topic

I encourage handle/grip explorers to check out the above link.  It really helped me to learn an effective, comfortable, and loose grip.  Notice the middle finger barely crosses the handle in both pics (Kong and Wang).
Sponsored Links

bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2015 at 2:50pm
Interesting thread.  I played uncoached TT as a kid, tennis, squash...so when it came to really learn how to play TT I experimented for years with grips and handles...   my Q - is there a correlation between hand size and preference for ST handles?  Generally speaking of course.  Do ST handles show up more in big hands?
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2015 at 12:06pm
Having held a Viscaria ST and a Boll ST, though not a ZJK ST, the old straight handles were markedly rounder and thicker than the new ones. I preferred the Viscaria handle by far. If the custom ones are old style handles, there might still be some added value.

Edited by Bran - 10/22/2015 at 3:56am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2015 at 11:38am
I am not sure how much extra secret sauce they could put in to justify a price like that either.  I am very happy with the regular ones.  Only now I want a straight handle.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2015 at 11:09am
Baal...I think the special options my friend selected were more than just weight, but overall the blade is still a Viscaria blade and he hasn't noticed that big of a difference.  I would be willing to try some of the Butterfly blades but unfortunately most of their handles are just too small for me. One of their blades I would be interested in is the Hadraw VR and SR all wood blade, but I read someone said the handle was on the small side. Disapprove
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
tonky777 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonky777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2015 at 10:16am
Yes I agree while the Korbel ST is a terrific blade, the custom Korbels are not worth the price (at least for my level of play). What your club owner says is interesting as I frequently check the Korean sites every few weeks or so and they seem to restock quite periodically (unless, as indicated earlier, they really did fill up their inventory in advance).

I had a relative who was planning on sending a package to me so I asked if they could purchase the blade for me with the specified weight and squeeze it in the box. Good thing I maintain good relations with her despite the distance haha. Paid 75,000 Korean Won which is approx. $65 - $70. While I know some of the offers on this forum is a bit high, perhaps you should invest now since the price can only go up in the future? Disapprove
Viscaria
SpinArt/Tenergy 05

Let's just enjoy the good things we get/have access to...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2015 at 9:44am
I would never pay that much for a Viscaria just for the weight, that's for sure.  Handle shape is different since they have not made that blade in ST for many years.  Probably the smarter move on my part would be to just buy a TBS ST, or ust play a little more with the ZJK-ALC ST I have.  It is actually not a bad blade, just a little deader than the Viscarias I have been used to.  But a fool and his money...
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2015 at 9:01am
A friend of mine special ordered a Viscaria that cost him about $300. He specified the weight he wanted and after about 6 months he finally received it. He's been constantly switching back and forth between his regular Viscaria and the $300 one and unfortunately he can't tell much difference. 
Rather than pay that much for a blade I'd rather order an OSP blade or maybe one of the Re-Impact blades. 
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2015 at 8:18am
Last time I spoke to a Korean club owner who is also a butterfly dealer he said he couldn't get it anymore. I'm sure shops in Korea still have it but to pay the shipping plus all the fees would be too much for the blade. Soon enough the stock will run out since I don't see it on the Japanese website. And the custom "korbel" that many Korean pros use is just too much for what it's worth.

Tonky, did you order from Korea or bought it while visiting Korea? Also how much in USD did you pay for it?

Edited by DreiZ - 10/21/2015 at 8:26am
Main:
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm

Chopper:
Stratus Power Defense 85g
FH: Hybrid K3 max
BH: Grass D.TecS 0.9mm

USATT: 1725
tonky777 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonky777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2015 at 1:19am
That screenshot is of http://www.butterfly-korea.co.kr/
Other tt equipment dealers in Korea also have the Korbel ST available so I don't think Butterfly Japan has stopped producing STs completely (Unless they stocked up for years in anticipation of course).

Viscaria
SpinArt/Tenergy 05

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2015 at 12:51am
tonky777,

What website is that?
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
tonky777 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonky777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 9:35pm
Are you sure about this? They still sell the Japanese ones in Korea (I'm not saying that makes it more accessible for us but at least the supply isn't running short anytime soon). Got a nice 89g ST myself from Korea about an year ago.

Viscaria
SpinArt/Tenergy 05

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 5:10pm
Main:

Chopper:

in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 10:52am

:)
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 3:39am
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Only the European version which I read is crap. JTTA is no longer made, and the ones that are sold here on forums are severely overpriced.

Hmm, I'm a bit on the fence whether to keep mine.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2015 at 10:53pm
Only the European version which I read is crap. JTTA is no longer made, and the ones that are sold here on forums are severely overpriced.
Main:

Chopper:

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2015 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Still wish they would bring back Korbel ST version. That blade was my favorite ST handle 5ply wood.

I believe it is still made, no?

Edited by the_theologian - 10/19/2015 at 10:41pm
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2015 at 10:13pm
Abit off topic but...

So far I've played with:
2 ST (Korbel, SSCB)
3 FL (Primorac, TB ALC, YEO)

FL did help me keep my wrist relaxed on FH shots but BH always felt unnatural due to my large hands. My solution was this:

I know some of you dislike the idea of grip tape for blade feeling and stuff but for me its the best of both worlds. I can maintain a loose grip for forehand shots and at the same time have the BH I always needed.

Still wish they would bring back Korbel ST version. That blade was my favorite ST handle 5ply wood.

Edited by DreiZ - 10/19/2015 at 10:21pm
Main:

Chopper:

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2015 at 10:06pm
As soon as they get back to me with the price, I will PM you.
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2015 at 9:52pm
Ball,

Whenever you place an order for ST Viscarias, let me know.  I might want a few LOL (I am 100% cured from EJ)
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2015 at 9:34pm
I am actually enjoying it more now that the blade I have is a little more familiar.  Of this continues I may have to have a giant clearance sale on very good Viscaria blades (and have a couple of ST Viscarias custom made).  This particular ZJK-ALC I got is not one of the best of its breed I have to say, but it is certainly good enough for me to see the potential of ST.
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2015 at 8:00pm
Baal,

Welcome to the ST handle experience.  I have been using ST handle for most of my life.  Once in awhile, I tried Viscaria FL or Clipper CR FL.  They are not bad, but I can play backhand way much better with ST.

Give it time my friend, give it time...

Good luck,
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2015 at 11:22am
It took me about 15 min to get over this strange feeling that the blade was going to fly out of my hand.  Once I did, everything opened up in interesting ways.  I hope the blade itself (outside of the handle) feels better today, though.  I am hoping it's strange feel yesterday was because I glued on rubber an hour before I played with it.  Sadly, I don't think that's it.  But today I will see.

I actually tried  ST handle once before, about 5 or 6 years ago, and I was playing SP on my BH at that time (a phase I went through for a couple of years).  At that time the ST handle (it was a TB-ALC) for some reason felt so strange that I gave up on it after about 15 minutes, and sold the blade the next day.  The grip I used playing with SP on BH was actually quite a bit different because my BH needed a much more open blade angle.

Now I use T05 on both sides, my grip and strokes are pretty orthodox and this time the ST handle is an entirely different experience.  

onehander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2015 at 10:55am
I played flared (and Jpen) for 31 years.  I never thought of changing equipment for the longest time.  Since I switched from Sriver to MX-P (with a positive experience) on my Jpen, I thought I might try a straight handle for shake hand.   So last January I tried a straight handle and wished I had tried it a lot sooner.  My grip changed, my hand was more relaxed, and my control was much improved.  
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2015 at 10:06am
I have never really noticed a difference. It always seems to be more a matter of the particular blade than the handle. I go back and forth with no problem and no conscious adjustment.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2015 at 7:06am
I have always felt personally that ST's were more maneuverable

that, and for me it always felt like the FL made me "choke up" on the grip

when I was young I shaved the flares off power drives handles

:)
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2015 at 2:44am
Well Baal, as your mantra goes "... you have to try it for yourself."

I've always felt that ST blades provide the world of freedom in my hand and I can't get along with FL handled at all...

I think I've got about 5 different grips (including serves), with the freedom and comfort of ST handle...

Welcome to the world of ST...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2015 at 1:48am
Now I know why I can't stand the Viscaria.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2015 at 9:09pm
Tried the straight ZJK-ALC today that I bought from a member here.  The blade itself was a bit slower and felt hollow and light compared to my Viscarias and my other ZJK-ALC blades and it seemed to throw quite low.  (Is that the blade or a fresh glue job?).

But the effect of using that handle was very interesting indeed.  My wrist was suddenly liberated.  I was ripping some backhands that I couldn't believe, my practice partner was just shaking his head.  Also it felt great in short game and serving.  It seems really easy to get really good control of the grip after serving and very fast transitions from FH to BH were so fluid..  I felt a bit lost at time on some forehands, not quite sure how to hold it, but I think that was as much the different feel of this particular blade as the handle.  (It really felt odd for an ALC blade and that was definitely not the handle).

I have to say, after 1 session, I liked it a lot.  Time will tell.  One thing that was interesting is that after 2 hours with the ST, I got my Viscaria out and was suddenly very conscious of this big lump in my palm that immediately made my distal forearm tense up.

This experiment will definitely continue.  

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2015 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Avallo Avallo wrote:

@baal
actually i got same experience
I love to use Tenergy 05 in 1,9mm but unfortunely there is only 2.1 in mine
i have asked many times to the agent to make an order for thinner rubbers
but they said... you can get it, only if you bought at least 1K sheet per year...
because It's the minimum order......

I dunno which is the right one...
it's Butterfly Policy or My dealer's economic reason (because most of the player in my country love to use max thickness TT__TT)

but about the policy of selling areas... i think it's good... because every country have different tax policy... and that can ruin the business in there if someone from others countries (which has cheaper tax) insult in that country

Avallo, I can see how the tax argument could apply in some places (for example, to my amazement I saw that Stiga items cost more at a store in Stockholm than they do in Houston).  Still, if I want a Stiga, Donic, Joola, Nittaku etc. etc. I can buy if from many different places.  I am not sure why only Bty operates this way.  And then the question is, if Bty is going to operate that way, why do they limit items that a local dealer can sell based on bulk?  Why force him to buy 1000 sheets?  Like I said, it's like they don't want to sell that 1.9 mm Tenergy or certain ST blades (so why even make it then).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic