Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BBC Onyx Synister

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
looneylooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote looneylooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BBC Onyx Synister
    Posted: 10/24/2015 at 2:48pm
Played for 2 hours. One of the most comfortable handles I held. No trades for now.

More pics coming soon. I'm out and about as I post this. ASKING price is 150.00 usd. 83 gms. OBO bunt don't low ball me.

As for the legality of this blade, here's my opinion; unless you're going to play an ittf sanctioned tourney then you have or might have a problem with this.blade, maybe even usatt sanctioned tourneys. But as far as playing on a tt club it's a personal choice to use this or not. Again it's a personal choice when it comes to club level playing.

Edited by looneylooper - 01/14/2016 at 7:26pm
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2015 at 4:49pm
I always thought that the carbon-outer blades are illegal... even asked Charlie about it once. Don't really remember what he said.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2015 at 1:39am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I always thought that the carbon-outer blades are illegal... even asked Charlie about it once. Don't really remember what he said.
Yes the outer plys have to be wood.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
100niTenis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 10:05am
Great looking blade. Let me know, when you are considering to trade this one, I will be interested :)
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Yes the outer plys have to be wood.

nothing in the ITTF regulations say that the outside ply has to be wood,  the term "adhesive layer within" 
is vague and is discussing the inside ply's  but the racket rule does not forbid non-wood material on the outside ply of the blade.

2.04.01 The racket may be of any size, shape or weight but the blade shall be flat and rigid. 
2.04.02 At least 85% of the blade by thickness shall be of natural wood; an adhesive layer within the blade may be reinforced with fibrous material such as carbon fibre, glass fibre or compressed paper, but shall not be thicker than 7.5% of the total thickness or 0.35mm, whichever is the smaller. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 11:01pm
Technical Bulletin T4, which is the key ITTF document that deals with this, states that the outside layer "cannot hide the wood from sight or touch", so Charlie's blade is not legal for sanctioned competitions. You have to be able to see and feel the grain.  There was a Butterfly Kreanga Tamca blade that ran afoul of this regulation, which is why they discontinued it very shortly after it was introduced.

Here is the actual text that pertains (section A, para 2):

Blade

A very thin layer of lacquer is permitted on the blade, only for the purpose of anchoring wood fibres, thereby  facilitating  replacement  of  the  racket  covering.  Anything  more  than  this  will  be  deemed  to constitute a layer of plastic, and will not be permitted. This layer may be no more than 0.1 mm thick, and should not hide the wood from sight or touch. It is considered to be part of the blade, rather than part of the thickness of the racket covering.

http://www.ittf.com/stories/pictures/T4_Racket_Coverings_forBoD42014_final.pdf

lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2015 at 12:04pm
I will share that info with Charlie as we were discussing the issue the other night.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2015 at 12:20pm

FYI, here is a picture of the Btfly Kreanga blade that turned out to be illegal by ITTF standards for same reasons. They replaced it with the Ishlion, same blade without the gray paint that obscured the grain.

As you can imagine, this caused great consternation when people shelled out a lot of money for the Kreanga blade from the most renowned manufacturer in the world only to find they couldn't use it.

Another thing worth mentioning here, is there are surprising amounts of important stuff you can't find in "ITTF Laws of Table Tennis" and you actually have to go to their various Technical Bulletins to find answers to, especially about equipment.  Or you have to go to their guides for tournament officials or match umpires. 

These kinds of things are not always as easy to find as you might like. And that's why a lot of people have been confused about the issue of the outer wood surface for last 7 years or so, and continue to be confused about ball specifications, etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote looneylooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2015 at 4:17pm
Ok, if it's safe out there bump for the folks who like their weapons undocumented.
kucharski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kucharski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2015 at 1:58am
nice looking blade there btw, what happened to charlie? is he still making blades?  
Impossible is really impossible

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote looneylooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2016 at 9:14pm
Bump.4 this who'd like u doc blades,...he's back with new hlaces!!! Wohoo maybe trade in for this one of his newoels
......of cpirse it has to be st handle
..just pm.me t details, if u want a trade with a bbc :) blade newer model...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic