FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Estimate the ratings of four TT players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Estimate the ratings of four TT players
    Posted: 11/24/2015 at 11:36am
Sharon is currently USATT rated at 2567.  Ethan wins 1 game and other game scores are close so a mid 2400 rating is not ruled out by this match.  Of course one loss is not much upon which to make a rating assessment.

Mark
Sponsored Links

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2015 at 6:09am
Here is a relevant datapoint:

http://tabletennisengland.co.uk/news/walsh-runs-top-seed-close-in-portugal/

Apparently, Ethan met Sharon Alguetti in the last 16 of the Cadet Boys’ Singles at the Portugal Junior & Cadet Open, and lost 1-3 (7-11, 12-10, 7-11, 9-11).
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2015 at 5:47pm
I'm usually interested in having an idea of the level in different countries, especially when people in this forum are mainly from the US and talk in terms of US ratings. Simon's a good excuse to get into that. Nothing wrong with your estimations Dave!
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2015 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

You know you just can't win when you guess someone's rating on this threads. I'm just going to stop trying. If I say he looks like a 2500 player, some members will say are you crazy, he's only 2250. And when I said mid 2100, then went back and watched more closely and came back to say mid 2300 I still can't win. It's really hard to guess someone's rating based on just 1 match, especially when you don't know either player. If you watched me play some 1700 player and have a close match you'd probably just estimate my rating to be around 1800 or slightly higher. Many times a player just plays down to their competitors level. It isn't until you see them play against a really strong opponent that you see their best. The point is he's a good player and probably mid 2300 or maybe even 2400 or better, but who really cares. I doubt if Simon cares. He's got a good game and I enjoyed the video so thanks for posting. Just don't hang someone if they give their opinion after watching a few minutes of some video clip. On to the next thread.

We moved on from you a long time ago - read the thread if you are that interested.  
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2015 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

You know you just can't win when you guess someone's rating on this threads. I'm just going to stop trying. If I say he looks like a 2500 player, some members will say are you crazy, he's only 2250. And when I said mid 2100, then went back and watched more closely and came back to say mid 2300 I still can't win. It's really hard to guess someone's rating based on just 1 match, especially when you don't know either player. If you watched me play some 1700 player and have a close match you'd probably just estimate my rating to be around 1800 or slightly higher. Many times a player just plays down to their competitors level. It isn't until you see them play against a really strong opponent that you see their best. The point is he's a good player and probably mid 2300 or maybe even 2400 or better, but who really cares. I doubt if Simon cares. He's got a good game and I enjoyed the video so thanks for posting. Just don't hang someone if they give their opinion after watching a few minutes of some video clip. On to the next thread.

We moved on from you a long time ago - read the thread if you are that interested.  
Cybershape Carbon
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2015 at 5:00pm
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2015 at 12:22pm
Michael Levene, who's the main reference in Ben's conversion article, is now 2200 when he was ranked 57 in the 90's at his best, on a list that probably only contained British players.

It's quite unlikely that Noutch, who's 61 in the extended list, is only a mid 2200 player. Obviously standards change, players come and go, but I think it's very unlikely.

I also had a knock with a 2300 player and felt he was within my reach (I'm about 200 in the extended list), while Noutch isn't. It's only one data point though.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2015 at 6:14am
Originally posted by Tk5 Tk5 wrote:

Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

APW46,.ghostzen, he might mean the citizens/ranking list.

What is that? oh you mean veterans !

what ever, if TK5 watches the British league clips and still thinks Simon Noutch is below 2400 when he's playing the best players in UK and is competing on level terms he loses my respect.

Judging a players level through a video is difficult no reason to get worked up. I gave my best guess. I made the estimate based on what I saw in the video, my first hand experience with a higher-ranked English player, and what I know about USATT rating levels. I really don't think he is 2400 but could be wrong. Post another video and I will reassess. 

Did you watch this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FojmLbqw8Xw
The Older I get, The better I was.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2015 at 1:06am

what ever, if TK5 watches the British league clips and still thinks Simon Noutch is below 2400 when he's playing the best players in UK and is competing on level terms he loses my respect.

The person he has in mind is #25 on this list:

http://www.etta.co.uk/etta_website/RankPages/RankingPages/SeniorMen.htm
Cybershape Carbon
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 11:33pm

Judging a players level through a video is difficult no reason to get worked up. I gave my best guess. I made the estimate based on what I saw in the video, my first hand experience with a higher-ranked English player, and what I know about USATT rating levels. I really don't think he is 2400 but could be wrong. Post another video and I will reassess. 
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 11:32pm

Correct. 

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 8:11pm

I am pretty sure he's at least in the mid-to-high 2400's.  I know a number of ex-Chinese provincial players in that range presently living in the U.S. who can more than hang with him.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

I'm surprised how high the younger player in video is number 99 in England
 he does get good angles on his backhand but seems far to vulnerable on the fringes as he has slow footwork, kind of sticks his bat out late on backhand and a 1 step to forehand movement that exposes any looping down the line
 Im not saying he isn't where he belongs by earning his ratings , just saying that a flat footed player must be good to be able to beat good movers

His defense was extremely good on my view. He will continue to get better ay reading the game and causing people problems. Not sure how fad that will get him, but he is clearly adapting at every level so far.
Cybershape Carbon
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 7:47pm

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 7:46pm
Cybershape Carbon
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 7:45pm
Ethan is number one English under 14, ranking/rating wise he's come from way down recently in the men. He beat me 11-0 in one game last season. 
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 7:34pm
I'm surprised how high the younger player in video is number 99 in England
 he does get good angles on his backhand but seems far to vulnerable on the fringes as he has slow footwork, kind of sticks his bat out late on backhand and a 1 step to forehand movement that exposes any looping down the line
 Im not saying he isn't where he belongs by earning his ratings , just saying that a flat footed player must be good to be able to beat good movers
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 6:33pm

Currently #25. I thought he was higher ranked though, so maybe he's not significantly higher than Simon. I really think Simon is in the 2250-2350 level. 

You really think Trumpuskas ( ex Lithuanian number 1) is only a USATT 2400 rating ? he beat Darius Knight in the prem British league this year Darius is world ranked around 250

Simon is playing in the British league premier division too and lost to Trumpuskas in 4. I think you are way way out on this.

Here is a round up of the first premier British league weekend this season, both Simon Noutch and Trumpy feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FojmLbqw8Xw
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 12:32pm
Trump is a good player Smile. You must be pretty handy yourself.
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 12:20pm
Currently #25. I thought he was higher ranked though, so maybe he's not significantly higher than Simon. I really think Simon is in the 2250-2350 level. 
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 12:03pm

I didn't look at rating central, I know that doesn't mean much. I've played and trained with a English player ranked significantly higher than him and he wasn't solid 2400+. I would say 2350-2400 level but not solid 2400+.
Who was that ?
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 11:44am
I didn't look at rating central, I know that doesn't mean much. I've played and trained with a English player ranked significantly higher than him and he wasn't solid 2400+. I would say 2350-2400 level but not solid 2400+.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 11:25am
yes, my bad, I should have looked at the ratings list rather than the rankings, as for Ratings central, I've always thought that is wildly inaccurate.
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 11:12am

Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

I'm not being funny but I just find it really strange that you can have guys in the Semi's or finals of the US Table Tennis Championships that are outside the top 30 and a couple of guys outside the top 50 or even lower. Why aren't the other players playing in the event?. Does the US have such a strong grass level TT now that guys like Han and Zaman who it looks like could have played internationally are only ranked at that level?.  If thats the case Kudos 100% as it can't be long till the US team with those players will be a threat.

I know the UK semi and finals are very rarely played by anyone outside the top 5 or 10.

So it goes back to Simon being 35 amongst British Citizens and the top 100 US list containing even temporary residents.  Your ratings list even if imperfect would be a more valid comparison than the rankings list as the ratings list contains the temporary immigrants.   I believe Simon is 61 on that list.

Finally, as APW46 pointed out, the players being mentioned like Xiao and Molla have been significantly higher at other points in their careers.  They are going through inactive/rusty/coaching periods.

I think Noutch's Ratings Central rating does him a bit of a disservice but I don't always know what to do with those.  That's probably where the 2250 estimate from TK5 is coming from.

Really good point NL I was just looking at the UK ratings list actually.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 11:09am
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

I'm not being funny but I just find it really strange that you can have guys in the Semi's or finals of the US Table Tennis Championships that are outside the top 30 and a couple of guys outside the top 50 or even lower. Why aren't the other players playing in the event?. Does the US have such a strong grass level TT now that guys like Han and Zaman who it looks like could have played internationally are only ranked at that level?.  If thats the case Kudos 100% as it can't be long till the US team with those players will be a threat.

I know the UK semi and finals are very rarely played by anyone outside the top 5 or 10.

So it goes back to Simon being 35 amongst British Citizens and the top 100 US list containing even temporary residents.  Your ratings list even if imperfect would be a more valid comparison than the rankings list as the ratings list contains the temporary immigrants.   I believe Simon is 61 on that list.

Finally, as APW46 pointed out, the players being mentioned like Xiao and Molla have been significantly higher at other points in their careers.  They are going through inactive/rusty/coaching periods.

I think Noutch's Ratings Central rating does him a bit of a disservice but I don't always know what to do with those.  That's probably where the 2250 estimate from TK5 is coming from.
Cybershape Carbon
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 10:57am

Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Simon Noutch is ranked 35 in England,which most certainly puts him in the USATT top 50 men. Ethan is ranked 99.

Currently the U.S. Men #50 is Zaman Molla at 2535...Han Xiao is at #79 and I will put my money on Han over Simon right now.

Put your money where you like, in my 10 years on these forums its been pretty much established that the English top 100 men is comparable to the USATT top 100 men, we do also tend to back the players we know (because we know how good they are) and underrate players we only see on clips.

I thought we have already established this. If you compare US olympic eligible players to top English players then the level is comparable (except for the fact that England has a much much stronger top 5). If you compare the USATT top 100 list that includes all players currently residing in the United States the US is substantially stronger (again minus the very top). This Simon Noutch guy ranked #35 who is probably 2250, isn't even good enough to practice with Zaman Molla or Han Xiao.

If you read through my posts, I have never mentioned Zaman Molla, he was quoted as being ranked outside the USATT top 50, and obviously chosen as a particularly strong example, seeing as he has been in the top 10 until relatively recently.
Having played Simon many times, he's a rock solid 2400+ and plays at British league Div 1 in the number 1 position.
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 10:55am

Simon Noutch is ranked 35 in England,which most certainly puts him in the USATT top 50 men. Ethan is ranked 99.

Currently the U.S. Men #50 is Zaman Molla at 2535...Han Xiao is at #79 and I will put my money on Han over Simon right now.
Put your money where you like, in my 10 years on these forums its been pretty much established that the English top 100 men is comparable to the USATT top 100 men, we do also tend to back the players we know (because we know how good they are) and underrate players we only see on clips.

I thought we have already established this. If you compare US olympic eligible players to top English players then the level is comparable (except for the fact that England has a much much stronger top 5). If you compare the USATT top 100 list that includes all players currently residing in the United States the US is substantially stronger (again minus the very top). This Simon Noutch guy ranked #35 who is probably 2250, isn't even good enough to practice with Zaman Molla or Han Xiao.

I'm not being funny but I just find it really strange that you can have guys in the Semi's or finals of the US Table Tennis Championships that are ranked outside the top 30 and a couple of guys outside the top 50 or even lower. Why aren't the other players playing in the event?. Does the US have such a strong grass level TT now that guys like Han and Zaman who it looks like could have played internationally a while back are only ranked at that level?.  If thats the case Kudos 100%.

I know the UK semi and finals are very rarely played by anyone ranked outside the top 5 or 10.

Edited by ghostzen - 11/18/2015 at 11:10am
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 10:15am

Edited by Tk5 - 11/18/2015 at 10:21am
Philior Phimellus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philior Phimellus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 6:12am
Thank you for the thorough and insightful responses!

I chose the first video because I enjoy watching matches between people from different age groups (such as those involving adults and talented kids/teenagers). I agree that the two players are unlikely to have difficulties against any competitors with a rating below 2200.

As for the second clip – the guy with the red shirt and the black shorts (Daniel Ivanov) is considered to be among the most talented young players of Bulgaria. He is actually the strongest opponent I have ever faced – it happened a few months ago at the weekly Mall Paradise tournament in Sofia that is open to both amateurs and professionals. I was of course soundly defeated (got some mercy points) and was exposed to world class table tennis for the first time. I think that Ivanov has improved even more since 2012 and his current rating would be 2500+. He intended to participate at the 2015 Asarel Open in Panagyurischte, but apparently missed out due to forgetting to register in a timely fashion. However, a guy I recently had a chat with (one of the best amateur players in Sofia) believes that Ivanov would not have been a match for fellow Bulgarian Kiril Popov who reached the ¼ finals at that tournament.

P.D.

Edited by Philior Phimellus - 11/18/2015 at 6:12am
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2015 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

quoting 'who would beat who' is silly, all players have a spectrum of wins /losses, they beat players higher and lose to players lower, if Simon is ranked 35, it means he is currently beating players ranked higher.

I have not entered into this who would beat who scenario its pointless unless they are going to play each other. 
All I am saying is that USATT ratings and English ratings  are comparable to the top 100 men.  Ratings are not an exact science. 

NO!!!

Who beats who is important to establish someones level. Ive beaten Melket Nilsson, who have beaten Truls Möregårdh, who have beaten Anton Källberg, so Im clearly better then Anton, especially since I dont hide my serves.

Unfortunately, I cant watch the video of the players here, but it is my understanding the most Usatt members tend to rate players a tad lower then their actuall rating. On the other hand, non Usatt members like myself, might rank them to high.

OMG, Speedplay, my old advesary and friend! how are you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic