Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tabletennis11.com testing opportunity - CLOSED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2016 at 1:48pm
In my opinion, the P1 is faster, spinnier, more controllable and has more gears than the Quantum. Also, it does not bottom out as easily. The P1 does have a slightly lower throw angle. 
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
Sponsored Links

ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2016 at 10:51pm
Review: Victas V>15 Extra
http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/victas-v-15-extra

Initial Impressions: This rubber has some kick! Looping is nice and fast. The rubber feels just a bit firmer than T05 and the throw angle seems like it’s a little lower. The ball really jumps off the paddle, but once I got the timing down, my loops were fast, spinny, and difficult for my opponent to handle. Hitting and smashing were both good. Again, the low throw angle required some adjustment compared to T05, so at first I was hitting some balls into the net. It didn’t take long for me to begin smashing winners. Blocking at the table is nice because it doesn’t require an active stroke and the ball is quick and low over the net. Away from the table fishing type shots require a bit more touch/precision and swing power to assure the ball gets over the net and is not easily killed. Touch shots and short game play was just ok with this rubber. It seemed to have a similar sensitivity to spin as T05, but I found it more difficult to get the right racket angle and not pop the ball up or dump it in net. I guess the ‘feel’ isn’t quite as good in the short game.

Grades:
Looping: A
Smashing/Driving/Hitting: A-
Blocking/Fishing: B
Touch Play: B-

Conclusion: This rubber offers a nice alternative to T05. I think the main difference is the lower throw angle and the consequences it has on different types of strokes. If you prefer a low throw angle, then this rubber is an easy choice. I still prefer the feel of T05...but this rubber is very good.

Grading Explanation: I’m using an arbitrary letter system to grade these test rubbers. The grades are all subjective to my preferences and playing style. The rubber was only tested on my FH. So, if you have a similar style to mine, hopefully this will be helpful.

Reviewer Playing Style: I play a modern defense style. I currently use BTY Feint Long 3 1.3 as my BH rubber,  and BTY T05 max as my FH rubber. I like to chop from mid and long distance with my BH, and chop-block close to the table. My FH is mostly used for close to the table smashes, blocks, and loop kills. Away from the table, I like to counter-loop and hit fishing shots. My current USATT rating is around 1750. The blade I used for this review was Donic Defplay Senso FL.

Edited by ndotson - 01/07/2016 at 10:59pm
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
JohnTrev View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnTrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2016 at 1:08pm
Review: Victas V>15 Extra

In looking for an alternative (better value = higher performance to cost ratio) to the expensive Tenergy 05 on both my forehand and backhand, I would have to say that the Victas V>15 Extra is a definite contender.  Forehand looping was a guilty pleasure, as the ball seemed to jump off the racquet with all the spin that I was used to with T05, but with perhaps 10% more speed as well.  With a slight added hardness/speed above the T05 that I am so very familiar with, I still did not sense any loss of touch when looping with full spin (although without that satisfying “click” that the Tenergy provides).  Similarly, forehand drives/counterdrives gave a solid feel, again with a little more speed than my T05, which I saw as benefit (although it would take more than the 1 hours evaluation period to adjust and stop myself from driving the ball 6” off the end of the table…).

Backhand top-spinning produced the same feel and results as on the forehand, with a sense of just a bit more speed/hardness than I’m initially comfortable with, but with good touch and zippy speed on both counter-drives and loops that I found myself wanting to spend more time to grow into, because I very much enjoyed playing with this rubber.

The serve/receive/touch game is the one area where I am concerned, vs. my comfort level and experience with the T05.  It felt to me that my full-spin, full-speed, full-contact serves had all the same spin as the Tenergy.  But the light-touch, “flick-one-way-and-then-the-other” deceptive serves did not seem to have the same level of spin that I was used to from the T05.  When receiving, I was very pleased that any topspin returns on my part (loop, flick, roll) seemed to be much less sensitive to the opponents spin than the sink-in, grab-hard, and-jump-off Tenergy, and so giving me good control, and the confidence to stay aggressive with service returns.  Just the opposite was true with the back/sidespin touch-returns and/or short pushing game, where the hardness and insensitivity of this rubber gave me much less a sense of feel than my usual Tenergy touch, making me more tentative, and repeatedly surprised by some unexpected results (some too dead/low, some too fast/long..).  I assume this is a characteristic of the harder feel that I would have to adjust to over some period of time.

Overall, I am very impressed, and will definitely buy a sheet of this rubber to fully evaluate for several months of play, at least for my forehand side.

Reviewer Playing Style:  I am a right-handed allround player with a ~1900 USATT rating, using what I consider to be an ALL+ Tibhar Red Cyprus blade (soft feel, great touch and control, but low/medium speed).  I have used Tenergy O5 2.1mm on both my forehand and backhand for the last 3 years.  I consider my style of play a controlled spinner, in-and-out from the table, in that I’m happy to stay at the table to push & block with varying spins and placement at the table if I can get away with it competitively, but even happier to step away and attack/counter with medium-slow-and-very-spinny loops off either side.  I only played “competitively” for 3 years of intensive practice from 1973-1976, with a rating of about 2000.  Since that time, I play few or no tournaments at all, content to help others learn.  To improve my level and range as a practice partner for our club’s rapidly improving players, I feel that I need to add more speed to my counter/attacking shots, without adding blade weight – and abhor the lack of feeling/touch in carbon blades, so I must constantly look to improvements in rubber sheets to counteract some inexplicable slowing of my body after age 60…and so very excited to participate in this multi-brand evaluation arranged by Patrick J Hrdlicka ).

JohnTrev
JohnTrev View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnTrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2016 at 1:19pm
Review: Nittaku Alhelg

Everything I tried with this rubber, whether counter-drive, loop, or soft-touch pushing/serving, felt absolutely comfortable and solid, like a sheet of one of the higher-end rubbers that is well-past its’ break-in period and nearing the end of its lifetime, but never with any “zip” to either the speed or spin imparted. To me, this rubber was excellent for a mid-range, developing all-round player, say with a rating of 1300-1700, but still working to develop power and consistency.  It may also fit the game of a blocker and pick-hitter, but didn’t feel right for my “spin-‘em-off-the-table” approach.  Also, I must add, while definitely a softer feel to me than T05, I personally didn’t feel the “mushy, bland, and bottoming- out” sensation like Patrick Hrdlicka described in his review, but that can easily be explained in one of several ways – first, I use a much softer blade (Tibhar Red Cyprus), and so the rubber-to-blade transition as the ball sinks in during the shot will not be as pronounced.  Secondly, I rarely all-out flat hit forehand kills any more,  preferring instead to spin the ball in, and so my stroke speed and particularly the horizontal forward-driving racquet speed will always be much lower than Patrick’s (comments that I hope helps a reader understand and judge the suitability of this rubber for their particular style of play).   A very good all-round rubber, but with no “pop” to up the excitement level.

Reviewer Playing Style:  I am a right-handed allround player with a ~1900 USATT rating, using what I consider to be an ALL+ Tibhar Red Cyprus blade (soft feel, great touch and control, but low/medium speed).  I have used Tenergy O5 2.1mm on both my forehand and backhand for the last 3 years.  I consider my style of play a controlled spinner, in-and-out from the table, in that I’m happy to stay at the table to push & block with varying spins and placement at the table if I can get away with it competitively, but even happier to step away and attack/counter with medium-slow-and-very-spinny loops off either side.  I only played “competitively” for 3 years of intensive practice from 1973-1976, with a rating of about 2000.  Since that time, I play few or no tournaments at all, content to help others learn. 

JohnTrev
JohnTrev View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnTrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2016 at 1:25pm
Review: Gewo Nanoflex

Hitting forehands to begin with, I was initially disappointed that this rubber felt decidedly slower and less spinny than the T05 that I’m used to, and the recently evaluated Victas V>15 as well.  The surface/sponge combination felt a little harder than what I’ve become used to, and I didn’t get a good “sink in and then spring-back” feeling or sound like the T05.  But when I transitioned to forehand loops against long-pips chopping (i.e., lots of backspin), then I felt -- at least intermittently --  a few good shots, mixed in with shots that matched my initial impression – good control, but 10% to 20% below top-end expectations on speed and/or spin. 

However, my evaluation changed completely when I changed over to counter-driving and looping off my backhand side.  With this same rubber, on the same blade, in the same session, suddenly the ball seemed quite “alive” as I had a good sense of touch and control, with loop-drive speed that seemed to match or exceed that of T05 and Victas, with comparable spin, and better control.  After switching back and forth between backhands and forehands to confirm my first impressions, I have concluded that the difference is in my strokes, forehand vs. backhand (of course, this had to be true, with no change in rubber/blade – but why?).  The answer, I feel, is that this rubber/sponge/hardness/throw-angle/pips configuration is definitely more sensitive to blade and/or stroke angle, and my 1970’s-style spinning forehand is definitely more vertical (less forward-moving) than the modern approach, and also much less horizontal & forward-moving than my backhand loop stroke.  That means I would consider this an excellent fit on my backhand side for counter-driving and looping, but I would definitely need to re-tool my forehand to be able to take advantage of its capabilities, some “new tricks” which this “old dog” may not undertake.  That said, it has never occurred to me before to use the rubber itself as a training tool, but if I’m right about the sensitivity of this rubber to stroke angle, it would provide a great “instant feedback” tool on whether or not you’ve aligned your strokes correctly and consistently (more forward-driving than mine…).

Finally, pushing and/or serving felt different off the fairly hard surface, but not different enough from other rubbers to discourage me from buying a sheet and trying it full time.  In fact, I think it may be a simple tradeoff between less spin on my serves and pushes due to the extra hardness, but at the same time, more consistency in returning the opponent’s super-spinny serves, because I don’t get the “grab hard and shoot off” response like do with the Tenergy, when bat angle and racquet speed aren’t perfectly judged.

Reviewer Playing Style:  I am a right-handed allround player with a ~1900 USATT rating, using what I consider to be an ALL+ Tibhar Red Cyprus blade (soft feel, great touch and control, but low/medium speed).  I have used Tenergy O5 2.1mm on both my forehand and backhand for the last 3 years.  I consider my style of play a controlled spinner, in-and-out from the table, in that I’m happy to stay at the table to push & block with varying spins and placement at the table if I can get away with it competitively, but even happier to step away and attack/counter with medium-slow-and-very-spinny loops off either side.  I only played “competitively” for 3 years of intensive practice from 1973-1976, with a rating of about 2000.  Since that time, I play few or no sanctioned tournaments at all, content to help others learn. 

JohnTrev
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2016 at 4:02pm
Review: Nittaku Alhelg
http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/nittaku-alhelg

Initial Impressions: Very consistent in all areas. This rubber is not glamorous in terms of speed or spin, but the control is really great. When looping, I was able to easily place the ball on target. The speed and spin of the loops weren’t anything special, but they had a consistent “get the job done” type of feeling. Driving and hitting the ball again had very nice control and good enough speed to hit winners especially when smashing the ball. Blocking is where this rubber really shined for me. I was able to block heavy loops low and short over the net consistently. With the exceptional control, I could place my blocks well and make it difficult for my opponent to be in good position for another loop or attack. Very effective! Touch play was good in the sense that I could place the ball well and keep pushes short, but I couldn’t get as much spin as usual, so some of my touch shots were a little too easy to attack.

Grades:
Looping: B
Smashing/Driving /Hitting: B+
Blocking/Fishing: A
Touch Play: B

Conclusion: This rubber is very good for a pushblocker style player who likes to cover the table primarly with their BH LPs and use their FH to hit and smash winners. Also, the exceptional blocking and overall control makes for an easy transition if you are a combo racket player who likes to twiddle. Overall, it’s a nice rubber for a modern defender.

Grading Explanation: I’m using an arbitrary letter system to grade these test rubbers. The grades are all subjective to my preferences and playing style. The rubber was only tested on my FH. So, if you have a similar style to mine, hopefully this will be helpful.

Reviewer Playing Style: I play a modern defense style. I currently use BTY Feint Long 3 1.3 as my BH rubber,  and BTY T05 max as my FH rubber. I like to chop from mid and long distance with my BH, and chop-block close to the table. My FH is mostly used for close to the table smashes, blocks, and loop kills. Away from the table, I like to counter-loop and hit fishing shots. My current USATT rating is around 1750. The blade I used for this review was Donic Defplay Senso FL.

Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2016 at 11:31am
Review: Donic Acuda Blue P1

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/donic-acuda-blue-p1

Initial Impressions: I tested this rubber alongside the Nittaku Alhelg, and I must say the P1 does almost everything slightly better except for perhaps blocking. Looping was very comfortable. Fast and spinny loops landed with excellent control superior to Alhelg. Compared to T05, looping with P1 seemed just a bit faster likely due to the lower arch, and spin seemed slightly less than T05 but only by a small margin. Hitting and counter-driving was a breeze. Nice sound! The rubber excels in this area as I was able to hit and drive through very spinny incoming loops with little trouble. Blocking was also very nice as the lower throw angle kept my block returns fast and low over the net with good control. I also found fishing shots away from the table to be a lot of fun with this rubber. In touch play, I had no problems receiving incoming spin. The ball didn’t pop up quite as much as it sometimes does using T05. I could control my pushes just fine, but the spin level was again a bit less than T05 when pushing aggressively.

Grades:
Looping: A-
Smashing/Driving/Hitting: A
Blocking: A-
Touch Play: B+

Conclusions: A great all-around rubber. I definitely would at some point purchase a sheet and try it out more long term. I concur with the other reviewers that the ease-of-play makes this rubber a lot of fun to use.

Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2016 at 11:32am
Review: Victas V>15 Extra and Gewo Nanoflex

Before I start let me make a few notes; i won't be too long anyway.
It looks like I was the 5th person to glue these rubbers. That is significant glue accumulation. I did not want to rub off old glue as that is extremely unpleasant, time consuming, and you can damage the sponge. So I just put one more thin layer and glued them. I don't know what the effect of glue accumulation is: if the glue is elastic, it can make them faster, if glue is not, will make them slower. Then everyone before me probably used different glue. So I am not gona tell you how to interpret this, but just to take it into account. 
Also, I think these long reviews that sound like essays not only don't give good description of the rubber, but reduce the credibility of the review. Rubbers have some basic properties, and if you know those properties you can tell what the rubber will be good for. Reminds me of reading reviews for high end speakers on audiophille.com. The guys was talking how he could hear the leaves moving and people breathing and all that kind of garbage. Liar. Just tell me if it has a flat response curve. 
OK, Victas first.
Speed: Slow on low and medium power shots and normal on high power shots. I had Rhyzm on the other side of the blade, and I don't know if it was the glue, but unless you swing pretty good the rubber is notably slower than Rhyzm (Rhyzm has the same speed as Bluefire, Evolution and all of those). However when the rally opens up and you start countering the rubber does not feel slow at all and is almost indistinguishable from my beloved Rhyzm.
Hardness: identical to Rhyzm, which for me is good normal hardness of the sponge. 
Topsheet: looks and feel very smooth. Similar to Rhyzm again. I had concerns that it would slip, but it does not. Smooth and nonslip is the best thing for control imo. 
Throw: medium to medium high - same like Rhyzm again.
Feel: very direct, intuitive, not catapulty.
Summary: This rubber is almost identical clone to Rhyzm. I am inclined to attribute the soft shots speed difference to the glue build up, and without that it is hard to tell which rubber is on which side of the blade. To repeat my opinion of Rhyzm for the 100th time, this rubber is definitely not the spiniest and not the fastest either, and if your strategy is to overwhelm opponent with spin or speed this is not for you. The rubber however has this incredible intuitive throw that everybody seems to know how to play it even when they try it for the first time. Control is one of the best ever made, if not the best, and spin and power actually become quite high on the high power shots. So I would recommend this rubber for people with Waldner kind of style of play - direct, control, and rally instead of kill. Given the good price you can get for this rubber with bulk buy from tt11, i would highly recommend this rubber for play described above.
Now, GEWO Nanoflex.
Will go shorter here. Again, slow on soft shots, significantly slower that Rhyzm (on the other side). Again, it was probably the glue. However this rubber remained notably slower than Rhyzm on loops and counterloops too. The sponge feels HARDER than Rhyzm, and I actually liked that! Topsheet is not smooth, looks and feels really grippy. To tell how how different from Victas, when victas got dust in the club, i would wipe it off my shirt, and it would just glide smoothly on my shirt. Nanofles would BITE my shirt like VELCRO : ). It won't let go : ). This rubber will retain grip even very old in my opinion. The THROW on this rubber is weird. I don't understand WHY a grippy topsheet with hard sponge produce LOW throw. Actually the throw and feel of this rubber is very similar to Rhyzm P, but much slower. However this is not a good thing for me, because Rhyzm P has nothing to do with Rhyzm, it feels very different, and should have had a different name. They just tried to milk the successful Rhyzm predecessor. Anyway, this throw I couldn't figure how to loop hard. You can't brush hard like with Rhyzm. You can't hit hard and flat like with H3. I couldn't make a stroke where I could just let go and it would go on the table. The only way for me to loop consistently was to use medium power brush strokes. The rubber is just INCREDIBLE over the table though. One of the few rubbers that I have ever tried that have better touch than Rhyzm. Because the topsheet is so grippy and the sponge so hard, you have incredibly direct feel and control in short serve receive to FH - area where I normally struggle because i can't loop there and it requires touch. THat is because the sponge throw is not involved for those shots.
Summary: I don't know what kind of play that rubber would fit. I have no confidence in recommending it to anyone. Weird thing is, it is not a bad rubber, and is very consistent what it is doing. I just don't know what style of play can use that because it would be out of my world of experience. 
My current rating is 1750. My style is two side looping. The point of playing the sport for me is getting into a counterlooping rally and winning it. I dislike chopping and short game and push long on purpose so my opponent would open and i can counter and we get on with the rally.

Edited by Victor_the_cleaner - 01/23/2016 at 11:57am
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2016 at 11:45am
Thank you for the reviews VtC. I imagine that MyTT members interested in these rubbers, not only appreciate different opinions, but also different review styles, including 'audiophile.com' ones. Please amend your review with a brief description of your playing style and rating as outlined in the guidelines.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 01/23/2016 at 12:11pm

Feedback
AndyCouchman View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyCouchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2016 at 3:40pm
Hi
Any chance of extending this test to the UK?
Andy
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2016 at 3:47pm
Review: Stiga Airoc Astro M
http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/stiga-airoc-astro-m

I finally got to play in the club with the rubber. I had Rhyzm on the other side, as always, for comparison. 
My current rating is ~1750 and I loop both sides and rarely block or chop. 

Speed: as with my two previous reviews, i have to bring your attention to the fact that the rubber had been glued several times before I got it, so significant glue may be accumulated, though it looked really clean. However it is slower than Rhyzm when I tested it. not much, but at the same time easy to notice. 
Grip. The most important characteristic of this rubber for me. This rubber WILL NOT SLIP, even with the oldest ball. It is hard to overstate the how grippy it is. I happened to have a brand new Rhyzm because of tournament that I just played, and Rhyzm doesn't have even half of the grip of this Airoc. It looks like sandpaper, and not even fine grit, but like 300 or something like that. 
Several reviewers mentioned that it is softer than regular hardness, and I hate soft rubbers, but I did not find this sponge to be soft. It was tight and strong and very pleasant, with very good sink/dwell. Perhaps just a little softer than Rhyzm, but definitely not too soft for powerful game. 
Topsheet is very hard, thank god, because grippy and soft = bad bad control. But this rubber is not sensitive to incoming spin DESPITE being grippy. That's a big thumbs up in my book. 
Throw. I still don't understand how throw is generated, though i know its something to do not just with the sponge, but the shape and size of pips. This rubber throws actually quite similar to Rhyzm, if it weren't for the extra grip. But that extra grip changes things. It creates a strong BITE- feel in strokes of med or higher power, and lifts the ball during loop contact more than I am used to. I have a feeling that people who like H3 will like that, but I couldn't get used to that much grip on FH. On BH i just LOVED it for openings.
Conclusion. In my opinion this is a successful rubber that can stick around, especially due to the fact that it can be purchased at a great price from tt11. However it is not for everybody. If you like the direct feel of Rhyzm you probably wont like this rubber. At the end of the day control is less than Rhyzm, and people only use Rhyzm for the control, not for the spin. 
However if you have brushy strokes, like winning points with spin instead of power or control, you will love this rubber. It give you incredible confidence during strokes where you have very thin contact with the ball. You just feel it won't slip and you are not afraid to go really thin. 
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2016 at 10:35am
Victas V>15 extra and Gewo Nanoflex 

Both rubbers had considerable glue on as Victor said.  So I glued the blade and just used what was already accumulated on the rubbers.  This may have affected play, but I didn't want to try to peel the glue off sponge that didn't belong to me.  

I tested them on a one-ply western red cedar 9mm blade, with a robot, drilling with a partner, and playing a few club matches.  I'm a 1700 who plays topspin close to the table.  I have used different tenergies for the last three years, mainly T05, and some 05 fx,  80 and now for a few months 80fx both sides.  Like everyone else I would rather pay $45 a sheet that $75, that is the only reason I am testing any other rubber.  I previously tried the Evo MX-P and EL-P and hated them, but not giving up yet.

Gewo Nanoflex -- Maybe the glue job was bad, although it looked fine, but I did not like this rubber at all.  It felt dead and lacking power.  It also was not as spinny on serves or brush shots as either my T80fx or the Victas.  One thing it was good at was in a short-short pushing drill, very low and controlled placements.  But at 1700 that's a minimal part of play.  I couldn't get a good feel for a consistent loop swing with it on either side, and in short hated it. 

Victas V>15 extra -- Same glue procedure, same everything, but this rubber felt completely different from the Gewo.  Serves were quite spinny, comparable to my T80fx, but easier to keep low and short.  Looping required a stroke adjustment but wasn't hard to change at all.  Partners reported marginally less spin on loops with increased speed. What I noticed was a great feeling of control.  I can't quantify it but the ball seemed to land where I aimed the bat, with better depth control as well as directional.  This helped a lot on receives, which is a weak area.  It felt less bouncy than any of the tenergies I have used, and also less sensitive to incoming spin.  

This is a real possibility as a tenergy replacement for me. I ordered a sheet of the V>15 limber from tt-japan because I do normally like softer sponge.  I want to give the V>15 a longer playtest and find out if the durability is good enough to actually save any money versus tenergy.    
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2016 at 1:06pm
Thank you for the review BRS !!!

Feedback
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2016 at 4:39pm
Review: Tibhar Nimbus Delta V
http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/tibhar-nimbus-delta-v

This is my last review on this thread, and I was honestly a bit skeptical of this rubber as it didn’t exactly receive a glowing review from the OP. I was, however, pleasantly surprised by the Tibhar Nimbus and found it to be possibly the most fun rubber of the bunch. Having said that, it may not be the rubber that will win me the most points, but I found it extremely enjoyable. The main reason is due to the high throw/catapult. I typically use T05 which has a pretty high throw angle. The Nimbus’ throw is equal to or higher than T05. This allowed for many possible shots away from the table which is where I like to play. Looping was great from medium and far distances. The catapult effect did make close to the table looping more difficult to control and my strokes needed to be more vertical to avoid going long off the end. I found lifting/looping underspin to be just as easy when compared to T05. Hitting and counter-driving was basically the same story…pretty good from distance but harder to control the closer I got to the table. Fishing shots away from the table were great due to the high arch and catapult effect…very effortless. Touch shots and short game are fine but didn’t seem like this rubber’s strength as not a ton of spin was generated. It’s not particularly sensitive to incoming spin.

Grades:
Looping: B+
Smashing/Driving/Hitting: B+
Blocking/Fishing: A-
Touch Play: B

Conclusion: Can be a fun rubber for those who like to play away from the table. It may be a suitable T05 alternative if you prefer softer rubbers. Loopers who play a more controlled, high-arching, slow looping game may also enjoy this rubber.

Reviewer Playing Style: I play a modern defense style. I currently use BTY Feint Long 3 1.3 as my BH rubber, and BTY T05 max as my FH rubber. I like to chop from mid and long distance with my BH, and chop-block close to the table. My FH is mostly used for close to the table smashes, blocks, and loop kills. Away from the table, I like to counter-loop and hit fishing shots. My current USATT rating is around 1750. The blade I used for this review was Donic Defplay Senso FL.

Edited by ndotson - 02/24/2016 at 1:49am
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2016 at 12:22am
Rubber: V>15 Extra
Blade for testing: Tibhar stratus power wood
Player: Two winged looper, usatt rating 1949

This is a very bouncy rubber, and has more speed than spin with a medium highish throw.

Counters: The rubber is pretty easy to play forehand and backhand counters, you don't need to put a lot of effort and tapping the ball was enough to send it across.

Blocking: Again very easy to do passive blocks, no need of an active stroke while blocking, also seemed to not react as much to incoming spin while blocking heavy loops.

Pushing: Was able to generate decent backspin on my pushes, also was able to keep pushes short, despite being bouncy on counters this rubber did not give me any trouble with keeping the pushes close to the net.

Serves: Got really good amount on spin on the serves, got a lot of free points today during the games with some un-returnable serves.

Forehand Drive Loop: Really good while driving the ball at low and medium speeds, but if i went over a certain speed, the rubber would not generate any spin and would just shootout the ball like a canon (i got my partner in the head with one of the fast drives)

Forehand Brush Loop: Decent, but this is where i did not like it as much as my current forehand rubber, the Evolution MX-P. It might be the smooth topsheet + bouncy sponge combination that results in it not being as grabby

Conclusion: This is a very easy to use rubber, and as someone above mentioned it does remind me of joola rhyzm, i would like to use this as my backhand rubber as i do not brush loop so much on that side.

Thanks tabletennis11.com for this testing opportunity.

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2016 at 12:24am
Very nice review !!!

Feedback
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2016 at 11:56am
Donic acuda BP1

I am a 1700 looper with a very plain vanilla game. Test was on a 9mm western red cedar one-ply with T80fx on the reverse. T80fx is my normal rubber so used it as basis for comparison.  

I agree with previous reviews about the ease of hitting and blocking with the BP1.  Control was great with accurate placement and good pace. Looping vs block was also very easy and controllable.  Unlike other (higher-rated) reviewers, I had trouble looping heavy backspin with this rubber. Probably I am too dependent on the tenergy topsheet to do all the work.  There was also less spin on serves than with t80fx.  I am sure adjustments could be made with a moderate learning curve, and the BP1 did seem very consistent and predictable, but those are two big weaknesses to have to make up with strengths in other areas.

And BP1 didn't feel awesome in any one particular thing, just very competent overall.  This rubber may appeal to anyone who uses another ESN product, but I don't think it will attract many who are looking for a tenergy replacement.  
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2016 at 9:49pm
This review is from Daniel, a skilled freshman at our university club. Enjoy!

Stiga Airoc Astro M Review

Setup:

I have the Airoc M glued onto the forehand of my Butterfly Supreme Speed blade, and Acuda S3 on the backhand. As its name implies, the blade is fast, with 3 ply wood and 2 ply arylate carbon. The paddle head is also thicker than normal blades which gives it a slightly head-heavy feel.

Playing Style:

I play with a modern close to table, mid-distance looping style. I like to go for speed rather than spin when given the opportunity. 

Overall Feel:

My initial impression with the rubber is that it is fast. It is faster than a lot of the rubbers I play with regularly which includes Hexer Powersponge, Bluefire JP03, Tenergy 80fx; I would even say that it is a little bit faster than Tenergy 05. The speed of this rubber becomes more evident as you move away from the table and start doing loops, but as a result, even though with the high amount of spin that I was able to generate, the arc was low, giving less margin for error. Another characteristic I noticed is that the rubber feels very dense. There is a loud sound when hitting from mid-distance, and the rubber had a decent dwell time, allowing for pretty decent spin generation.

Control:

I feel like this is where the rubber shines. The top sheet is very grippy and very sensitive to spin, allowing me to make short pushes that had a lot of spin. When flicking from the forehand, it feels very easy to generate spin and speed, I even felt that it was easier to do more of a flat hit stroke, as the speed of the rubber can often overcome the spin of the ball. From right out the table, I was able to do a small loop with minimal motion, and still generate a lot of speed. I think players who likes to sometimes hit more rather than spin more at mid distance, or likes to rip through back spin shots with a lot of speed will find this rubber very powerful. 

Blocking

As Ive mentioned before, the top sheet is quite tacky, so it is not very forgiving when receiving shots. But once adjusted, the blocks can be very spinny. Ive always had trouble with softer rubbers when blocking because it creates a shorter than ideal trajectory, but when blocking with Airoc, i was able to block long, and with a lot of speed. However, I personally do not recommend using Airoc as a backhand rubber unless one has the ability to vary precisely the amount of hit and spin when using backhand strokes. The hardness of the rubber makes it less forgiving when doing backhand flicks as I often find myself hitting the ball into the net before I was able to get more spin off the ball. Having said that, with very good control, the balls that do go over has a very low arc and fast speed. 

Looping:

Looping mid-distance from the table using Airoc M is very easy. I personally like to sometimes sacrifice spin for speed when looping mid-distance, but with Airoc M, I find that I could generate the same amount of spin but faster balls than when Im playing with Hexer rubbers. However, looping from slightly farther away, when the ball is descending, it is hard to spin it back on the table. The maximum amount of spin can be generated when you really hit the ball through the sponge, but as a result, the ball also travels faster, and creates a lower arc. So when I was trying to the do more of a brushing stroke to get the ball on the table, I often find that either I couldnt generate enough spin, or I would hit the ball too far. I find this rubber to be best at around mid-distance and when hitting the ball the peak of the bounce, which gives you the option of making a hard, fast shot and completely overcoming the spin, or a spinny, yet still quite fast shot, with a very low arc. 

In conclusion, I highly recommend this rubber to players who really likes to do powerful, fast shots at mid-distance, and yet maintaining control in the close game. Airoc is spinny, but I think its more prominent characteristic is its speed. It is sometimes ridiculously easy to overcome the spin of the ball with sheer speed given enough height. On the downside, it is less forgiving when doing brushing strokes, but when hit through the sponge, gives tremendous spin and speed. 

Edited by Argothman - 03/06/2016 at 9:49pm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2016 at 11:31pm
Thank you for your review !!

Feedback
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2016 at 2:29pm
I have tested the Victas V15 Extra as well as the Limber. To tell the truth, with celluloid balls. However, I am convinced that my findings hold with plastic balls too.

Although they are good rubbers I have the feeling that Victas still did not invest in buying the latest tensors from ESN. The V15 Extra has a hard sponge but the topsheet is too mushy and it was not as effective as MXP in my test with celluloid balls. I am afraid that V15 does not give enough power to hit through the opponent. It has a distinct smell of tuner just as other ESN products do and its performance goes down after about a month.

The Limber is very soft indeed it does not hurt to play against. It is dofter and less direct than Tibhar's FXP. I repeat, these two are good rubbers but fans of really offensive rubbers should look into Tibhar MXP or the Xiom Omega V line, especially the Pro version.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2016 at 4:00pm
I would love to try out the Xiom Omega V line. The only Xiom rubber that I have, briefly, tried is the Sigma II Europe, which in my opinion is quite similar to the Rasant Grip. Perhaps the next forum test?

Feedback
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2016 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

I have tested the Victas V15 Extra as well as the Limber. To tell the truth, with celluloid balls. However, I am convinced that my findings hold with plastic balls too.

Although they are good rubbers I have the feeling that Victas still did not invest in buying the latest tensors from ESN. The V15 Extra has a hard sponge but the topsheet is too mushy and it was not as effective as MXP in my test with celluloid balls. I am afraid that V15 does not give enough power to hit through the opponent. It has a distinct smell of tuner just as other ESN products do and its performance goes down after about a month.

The Limber is very soft indeed it does not hurt to play against. It is dofter and less direct than Tibhar's FXP. I repeat, these two are good rubbers but fans of really offensive rubbers should look into Tibhar MXP or the Xiom Omega V line, especially the Pro version.

I have to say that the ball selection goes a long way for me when getting a read on rubbers these days.  And not just cell/plastic (although that's the widest range), but the type of plastic ball too.  I really like V>15 and you're right about the topsheet feel, but with cell you get the feeling that the ball is just bouncing off a flat tyre.  And not just with V>15, but with a lot of recent ESN rubbers with mega-soft topsheets (and V>15 is nowhere near as soft as Acuda Blue, Rasant Beat, Vega Europe DF).  Whereas I feel there's a lot of meat behind V>15 with XSF, for example.

I just try to avoid cell totally now to reduce confusion.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2016 at 4:46pm
+1

Speaking as a scientist, it is very important only change one variable at a time when testing equipment, as it otherwise may lead to conflicting impressions (the variables being blade, rubber, ball, glue, and even table, opponents, and floor type) - rubbers 'feel' very differently whether one uses the XSF 3* 40+, Kinson's 1* 40+ or old type cell. 

Feedback
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2016 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

I have to say that the ball selection goes a long way for me when getting a read on rubbers these days.  And not just cell/plastic (although that's the widest range), but the type of plastic ball too.  I really like V>15 and you're right about the topsheet feel, but with cell you get the feeling that the ball is just bouncing off a flat tyre.  And not just with V>15, but with a lot of recent ESN rubbers with mega-soft topsheets (and V>15 is nowhere near as soft as Acuda Blue, Rasant Beat, Vega Europe DF).  Whereas I feel there's a lot of meat behind V>15 with XSF, for example.

I just try to avoid cell totally now to reduce confusion.
I notice this with Rakza X also - I get a better "click" when hitting the sweet spot with Joola Flash, compared to a cell Butterfly 3*.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2016 at 7:03am
Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

+1

Speaking as a scientist, it is very important only change one variable at a time when testing equipment, as it otherwise may lead to conflicting impressions (the variables being blade, rubber, ball, glue, and even table, opponents, and floor type) - rubbers 'feel' very differently whether one uses the XSF 3* 40+, Kinson's 1* 40+ or old type cell. 

Very very very true.  And you probably should also play several times before being sure.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2016 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Very very very true.  And you probably should also play several times before being sure.

Agreed. Also, there is a big difference between using a rubber in practice and in a match setting where most of us tighten up more.

I view the forum tests as 'appetizers' that give you an opportunity to narrow down the field of interesting rubbers. True evaluations are more long term.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 03/15/2016 at 2:01pm

Feedback
JohnTrev View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnTrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2016 at 4:33am

Review: Tibhar Quantum

This rubber felt completely mis-matched and awkward for my game almost throughout the 2-hour trial period.  I always start with forehand counters, loops, and counter-loops, and the slow response and lack of spin was completely unsatisfying, especially considering that I use a slow blade (All+) and am looking for the rubber to give me a little extra punch of speed, when called for.  I was initially also disappointed by the apparent inconsistency of the catapult effect, as this was supposed to be a strong suit of this rubber – but I would alternate between very jumpy loop-drives that sailed a foot long, then the next one that seemed to fall dead into the net, with no apparent jumpiness/catapult at all (more on this in a minute).  This rubber did seem to have a surface tackiness that exceeded others tried around the same timeframe (Donic Acuda and Stiga Airoc Astro M), and so softer brush looping was good, and spinning on serves and heavy pushes was also good, although without a really good sense of touch that I would have expected from this slower rubber/sponge combo.  Serve returns were just a little over-sensitive, perhaps a little similar to T05, with a little bit of the grab-and-jump sensation.

Changing over to backhands, my impression improved a little, as blocks and counters seemed to have good control, and especially noticeable was more consistency on loop drives than I had experienced with my forehand.  It was at this point that I realized that I do have a longer carry time on my more “wristy” backhand loops than with my forehand, and so switched back to forehand drives with a completely different stroke style – with interesting results:  When I tried forehand loop drives with a very long carry and throw style (legal in Table Tennis, but not in Volleyball…think Ray Guillen and Paul Raphel in the 1980’s, if that helps older readers), and with that, the catapult effect was then quite strong and evident, and also consistent now, so that was at least fun for a little while.  Overall, quite difficult for me to picture a playing style and/or blade combination that might be well-suited to recommending this rubber.

Reviewer Playing Style:  I am a right-handed all-around player with a ~1900 USATT rating, using what I consider to be an ALL+ Tibhar Red Cyprus blade (soft feel, great touch and control, but low/medium speed).  I have used Tenergy O5 2.1mm on both my forehand and backhand for the last 3 years.  I consider my style of play a controlled spinner, in-and-out from the table.  I only played & trained “competitively” for 3 years of intensive practice from 1973-1976, with a rating of about 2000.  Since that time, I play few or no sanctioned tournaments at all, mostly content to help others learn. 

JohnTrev
JohnTrev View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnTrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2016 at 4:34am

Review: Stiga Airoc Astro M

Very good control overall, but disappointing spin vs. high expectations was my overall impression of this rubber.  Forehand counterdrives and loop drives had a good sense of control, but the slower sponge never gave me any sense of catapult or “pop” like the harder sponge/rubber combinations (like Donic Acuda and Victas).  Spinny touch shots like brush looping and serving were solid and controlled, but unremarkable in terms of spin level achievable (far below Tenergy 05).  A big plus was that it seemed fairly insensitive to incoming spin from opponents loop drives and/or serves, while still able to impart moderate spin levels with aggressive strokes from me on either deep serves or loops.  Countering and looping from my backhand side produced comparable results to the forehand shots, where control was the main strength of this rubber, enabling forced drives and punched blocks with impunity.  I’d also call the tactile touch response just middle-of-the road, where dropshots and delicate pushes were easy and comfortable, but also felt a little sluggish/dead at times, where I could not feel the pull of the opponents spin off this rubber at all.   Overall, this felt like a good control rubber for countering and blocking, but you’d probably want a blade with a harder surface than my ALL+ if you wanted to add any real zip to those shots.

Reviewer Playing Style:  I am a right-handed all-around player with a ~1900 USATT rating, using what I consider to be an ALL+ Tibhar Red Cyprus blade (soft feel, great touch and control, but low/medium speed).  I have used Tenergy O5 2.1mm on both my forehand and backhand for the last 3 years.  I consider my style of play a controlled spinner, in-and-out from the table.  I only played & trained “competitively” for 3 years of intensive practice from 1973-1976, with a rating of about 2000.  Since that time, I play few or no sanctioned tournaments at all, mostly content to help others learn. 

JohnTrev
JohnTrev View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnTrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2016 at 4:37am

Review: Tibhar Nimbas Delta V

I’d call this rubber “competent and predictable”.  Not exactly what the Marketing folks would want me to say, but this is a good, mid-grade rubber in terms of spin and speed – no more, but certainly no less. Going through a variety of different looping strokes, I could never produce great spin or speed, but the results were always solid and consistent.  While I agree with other reviewers that the sponge was softer than I prefer, with my relatively soft blade (Tibhar Red Cypress), there was no discernable “bottoming out”, but neither did the rubber ever seem to add any additional “pop” to any style of attacking shot.  Backhand counter-drives and/or blocks were the most fun, as the top-sheet seemed quite insensitive to either incoming spin or my stroke inconsistencies, allowing me to hit and place the ball with great consistency.  Also, while mostly insensitive to incoming spin while returning serves, the rubber/sponge did give a consistent tactile feedback, so that I would describe the sponge as slow—but not dead or mushy in any way, and so always forgiving, but never too exciting.  Also, with full and aggressive strokes while serving or pushing, I could still produce good spin, but never could generate particularly strong spin with quick/short strokes (or strong lift and spin on backhand flicks against chop), presumably due to the lack of surface tackiness.  I would not hesitate to recommend this rubber to a developing player as a “second-step” upward (the first step being virtually any of the least expensive inverted sheets to develop all-around stroke consistency, and the third step then being one of the top-tier “elite eight” type of rubber sheets as the player determines their unique style emphasis).

JohnTrev
JohnTrev View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnTrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2016 at 4:38am

Review: Donic Acuda Blue P1

Of the seven sample rubber sheets that I signed on for testing, this one was definitely in the top tier overall.  With forehand counters and loop drives the good hardness produced a good feel, with a nice pop of speed, and solid levels of spin (even if not especially outstanding).  Slower touch loops also had a nice feel of control, and again with very good spin, just not exceptional (vs. Tenergy).  All of these same impressions were repeated on my backhand loops, drives, and blocks – a good sense of speed and touch, with solid ability to spin the ball with good control when required.  Going full-out on serves and/or “dig” pushes also produced good-if-not-great levels of spin.  A big plus for me in using this rubber was that it seemed quite insensitive to opponents spin (or at least able to easily overcome that spin with any aggressive racquet acceleration on my part), and so was perfect for returning tougher serves.  I would therefore have this rubber in mind as a very strong consideration for my backhand, where I try to receive most serves – and since my last sheet of Adidas P7 is bound to be wearing out there over the next several months, I may need to buy a sheet for at least a full trial on this rubber.

JohnTrev
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic