Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Table tennis and your brain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Brett Clarke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2016 at 10:01am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Fatt, if you don't want to wait forever for rating inflation to break 2000, buy an Android and get with the program. This app is becoming ridiculously good.

Thanks NextLevel, I think the app still has a way to go before being ridiculously good, though it's a big improvement from where it was.

We are going to introduce a passive watching module where you just view the serves at reduced speed to help with learning. The type of spin will be printed on the screen. This module should be available in a week's time. William Henzell's backspin and nospin serve will be in the next update too. Although Henzell served mostly tomahawk, he had a very deceptive backspin/nospin variation.
Table Tennis Videos by Brett Clarke
Sponsored Links

qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2016 at 2:31pm
Brett,

Great job on the latest update.

Here's a few suggestions:

Add a tracer line to serves and display multiple serves simultaneously. This will show the speed/trajectory difference between different types of serves.

On your youtube video for the snake serve, you do a side by side comparison between the snake and non snake serve. A mode to do this for serves in the app would be nice.

Another option for comparison would be to superimpose images.

For example, for multiball down the line versus cross court, superimpose both shots on top of each other so body positioning can be compared.

You will need to do some video filtering and sync work, but the output could also be used on your youtube channel, so the work can be multipurpose, spreading out your cost across platforms.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2016 at 6:13pm
IOS update is now available. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2016 at 9:48am
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

Brett,

Great job on the latest update.

Add a tracer line to serves and display multiple serves simultaneously. This will show the speed/trajectory difference between different types of serves.

On your youtube video for the snake serve, you do a side by side comparison between the snake and non snake serve. A mode to do this for serves in the app would be nice.

Another option for comparison would be to superimpose images.

For example, for multiball down the line versus cross court, superimpose both shots on top of each other so body positioning can be compared.

You will need to do some video filtering and sync work, but the output could also be used on your youtube channel, so the work can be multipurpose, spreading out your cost across platforms.

Thanks for your feedback and support. 

I like the side-by-side and superimpose ideas. This sort of thing requires a lot of time, but I've recorded it for consideration.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2016 at 8:46am
Here's the 14th of May update info.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2016 at 10:08am

Brett,

Great job so far on the app.

A non competitive app mode to study contact points. For example, a way to watch serve contact in slow motion and option to zoom in closer to see the contact. Use of a ball with stripes and being able to toggle from stripped to not striped.

A hidden serve mode where the player must guess the spin without seeing contact. You may have to zoom out a little bit to get a good view of this. For example, I intentionally don't look at the contact point and try to guess the serve sometimes. Seeing the second bounce would be good for this.

Keep up the great work.

The non competitive mode is implement, as you suggested. I'm considering taking everything out but the ball and seeing if people can read the spin by the reaction. This would just be an option, of course.

Here is an overview of where the app is at.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2016 at 4:11pm
IOS update now available. 

qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2016 at 4:44pm
Nice job on the update.

What is your general thought about the importance of the sound of contact?

Do you teach people to listen to the sound to determine if the serve is no spin versus topspin/backspin?

As far as I can tell, in the serve game mode, the backspin/no spin has the same sound. Are you using the same sound for all contact? (I have been practicing lately with a chopper who is pretty good at mixing in a no spin chop occasionally. I have been trying to listen to the contact, so I have also been trying to apply this to serve receive.)

BTW, I really like the receiver's edge video with the side by side and overlay. It would be interesting to see if I can hear the difference in a no spin versus spin serve.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2016 at 7:57pm
The topic of sound is interesting. I feel that sound is a cue however it's often not there when you need it. You may be playing in a noisy hall or the opponent may be stamping their foot. Most of the time in competition, the sound won't be there for you. 

You are right, we used generic sound in the app. I might consider changing that one day. There were technical reasons for this decision.

In relation to the Receiver's Edge series, Part 2 is available and it's about backspin and nospin. The original sound is included. The video is an exclusive for ttEDGE members and it's unlikely to ever appear on YouTube. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2016 at 6:38am
Update available for Android users. IOS will hopefully be a day or two. I'll make a video tomorrow.

- Added a 3rd pendulum serve
- Added a 3rd multiball forehand topspin
- Added a 2nd multiball backhand topspin
- Improved the UI
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2016 at 9:47am
Thanks Brett. This app is really getting better and better. Really looking forward to future updates.

I'm wondering, do you have any plans at the moment to do a major overhaul of the UI? While what you have at the moment works, I'm hoping it'll be given a more modern style design sometime in the future :) I also think this will help attract a lot more people.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2016 at 9:59am
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by "modern style" and "overhaul of the UI". You are obviously comparing it to other apps, so I'm hoping you can be specific about what you want. Maybe you can point us towards some apps you consider modern and we can take a look.

I really appreciate your input however the advice is too general. I feel like you've said "improve the app" and left it at that. We generally try to implement what users want as long as it is something tangible.

qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2016 at 11:24am
Tried the new update on 2 phones.

In multiball, the speed bonus is now always 0 after each game. BH/FH/block, same thing, always 0. I usually saw a speed bonus of 900-1000 before the update.

Speed bonus on serves is ok.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2016 at 11:55am

In multiball, the speed bonus is now always 0 after each game. BH/FH/block, same thing, always 0. I usually saw a speed bonus of 900-1000 before the update.

The speed bonuses and smileys have been tightened up significantly. Let me know if you like it or hate it. 

This app is a long way off being finished.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2016 at 12:09pm
It's an ego deflator but I will accept it.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2016 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

It's an ego deflator but I will accept it.

I know. I find Trevor's backhand and forehand really hard to read and my usual early anticipation isn't going that well. I can get 2 smileys pretty often, though I'm making a bunch of mistakes and I'm surprised every single time. It's good training though. 

qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2016 at 1:40pm
I have mostly ignored the speed bonus because the number pre update was always about the same so therefore not interesting.

It would be interesting to see a graph of actual reaction times for a session and maybe a way to compare sessions over time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2016 at 8:43pm

I have mostly ignored the speed bonus because the number pre update was always about the same so therefore not interesting.

It would be interesting to see a graph of actual reaction times for a session and maybe a way to compare sessions over time.

Thanks qpskfec, the graph stuff obviously needs to be in the app eventually. We actually have bigger plans than just a graph. At the moment we are focused on filling the app with more shots which is a surprisingly big job. Once that's done, we can work on other things.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2016 at 8:10am
Here's a video with the new features.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 7:26pm
IOS update is now available.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2016 at 8:10am
Latest update on IOS and Android is now available. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2016 at 9:25am
Latest update for Android. IOS is a couple of days away

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2016 at 10:17pm
Great update. I'm sure you guys have heaps planned for the future already, but one thing I would like to see is the ability to have shots played continuously. 

What I mean by that is if you get it right (or even if you get it wrong, depending on preference), the screen doesn't pause for a short period before the next ball. This way it should mimic a real rally a lot better. Ideally, the ball would be returned at a speed similar to a real rally.

Keep up the great work.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2016 at 11:20pm

It might be only me... sorry... but I feel that the title of this thread is misleading.

Perhaps it might be called "How one inexpensive and table tennis related smart phone app affects your brain" ?
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2016 at 11:53am
IOS update is now available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2016 at 8:11am
Android update is ready now and IOS will be available on Monday or Tuesday.

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2016 at 2:35pm
I get problems in the 'games' section on my Android device.

I choose 'tap' instead of 'swipe'. However, many taps do not register.

This does not happen in other parts of the app.

BTW: could you add a pause button during the slow-mo replay section of the serves module?

Great work!
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2016 at 3:08pm
Nice update.

+1 on slevin's comments

I have tried the game mode on 2 phones. I have no idea if my tap isn't registering or I am too slow. Maybe there should be "easy, med, hard" modes so players can actually tell what is happening.

To be more useful, I would like to see an option for feedback on reaction time. Maybe a bar with a tick marks for my reaction time versus what is needed to win the point.

Another option to have voice recognition. For example you could say "right/left/topspin/backspin" etc. instead of tapping/swiping. It would be interesting to see the difference between voice and physical contact. I expect using voice will be a bit faster.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2016 at 5:38pm
You need to be quick to stay in the rally. If the ball passes the end line, William takes the point. The multiball section is designed differently and allows for users to be much slower.

Next week there will be different levels - beginner, intermediate, advanced and pro. There will also be a match against Trevor. The existing game against William is intermediate level, so train hard!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2016 at 9:00pm
IOS update is available for download
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic