FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

7 years of tenergy 05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7 years of tenergy 05
    Posted: 02/03/2016 at 2:26am
First of all I would like to say a long time no see hello to all the friends I had many years ago on this forum.  Life and pursuits pull you in many directions but TT is one you always come back to, however much it might make you unhappy, bore you, become inconsequential.  

In a nutshell, living abroad and family life, falling in love with bikes and motorising them eventually drew my attention from tt for I can only guess for more than 5 years.

Sorry about the preamble.  

I paid up my membership at my local club for a year of tt, so am serious enough to get back into it.  I also had a great hit there that night with an old table tennis friend.

We had a few knocks with my many 3 star balls until the new ball thing came up finally.  We grabbed a couple off another old friend to slap around.

Oh my god the new ball feels like a p of sh.   Everything freels broken dead and like...  anyway I must adapt and continued to play and sure I have gone to a very different style flipping with LP chopping and my rasant is really not doing me any love of the game at all.  I know my condition and practise is out but I know by far that my stroke especially the counter loop did not suck this much.

I still got another unopened rasant but know that when the first season starts I want my old stroke back and I know it is tenergy 05.  Being away from this site for what I guess 5 years at least can anyone tell me if there has been any progress to replacements?  

I have done esn blue fire which was great new but lost its love really fast, and rasant at $50 which I lvoed brand new for the first few hits = although too soft.

surely in all this time away some other company has matched t05 (please dont mention synthetic esn topsheet which I hate).

cheers

and glad to finally be back with you guys.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 02/08/2016 at 4:10am
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2016 at 2:55am
I'm not sure who else besides ESN or DHS would be making something to compete with Tenergy 05. Anyway, the Xiom Omega V rubbers and Tibhar Evolution MXP have been able to match the performance of Tenergy 05. However, what's important to note is that they don't necessarily feel like Tenergy 05. Conversely Tenergy 05 doesn't feel like those rubbers. So what I'm saying is that Tenergy 05 doesn't have an inherently superior feel, but rather you might already be used to the feel and anything else (even with matching performance) wouldn't feel right to you. So to answer the question, yes there are viable alternatives to Tenergy 05. Is there a carbon copy of it? No there is not. Just like there isn't a carbon copy of the aforementioned rubbers that are able to match the performance.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2016 at 3:00am
Tenergy has fallen out of favor.  Everyone wants to get their hands on a piece of the coveted super duper holy wonder winner winner chicken dinner National Hurricane.  Even Boll and Dima are that desperate to procure one that they turn sour grapes.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2016 at 6:32am
Radiant grip is pretty awesome, I've gone through 4-5 sheets myself (with 4-5 different BH rubber *ahem*),
But yeah recently I've fount it too soft as well, maybe the rasant power grip mate?
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
seahorse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seahorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2016 at 8:29am
Originally posted by gekogark1212 gekogark1212 wrote:

Radiant grip is pretty awesome, I've gone through 4-5 sheets myself (with 4-5 different BH rubber *ahem*),
But yeah recently I've fount it too soft as well, maybe the rasant power grip mate?

Hey Boz welcome back.  The TT bug can not be denied forever.

I have a black sheet of 2.1 Rasant Powergrip that you can have for $50 shipped (in Oz).  I bought two sheets and its a great rubber but I find it too hard for my game so by the sounds of things it may suit your game perfectly.

Cheers

Donic Dicon (JO shape)
F: DNA Platinum M
B: Jekyll & Hyde 52.5
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2016 at 2:47pm
Hi Boz, IMO nothing quite feels the same as T05, whether it performs better or worse than other comparable rubbers is debatable, but the feel on contact is unique to T05, nothing gets near enough for me anyway.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2016 at 7:06pm
If money is not the issue then why not just get Tenergy? It'll last a while, and it sounds like it's what you really want.
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2016 at 7:53pm
Welcome back :))

Nothing compares to Tenergy, for a pity...
That's my conclusion.
If we are talking for a good rubber with high durability and good spin/speed - the only one answer is Yasaka Rakza7. You must note this rubber is little more heavier than 05, may be 2 grams per rubber.
Rakza7 SOFT is more lighter, but also slower, topsheet is the same.

Good luck!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2016 at 8:00pm
For people who really like T05 nothing has surpassed it or even quite equaled it (but there are some now that come reasonably close).  This is true, even with the new balls.  As things stand now.  These days it's more a question of feel than performance.  Now, if money is an issue, than go with Tibhar Evolution MX-P.  Closest thing to it, not as expensive.  Rakza 7 as noted is pretty good, there are some Donic rubbers, Joola makes something too.  But Evolution really comes closest.

But at the end of the day, I say screw it, just buy T05.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2016 at 9:01pm
Welcome back, Boz.

re: plastic balls, get some Nittaku Premium 40+ or Xushaofa *** 40+ seamless balls. The other seamed balls are crap.

re: rubbers, the new ESN thing has been 'grip'. This certainly helps with plastic. To me, T05 shows a greater dip in performance moving from celluloid to plastic than some of the grippy new ESN rubbers show.

Of the new ones, the most successful is Evolution MX-P (in terms of acceptance at the pro level). However, it is a bit harder than T05 - does not work for everyone.

Coming from T05, one might discount low-throw rubbers or rubbers weak from mid-distance. So, that takes out Omega V Euro & Rasant Grip though both have good reviews (in terms of both grip and spin).

You can try EL-P or my current favorite: Rakza 9.

Whatever you do, no matter how much you want, please don't shell out $75 per sheet for T05 (given that your aim isn't in going pro). This might be difficult for someone who owns the Tenergy05.com domain name.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2016 at 12:00am
Tibhar's Evolution rubbers are worth a try, otherwise ignore everything besides Tenergy. It's still the best by far. You might even like Tenergy 80 if you haven't tried it. It's a nice backhand rubber on some blades.

Btw, welcome back! I have to say I stuck with your YouTube channel as long as I could, but all that electric bike stuff was taking up too much space in my subscriptions! let us know if you if you start posting TT vids again and I'll subscribe again.
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2016 at 1:09am
When you can get Evolution for $30 (if you buy four at at a time) nothing else is worth buying unless you can justify buying Tenergy.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2016 at 4:37am
cheers for all the replies, 

I came across something on tt11 or something like that about the tibhar too, which sounds promising I guess.  Mostly because it's made in japan if thats right....   if it has the same high throw it might be worth a shot ....

Yes I still think I should just stick with what has always worked....

As for tenergyy05.com, it kind of disappeared I just saw yesterday, as I didn't frequent it and keep it alive, and surprisingly I didn't get a notice to pay up for the hosting so its just vanished...

Bit sad to lose a lot of info there and for anyone desperate to get it it should be somewhere in google cache but I am over it.

My goal was to sponsor my tt equipment and it did work, but the time spent typing is more than just doing an extra hour at work soooo, the domain is probably not worth renewing.

As for youtube channel, John Bozi won't be any tt, but tabletennisHD maybe one day if I ever lose the love handles Embarrassed

To be realistic though I highly doubt I will ever get to the best I have played due to a number of things already mentioned.

1. family = time sucker - will try to get my 2 year old into tt soon, but with the wife too it will cost me 3 times as much to have a hit (still worth it)
2. age = my body takes much longer to recover both on the court and physically after the session

But TT is not about competition for me even though I am still as annoyingly vocal on the court... 
I am sticking with the LP twiddle for now as I am finding it fun to defend and it kind of slows down the game at times.  

groovy times ahead, now I got two hobbies again to blow my cash.  If you think tt gets expensive you haven't tried the custom electric bike bug.   I reckon I have blown near $10k in a few years.  

To allow the tangent I am an equipment junky in everything I touch and get sucked into.  The relatively simple study of rubber chemistry, volatile chemicals and wood and aritificial fibres (sure the game and movement itself is extremely complex) becomes simple compared to all I have learnt about electricity, batteries, controller and motors and the rest.

TT is safer :)  you can't burn down your house, have an explosion or have your bike suddenly go WOT with 5kw...

beer time

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2016 at 12:42pm
Despite having Japanese characters on the package, Tibhar Evolution rubbers are ESN.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 4:32am
That's not what I wanted to hear.  

I will speed glue up an old sheet of 05 before I head into the club tomorrow.  If it works will buy a new sheet to glue up later.  

BTW my site seemed to have been hacked, but I upgraded some code and she's back up for another few years.  

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 02/08/2016 at 4:43am
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 9:47am
Hey Boz, don't worry. I've EJed enough for you while you were gone. Just stick with Tenergy 05, the new ball works very well with it, durability wise. I'm currently using 3 year old sheets, still kicking like a champ. The DHS national stuff is good, but durability/degradation is unstable compared to 05, avoid it. Avoid esn rubbers, there are a few good ones, but most suck really bad for your level. (when you start hitting hard, the rubber turns to crap) Save your ej money for your child's education or beer.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Argothman Argothman wrote:

When you can get Evolution for $30 (if you buy four at at a time) nothing else is worth buying unless you can justify buying Tenergy.

Where?  I only see it for $10 cheaper than tenergy...

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
CroNone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CroNone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

However, what's important to note is that they don't necessarily feel like Tenergy 05. Conversely Tenergy 05 doesn't feel like those rubbers. 

I have to agree. It's hard to describe. Yes there are faster rubbers out there but the feel of Tenergy is unique. The way I'd describe it is that you feel the elasticity of the rubber when you loop. You feel the pull of the rubber as it pushes the ball forward. There's a unique resistance that gets sent through your handle as well as the pop sound it gives off. It's almost like a reward when you get the right bat angle and speed going through the rubber.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic