Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good blades for Evolution MX-S?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good blades for Evolution MX-S?
    Posted: 02/03/2016 at 6:41pm
Hi everyone,

I recently glued on Evo MX-S on my Timo Boll ALC on the forehand. I was wondering if the ALC would be a good fit - the MX-S doesn't have as much speed as its brother, the MX-P, so my theory is that a faster blade such as the ALC would benefit it greatly.

However, for MX-S users, what is your experience with blade compatibility.

Thanks,

SmackDAT.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Sponsored Links

nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2016 at 7:40pm
I'm using mx-s FH on my vega pro right now. Using mx-p on the BH. I get tempted to use mxp on my FH, but well, mx-s sure is helping me get my stroke perfect. I'm using a xiom vega pro. Enough power behind the table if you loop instead of drive(with a good swing) . I also tried it on a samsonov force pro (blk ed), a bit higher throw and a lot easier to use than the vega pro near the table and easier to drive from mid dist, though a bit tougher to loop since its not flexy. mx-s should be easy to use on a tbalc too I guess, though I kinda feel like arylate and koto outers arnt gonna bring out the best in mx-s. Feel like trying it on the regular force pro, might be a good fit since it has tonnes of dwell, good throw, and maybe a tiny bit of flex compare To the blk ed.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2016 at 3:30am
My experience is that it works better with hard feeling blades with some degree of flexibility. Hard can be a result of the outer ply or of the general composition.

I think it doesn't work well on blades that are too soft, have too much dwell, or very little catapult.

I'm not sure how well it will work on an ALC, since it isn't firmly in either category. Your feedback will be useful.
siestakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siestakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2016 at 9:23am
     I like it on Hinoki blades eg, DS90 , Amultart , Adidas Ultimate , Strike Carbon etc .
Siesta Key
W968
Omega Tour 7 i
bully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2016 at 9:30am
I have MX-S on both wings of my ZJ SZLC...very nice ! Short and spinny serves, superb topspin curve, powerfull close and medium to the table..good combination !
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2016 at 1:56pm
I use MX-S on the FH of an old Allround Stiga blade and it works well.  I think this rubber likes blades with a little flex, but it is probably a personal choice.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2016 at 3:05pm
mx-s is definitely more of a brush loopers rubber, so something with a dwelly outer wood and Atleast some degree of flex should help. With mx-s, cannot easily counter or drive with a not too closed angle like with mx-p. I'm not sure how it'l do on a blade with a koto outer like tb Alc, should give you better control compared to a limba outer blade I suppose.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2016 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by nv42 nv42 wrote:

mx-s is definitely more of a brush loopers rubber, so something with a dwelly outer wood and Atleast some degree of flex should help. With mx-s, cannot easily counter or drive with a not too closed angle like with mx-p. I'm not sure how it'l do on a blade with a koto outer like tb Alc, should give you better control compared to a limba outer blade I suppose.

Like with all things, it depends on your technique.  This was not my experience with MX-S at all.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2016 at 6:12pm
Well wish me luck with MX-S on a TB ALC - playing a tournament with only a 2 hour practice session prior due to a boosting failure with T05 :D
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2016 at 6:40pm

I'll have to disagree, limba outer should give more control comparingto koto outer, because koto is harder than limba, thus less dwell time.

As for MX-S, it's a rubber that demand proper stroke so that power can be generated from your whole body movement, leg-waist-arm-wrist.
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2016 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by qualizon qualizon wrote:

I'll have to disagree, limba outer should give more control comparingto koto outer, because koto is harder than limba, thus less dwell time.

As for MX-S, it's a rubber that demand proper stroke so that power can be generated from your whole body movement, leg-waist-arm-wrist.

I agree with that.  MX-S likes confidence in your stroke.  I naturally have a fairly long looping stroke, so it works out very nicely for me and I feel it gives me a good margin for error as long as I am not trying to baby the shot too much.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
bptse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bptse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2016 at 11:43pm
It plays on a Photino like it belongs there.
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2016 at 11:48am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Like with all things, it depends on your technique.  This was not my experience with MX-S at all.

Agreed. I had no problems initially during the warm up counter drills. But during match play, if I had to counter opponents topspin, I felt like I got a more better and consistent counter with mx-s while I closed the angle just a bit more than with mx-p.

have you tried max mx-s yet nextlevel? havnt tried too many rubbers in 2.0, but from whatever iv tried I havnt liked any, felt more speedy and less spinny than then max versions. Never tried a 2.0 rubber as hard or harder than mxp In 2.0, but would consider mx-s in 2.0 since it's soo friggin heavy! :p

Edited by nv42 - 02/05/2016 at 12:05pm
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2016 at 11:59am
Originally posted by qualizon qualizon wrote:

Both my tbs and vega pro are almsot the same speed in the lower gears (vega pro a tiny bit faster maybe), and yea, the ball definitely does stay longer on the vega pro. I dont know why, on more brushy shots I find koto outer easier to control even though they do generate less spin comparatively (tbs and zxi) , not that I have any problem with limba, on the contrary I prefer limba though koto kinda feels a lot tamer on brushy strokes. Nothing that someone can't get used to though, so it's all good.
And I agree with what you said abt mx-s, exactly why I'm loving it on my FH right now! and the fact that it demands the right technique is something I like and it really let's you rip the ball with full confidence if your a brush looper.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic