FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Coaching Juniors Without Enough Tables

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coaching Juniors Without Enough Tables
    Posted: 02/08/2016 at 12:55am
Hi. I have a question for the coaches out there, or anyone if you have something to add :)

If you had to coach 20 students, but there were only 5 tables, how would you do it?

For warm up, you can have 4 students per table doing straight/cross forehand/backhands, but what about after that?

I'm looking for ideas or techniques to help the students stay concentrated while they aren't hitting the ball.

For example, with multiball if I have one student feeding, one student hitting and one student collecting the balls, the moment I add a fourth, they tend to end up talking with the person picking up the balls. Then when the multiball session is over, not enough balls have been collected. Then the ones who were hitting and feeding the ball end up just waiting and talking because it technically wasn't their job to pickup the balls.

With other styles of practice, say third ball practice, only two students can use a table at once, so the other two end up talking, not concentrating and sometimes not practicing at all as the other two end up practicing the whole time (no rotation happens because they're talking).

Same with match practice.

Does anyone have any tried techniques/activities for people who are waiting to do to keep their attention?

I've tried asking any waiting students to do shadow strokes, but of course, no one really wants to do it so it never works out.

I also have an idea to get them assigned to police some role, like pointing out one specific thing the person hitting the ball is doing whenever it happens (like fixing finger grip, stroke start or finish positions, etc), but I haven't tried this yet.

By the way, I can't choose the students. I have what I've been given. I just have to try and make the best of it. None of them are against improving, they just lack the discipline and concentration to practice effectively (probably because they're about 12 years old). 

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 1:03am
For the table that you are on, there should be a line. And maybe after 2-3 misses, the next player gets on. You can do the same thing with the other tables, just designate a feeder. And you rotate that feeder.   

Edited by kenneyy88 - 02/08/2016 at 1:04am
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 1:43am
First of all, is there a rule that you must have equal players at each table? If not, all you need is a stop watch. You will assign only 3 players to each tables that you are not on. Then, the rest of of the players (~ 8 players) will be at your table. You can feed 5 to 10 straight/cross forehand/backhands balls (or something the player wants to learn) to a player, then the next player gets on. Then after time, you send 3 players to a table, and 3 new players will join the line.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 3:44am
1) When you do multiball you can involve more than one player hitting the ball. For example: one person feeds while 3 players do the following sequence: forehand from forehand corner, forehand from middle, forehand from backhand, get out of the way, next person. This keeps all 3 players moving at all times.

2) You could split the group in 2, and have half do off table work like shadow stroke, and fitness etc while the other half is at the tables. 

3)  You could make a circuit where there is an off the table item between each item requiring tables.
For example: 

Position 1 - Service practice
Position 2 - Shadow stroke 
Position 3 - multiball
Position 4 - situps
Position 5 - forehand to forehand consistency drill
Position 6 - Sprints
Position 7 - backhand to backhand consistency drill
Position 8 - agility ladder
Position 9 - 3rd ball attack drill
Position 10 - frog jumps

"None of them are against improving, they just lack the discipline and concentration to practice effectively (probably because they're about 12 years old)."

Well, we have a number of players 12 and under who have enough discipline and concentration to play at over 2000 level. 10 year old Aziz is 2074.

Here is one of our students at 6 years oldhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyjIF9jHvGg

If he has the discipline and concentration to practice effectively at 6, your students can do so at 12.

Good luck!
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 10:18am
Thank you guys. These are exactly the type of ideas I was looking for.

@Egghead We don't need to keep it 4 to a table, so that sounds like a great idea.

@alphapong Lots of great ideas there. The practice area is quite small, so it's going to be hard to fit all of that in, but you've given me a lot of ideas to work with. 

I should probably clarify about the lack of discipline and concentration. Since I work in a Japanese school, all students are required to attend a club after school for up to 2 hours a day. These are just the students who chose table tennis. Their circumstances vary, but not many join because they really wanted to play table tennis. The way the students behave is a little more like how students behave in PE class when they're playing some sport outside (at least how it was for me when I was a student). It's a slow process, but I am slowly getting them in order. Another problem is that I only see them once or twice a week, but they practice 5 days a week. The other teachers generally don't maintain order as much as I would like (they also have no table tennis experience).

P.S. That 6 year old looks great!! Good job there.

Edited by mickd - 02/08/2016 at 10:18am
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 10:59am
I recommend that you get a copy of the ITTF Level I Coaching Manual.  It has a lot of good information. Having 5 table for 20 kids is PLENTY if you organize things correctly.

The book is available from Paddle Palace, the ITTF, and (I think) Amazon. Link to the book at Paddle Palace  LINK (might not work, but I tried!)

bes
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 11:10am
Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

1) When you do multiball you can involve more than one player hitting the ball. For example: one person feeds while 3 players do the following sequence: forehand from forehand corner, forehand from middle, forehand from backhand, get out of the way, next person. This keeps all 3 players moving at all times.

2) You could split the group in 2, and have half do off table work like shadow stroke, and fitness etc while the other half is at the tables. 

3)  You could make a circuit where there is an off the table item between each item requiring tables.
For example: 

Position 1 - Service practice
Position 2 - Shadow stroke 
Position 3 - multiball
Position 4 - situps
Position 5 - forehand to forehand consistency drill
Position 6 - Sprints
Position 7 - <span style="line-height: 11.2px;">backhand to backhand consistency drill</span>
Position 8 - agility ladder
Position 9 - <span style="line-height: 11.2px;">3rd ball attack drill</span>
<span style="line-height: 11.2px;">Position 10 - frog jumps</span>
<span style="line-height: 11.2px;">
</span>
"None of them are against improving, they just lack the discipline and concentration to practice effectively (probably because they're about 12 years old)."

Well, we have a number of players 12 and under who have enough <span style="line-height: 11.2px;">discipline and concentration to play at </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">over 2000 level. 10 year old Aziz is 2074.</span>

Here is one of our students at <span style="line-height: 11.2px;">6 years old</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">: </span>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyjIF9jHvGg

If he has the <span style="line-height: 11.2px;">discipline and concentration to practice effectively</span> at 6, your students can do so at 12.
<span style="line-height: 11.2px;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 11.2px;">Good luck!</span>

What setup would you recomend for a developing 10 year old. 2 wing looper?
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 12:24pm
If by setup you mean racket, most of our developing juniors play Joola Viva with 2.0 Maxxx 450. The Maxxx topsheet is soft and grippy enough that juniors can develop very good spin with it.

When they are just starting, we give them Mambo-H.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 1:49pm

If by setup you mean racket, most of our developing juniors play Joola Viva with 2.0 Maxxx 450. The Maxxx topsheet is soft and grippy enough that juniors can develop very good spin with it.

Do you think clipper and acuda s3 could be good or maybe yeo.what rubber could be the next step after andro impuls?
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 1:49pm

Do you think clipper and acuda s3 could be good or maybe yeo.what rubber could be the next step after andro impuls?
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 4:19pm

Aziz #1 Boys 10 & under            Kai #3 Boys 12 & under    Avery #6 Boys 11 & under

Well since we are a Joola Club, I can offer the following. All 3 boys in our Elite Development Program use Joola Maxx rubber, all 3 boys are currently top 10 ranked US born for their age.

Avery used to play with some kind of obscure Japanese brand with an insect as a logo. I think the blade was $400 and the rubbers were $75 each. He changed to Joola equipment just prior to Nationals (he says the Emotion is much better than his old $400 blade) and he has shot up more than 400 points.

So in my opinion Joola rubbers and blade are essential. Is it even possible to play well with anything else?

Disclaimer – If you don’t have a sense of humor, are of less than average intelligence, or do not have solid written English comprehension please disregard this post as you will likely misinterpret it.

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 8:06pm
Thanks for the book recommendation bes. I was about to buy it on amazon, but I noticed that the one on Amazon only has about 300 pages. But the one you linked says it's the newest edition with 100 extra pages (about 400). Does this mean Amazon doesn't stock the latest edition? I'd prefer to buy a kindle copy (epub or equivalent), but that seems like a deal breaker.

I'd love to one day checkout where you work, alphapong. It looks like a great environment.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic