Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone still using Nimbus Soft?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone still using Nimbus Soft?
    Posted: 02/22/2016 at 10:11pm
For the fun of it, I have recently pulled from a dusted box an old Juic SB Alpha (SH, 94g) with a sheet of Nimbus Soft 2.0 mm on FH, and added some LP on backhand... 
Boy, after playing with T80 both sides on TBS(s), the Nimbus on FH ($46) was actually very enjoyable, including during league matches. It gave me quite some speed for drives, any distance, with lots of control. Maybe only pushes felt like I needed to re-learn them, definitely different feel than T-80 pushing. 
Is anybody still playing with Nimbus and can you recommend it for a more "permanent" use?

Edited by JacekGM - 04/24/2017 at 11:17pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Sponsored Links

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2016 at 5:41am
I understand what you mean about this one. One of our best players swears in the Nimbus Soft(Gergely FH), it's control and even speed. I tried his combo few times and was impressed . I used to play with the regular Nimbus and like it a lot, although the pro players obviously don't....
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2016 at 6:42am
the topsheet turns slick in one or 2 weeks after that it's crap.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2016 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

the topsheet turns slick in one or 2 weeks after that it's crap.
... still, I have been thinking that the only time I really need spinny rubber is for serving. This one still performs. I use Joola Clipper Schaum to clean it after playing.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2016 at 6:31pm
When glue ban took place, My brother tried BTY Solcion but hated it so he tried NS& still using it from it was released at the market. hes reluctanct to change, you can find them at 20€ on some places since theyre clearing out the stock

Edited by jonyer1980 - 02/24/2016 at 6:38pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2017 at 11:12pm
More than a year later, I am still playing with Nimbus Soft on FH. Time to replace it, though, maybe with Max thickness due to the plastic ball (a fad or what...) ?
What would play similarly to Nimbus Soft? 

Edited by JacekGM - 04/24/2017 at 11:19pm
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2017 at 2:06am
Evo FXP is quite similar but a bit harder and more durable
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2017 at 9:21am
I always hated the nimbus soft, way too bouncy for short game and completely uncontrolable on fast composite blades. Also, the topsheet indeed turns to crap after some time, it's one of the least grippiest topsheets that I own. It's only good for medium distance BH driving and flat hitting and long topspin/sidespin serves.

Oh sorry, didn't read your recent question at first.
If you are looking for something similar, then I'd advise you to get something with same hardness (37,5 deg.) So most FX versions of ESN stuff should be similar.

Edited by Hozuki - 04/25/2017 at 9:25am
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2017 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

I always hated the nimbus soft, way too bouncy for short game and completely uncontrolable on fast composite blades. Also, the topsheet indeed turns to crap after some time, it's one of the least grippiest topsheets that I own. It's only good for medium distance BH driving and flat hitting and long topspin/sidespin serves.

Oh sorry, didn't read your recent question at first.
If you are looking for something similar, then I'd advise you to get something with same hardness (37,5 deg.) So most FX versions of ESN stuff should be similar.
Thanks for your uncompromising comment... Big smile
Well, I clean my NS (red) after each session, and it is still playable. True, not the grippiest rubber sheet at 2.0, but seems to be very good for precision drives and I also find it very good for short game. 
BTW, is Max thickness NS maybe better for looping than the 2.0 mm?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic