Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Close to Table Blocking / Brush Looping Setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Close to Table Blocking / Brush Looping Setup
    Posted: 03/08/2016 at 2:12am
Well, as always... the search for new equipment continues!

I'm looking for a blade and rubber setup that is conducive for the blocking and brush looping style. Basically where you loop/drive against weaker players and block/loop against better players. 

I've developed a very backhand oriented playstyle after practicing the FZD and ZJ backhand flicks/flips/loops. Probably 80/20 backhand to forehand ratio. My backhand tends to favor the heavy spin loop -- a near vertical stroke -- when not blocking (against pushes and such). The forehand does something similar, but more passively unless forced off the table. I like to mix up blocks using a bit of spin with very heavy spin loops and side spin curves. This change in pace/spin seems to result in a lot of errors from my opponent at my current level (1600-ish?). 

So essentially, I'm looking for a backhand rubber that can put some HEAVY spin on the ball close to the table (and block pretty well), along with a forehand rubber that is good for blocking and driving. Bearing in mind that my kill shots and general play center around the backhand.

I'm also looking for a blade to try as well, straight handles. My wallet is a bit lighter after my recent EJing binge... so far I've tried the following:

timo boll w7 - coppa x2 platin (fh/bh)

axelo - fh desto 3 big slam / bh barracuda big slam 

liu shiwen - fh acuda s3 / bh coppa x2

kim kyung ah - tackiness chop 2 / bh juic 999 elite defense 

I also have reflectoid, geospin tacky, omega pro iv, sriver (garbage imo!) and quite a few others. 

Combos I'm interested in are:

timo boll t5000 - tenergy 25 fx forehand / t 64 fx backhand

mazunov, korbel sk7, xiom zetro quad.

I like the timo boll w7 with coppa x2 best so far, along with the axelo. The problem there is it seems those setups are better at the blocking/driving aspect, and don't impart as much spin as I'd like on the heavy loops. 

Any suggestions? 
Sponsored Links

Da Baobei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Baobei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2016 at 2:51am
A lot of the rubbers on your list are pretty soft. Do you not like harder rubbers or is this a coincidence.
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2016 at 3:16am
Originally posted by Da Baobei Da Baobei wrote:

A lot of the rubbers on your list are pretty soft. Do you not like harder rubbers or is this a coincidence.

I sought out the soft ones for the blocking game. I think the hardest I've used is h3 #19 sponge or omega iv pro. 

The soft ones have been my preference so far, though I've not experimented with many others. I've been eyeballing BTY Spin Art though.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2016 at 10:02am
T25 FX is better than good on FH...

Awesome for spiny short serves, great for drives off the bounce, blocks for fun and loops feel nice with great sound...

Have you considered T05 Fx on BH..? Very comfortable and easy to generate spin with...

Though, you wouldn't go far wrong with T25 FX on both sides based on your requirements...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic