Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please feedback my FH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please feedback my FH
    Posted: 03/21/2016 at 7:45am

hello would you give some advice about my forehand?
any advice is welcome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOweuTSAUXY

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
Sponsored Links

t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2016 at 7:59am
its not private ...
if you type t64t64t64 in youtube should be visible ..
The soul of rock View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2016 at 9:38am
I think probably you should use more wrist in your strokes. Also you should relax the forearm when you swing back and only apply the force shortly before hitting the ball as well. A classic example (put the video at 0.5x speed for the best viewing pleasure Big smile )

Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
My feedback
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2016 at 11:35am
Originally posted by The soul of rock The soul of rock wrote:

I think probably you should use more wrist in your strokes. Also you should relax the forearm when you swing back and only apply the force shortly before hitting the ball as well. A classic example (put the video at 0.5x speed for the best viewing pleasure Big smile )

As The_soul_of_rock pointed out, the usage of the arm is pretty poor even as the core rotation is pretty athletic.  You need to stop letting your core rotation dictate where the arm points during the stroke.  IF you could absorb all the lessons of the WLQ stroke ( swing in a straight line towards forehead, wait until the ball is close and then start your whip motion - straighten and then bend the elbow as if you are running or punching), then you would have a very high level loop given you already use the body well.  IF you miss the ball long, come round the side more.

OF course, some players can get away with that kind of loop that you have, but they can also do much better if they improve how they use the arm.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/21/2016 at 11:36am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2016 at 4:22pm
If this is a forehand counter hit, I'd say you're grazing the ball a bit too much.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2016 at 5:54pm
I am in agreement with zeio.  It appears to be a kind of "between stroke" (between a counter and a loop).

If it was supposed to be a counter then
1. Backswing is a little low (or not raising racket up before starting forward swing)
2. Swing plane is a little too much vertical
3. Blade angle is too closed
4. All above result in too much brushing for a counter, but not enough spin generation to bring ball back down on table if you generate a little too much speed or start the ball a little high

If it was supposed to be a loop or heavy topspin drive
1. Backswing is a little high
2. Swing plane is a little horizontal
3. Forearm/upper arm angle is constant.  Should increase in backswing and decrease in follow through from the ready position angle. 
4. Using too much upper arm.
5. #3 and #4 could be helped if you relaxed the arm more

I was in a very similar situation.  I noticed that I would hit 5-10 Fh's in a row and then hit a random flyer long or drop one pretty low into the net.  I never seemed to be good at hitting the 30-100 shots in a row during warm-up that lots of players at my level seemed to be able to do so easily.  Once I switched to a much flatter counter per Brett Clarke's videos on TTEdge my consistency went way up.  I was also generating a lot more speed on the ball with the same effort.

I am still working on the loop form from TTEdge.  But I can say that the increased focus on opening and then closing the elbow angle has resulted in a lot more spin on my loops when I do it right.  The whip action Brett emphasizes has also dramatically increased the speed of my loops without seemingly using any more effort.

If you want to stay with a form closer to what you are using you might look at Jeff Plumb's strokes at the Ping Skills website.   His counter stroke is a little deceptive unless you look closely at it in slow motion because he has a farily flat swing until ball contact but the follow through is much more vertical.  If you just look at the start and end of the counter it looks like a much more vertical stroke than is actually being used to hit the ball (the part up to contact).   You seem to be pretty close to Jeff's "topspin against block" stroke.  A little adjustment might be all you need to match his technique and get more consistent.

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 03/21/2016 at 5:57pm
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 1:14am
Hmmm... well, I'll challenge all of the previous posts.  What's the worst you can all do? Hunt me down in my bed and shoot me?

First, I'll point out that the camera angle is very poor.  You can't see where he is in relationship to the table or to the ball.  So I'm making some guesses on what's going on here.

Second, I'll also point out that hiking your shorts up to short-short level went out of style in about 1990, excepting JM Saive, and he's long retired.  So I wish he would have spared us that.

As for the various comments:

1) Those are intended to be medium spiny shots.  Call them near-the-table loops if you want.  Unless he intends to become a counter-hitter like Mark, there's no point in trying to not be spiny.

2) As a near-the-table loop, I don't have any problem with his stroke.  He's got decent racket speed and good spin, and pretty good consistency.  When he appears to move off the table a bit (it's hard to be sure that's what he's doing), then his stroke might be a little too lame for the power he needs.  The WLQ video posted shows WLQ looping from well off the table, where there is room and a need for more power.    However, our guy should only be looking for that kind of power (and big stroke) when he's off the table, which doesn't appear to be most of the video.

3) He doesn't use much (if any) forearm snap.  For warming up near the table, that's OK.  Once he wants more power (like off the table), it's going to really limit his racket speed.  Even so, it's consistent with popular FH styles such as Timo Boll and also demonstrated on PingSkills. If he's not going to depend on big FH power like the Chinese (like WLQ), then this is probably an adequate FH swing and should produce a pretty spiny and consistent shot.  

My conclusion: within the limited context of this video, it's a pretty good FH stroke.  Want a better assessment? Then get a better camera angle and have him do more footwork (such as half-table forehands).
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 1:40am
I think the OP is the guy on the other side, with the blue shorts, practicing FH loops, and this side is just feeding him balls and blocking. 

The first thing that caught my eye was them shorts. You've got to roll down your damn shorts for a US video. I know europeans like them short, but that makes people uncomfortable here.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 2:31am
Short shorts - the crux of promoting table tennis in USA.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 2:43am
As to the video itself, it is easy enough to tell the distance the OP is from the table.  He is close to the table for the first minute, then he took roughly a step back starting at the second minute.  I'm fairly certain he was doing the counter hit before he turned to the loop.  The issue at hand is the contact.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 3:01am
yes i am the guy with short shorts.
the reason because the look like that is probably because my legs are really huge in a upper part.and i am not very comfortable with normal ones.
:)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 3:02am
I don't care what stroke he was using. Hitting or looping, the use of the arm is sub par. Again, is it possible to play well with subpar technique? Yes. But does it hurt you? Yes. I am trying to remember a good player with such a poor use of the arm and I can't remember one right now. Timo Boll has incredible levels of forearm and wrist snap when you look closely at his stroke. I don't know any good player whose arm doesn't move independently of their core rotation. This stroke has the arm movement chained to the core rotation.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/22/2016 at 3:04am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 4:24am
I think you are "swiping" the ball a little, rather than brushing/hitting it forward, because your swing movement is too sideway. I believe a more forward swing will improve your FH loops. Perhaps it's related to what NextLevel said about the use of the arm. I think he is right about that.
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 6:32am
Thank you guys :)
this video is made last year 04.2015

soon i will upload a video in nowadays to see my improvment(if any of course :D :D)
i am 30 years old so probably there is close to zero :D

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 8:58am
Originally posted by balldance balldance wrote:

I think you are "swiping" the ball a little, rather than brushing/hitting it forward, because your swing movement is too sideway. I believe a more forward swing will improve your FH loops. Perhaps it's related to what NextLevel said about the use of the arm. I think he is right about that.

Watched the video and fully agree with balldance. Easiest way to fix this would be to make your bat end up in the "salute stance". You would need to know how to move your lower/upper arm correctly for this. 

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 9:12am

For the most part it is fine in my opinion.

My only comment would be to push down into the floor with your right foot just before ball contact and “push through” your contact zone.  In other words don't “slap” at the ball “push through” the ball. You unload the pressure on your foot a little too soon which makes your stroke a little unstable through the contact zone.  Also maybe a little bit later timing which means letting the ball fall a little bit more before you push into it.

DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 3:53pm
If possible, could the OP post a video in which you do the counter hit?
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 8:26pm
I wonder if you were stiffer than usual because you knew the camera was on and you don't record yourself very often?  I see that a lot.  One sign is that you were mishitting a lot.   

I just think you need to be a bit more relaxed and just let it flow.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic