Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DHS Skyline 3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DHS Skyline 3
    Posted: 08/04/2006 at 1:04pm

A couple of days ago I opened up my new package of DHS's latest rubber supposedly used by Ma Lin and Liu Gouzheng in the recent WTTC06.

Straight out of the package the rubber looks almost identical to its predecessors H2 and H3 with a few tiny differences. The rubber is slightly more translucent (very slightly, dont get your hopes up) and the sponge (I got 2.2mm 39 deg hardness) looks pretty much the same as the sponge the provincial H3 generally gets bundled with. The back of the sponge had a gritty feel, on close inspection tiny ridges could be seen.

I primed the rubber with 3 coats of Sanding speed glue the day before and another coat last night before playing.

I tested the rubber on my Gergely Carbon (most definately not what I would recommend for Chinese rubbers at all).

The Sky3 made by bat really heavy instantly reminding me of why I have always shunned Chinese rubbers, at least it was slightly lighter than the rock stone Hurricane series but only just.

Sky3 is still a low throw rubber, if anything slightly higher than the H's but it produces really fast, deep drives all with that cracking Lin Ju sound that all the Chinese guys are making.

Serves were spinny with this rubber and flips and drives were effortless, I had real problems with blocking (absolutely no feeling) and pushing spinny serves back.

In truth, I really should have tested this rubber like the Chinese do on a springy Stiga or Stiga-like wooden blade. Its clearly an upgrade on the Hurricane series and the quality control and packaging are clearly better. (My Chinese coach also tested the rubber and confirms that Sky3 is faster than H3)

If you like H3 or H2 you will clearly love Sky3 (slightly faster, spinnier and lighter)but if you were hoping for a Eurolike rubber at Chinese prices (BTW Sky costs quite a bit more than H2and 3) Then you'll have to wait some more.

Sponsored Links

phrixion View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phrixion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 5:51pm
I picked up a sheet of DHS Skyline 3 in China and waiting to try it out... using H3 at the moment... I really like the tacky topsheet.
Blade: Whatever is close
Rubber Sheet: Whatever still has some grip.
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 8:06pm
Definitely a better version of the Hurricane series rubbers.  Better control, better for looping and easier service - and more like Provincial/National H3 than anything else.  The sponge felt much more springy.  It soaked up speed glue much better as well.  Not like commercial H3 where you need to prime the sponge and maybe 2 - 3 sessions later the sponge is good to go.  I thought it was slightly lighter to commercial H3.  Not much though.
Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 8:06pm
Definitely a better version of the Hurricane series rubbers.  Better control, better for looping and easier service - and more like Provincial/National H3 than anything else.  The sponge felt much more springy.  It soaked up speed glue much better as well.  Not like commercial H3 where you need to prime the sponge and maybe 2 - 3 sessions later the sponge is good to go.  I thought it was slightly lighter to commercial H3.  Not much though.
Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
bigreddawgie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigreddawgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 11:24pm
i dont like skyline.  h3 still better
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 11:38pm
 . . .  and the reason being?  faster? Feel?
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2006 at 1:35am
Thanks Petermoo, we missed your reviews.  Keep them coming.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
iamconfounded View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamconfounded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2006 at 1:45am

I don't like sky3 either...  less springy and lower throw (without glue) than H2.  Sky3 has better control at the expense of speed and a smaller dynamic range.  Yes, better sponge, softer topsheet, but hardly anything to write home about.  If you don't glue, and like H2 or H3, better to stick with those.

PangLionel View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PangLionel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2006 at 6:05am
Originally posted by iamconfounded iamconfounded wrote:

I don't like sky3 either...  less springy and lower throw (without glue) than H2.  Sky3 has better control at the expense of speed and a smaller dynamic range.  Yes, better sponge, softer topsheet, but hardly anything to write home about.  If you don't glue, and like H2 or H3, better to stick with those.

Agreed.Whats most important is a rubber that fits your playing style.Not because its new and used by the pros.They have their own style,you have yours.Sky2 and Sky3 just provide more choices to the consumer.Alot of people are still sticking on to H3 as it suits the playing style of most people.

jimmyso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2006 at 5:23pm
Is it suitable/possible to play skyline 3 on a sweden carbon blade, because topsheet and sponge are softer than h3??? My is the (new) Super Carbon and imo its not that stiff. I know that its recommended to use chinese rubber on all wood stiga blades. Has anybody some experience with chinese rubber on carbon blades or harder all-wood blades like for example Clipper???
Butterfly Viscaria FL
DHS Hurricane 3 2.2 black
Butterfly Tenergy 1.9 red
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2006 at 6:59pm

You can use any type rubber with any type of blade.  It's personal preference.

Clipper is a fast blade.  And if you have the CR, it is very hard.  But I would suggest a rubber with control.  Skyline is a good rubber and is medium soft so it would defintely have control.  But it wouldn't have as much speed as you are used to with your Bryce.  It would be more like your Sriver EL but tackier.  I've used Skyline on a Stiga Energy and Cliper CR WRB and it works fine.  I'd worry more about how it feels to your stroke rather than how it feels on a particular blade manufacturer.

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2006 at 9:52pm
SDRamones pare, gaano kabigat yung skyline 3 compared sa h2 n h3 and sa ritc na hindi orange ang sponges?
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2006 at 10:41pm

I'll have to get back to you on the weights, but which specific RITC were you speaking of?

I'll find my scale and try to figure out the weights for you as soon as I can.

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2006 at 3:47pm

From the few sheets I have, H3, Provincial H3 and Skyline 3 are about the same weight cut.  Pretty heavy.  Around 47-50 grams cut.  While Skyline 2 is about 2 grams uncut less in weight.  So cut weight would be about 1 gram difference maybe a little more.

Even out of the box, the Skyline 3 is very flat and stiff like H3.  Skyline 2 had some dome to it out of the package.  The one thing I did notice from the very start is that Skyline 2/3 is very sticky.  The have a very soft topsheet.  Sponge is very similar to H3 but not exactly.  Similar sound when hte rubbers are hit as well.

If you like H3 then Skyline 3 is a more similar than is Skyline 2.  But at $5USD more some are willing to make a change. 

I personally like it because it is tackier and has a little more control.  I don't like the fact it's more expensive, but it is a better alternative to paying for National or Provincial Prices.  It fills a gap in the market that the H3 and H2 doesn't fill.

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2006 at 8:35pm
ughhh i stoppped using h2 coz of the weight and my blade is too heavy maybe ill consider using wang nan jap sponeg as a replacement for my hurricanes
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2006 at 11:30pm
i personally didn't like the skyline 3 as much as h3, its softer and slightly thinner topsheet. i really like hard hard sponges so i wasn't too fanatic about the sponge under it. (i'm using a soft sponge rubber right now cuz its dirt cheap hehe)
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
jimmyso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2006 at 2:23pm
skyline 3 on my Super Carbon is quite comfortable...and with glue its not that slow. It's just a little bit slower than Bryce. But the fact that it creates a lower arc makes it even faster than Bryce when it comes to 3rd ball topspinattack.
My Skyline brought in China is definatly ligher, softer than H3, but is not stickier.
I've primed it with 3 coats energy the day before...and before playing I put 2 coats on it.
It's just a little harder than my Bryce with two coats energy.
At the moment Skyline 3 on my wood is to me the non-plus setup.So the question is...should I try an all-woodblade like OC, Tube Off or Clipper, so that the performance gets even better that it is now.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2006 at 9:11pm
that's odd.  I can pick up a ball off the ground with my Skyline 2/3.  That's how sticky mines is glued.
Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
jimmyso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2006 at 9:39am
I can, too. But H3 is stickier.
So what about the blade?Should I trie an allwood-blade and which one?
Butterfly Viscaria FL
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2006 at 9:15pm
I've always liked the Clipper.  The softer Skyline with a hard faced Clipper would go well with each other.  But that's just me.  Preference I guess.
Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
crizKyr729 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crizKyr729 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2006 at 11:14pm
im also planning to use skyline3 as a sub to my defensive game?? on a joo se hyuk blade...
crizKyr729 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crizKyr729 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2006 at 11:16pm
im using h3 on my fh, planning to chnge with skyline...
Balint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2006 at 1:31am
Chinese rubbers not match with hard blades like Gergely carbon. The Skylines are super on Stiga OC Cr or Nittaku Violin "All wood" not that stiff blades.
Butterfly Timo Boll Spirit
FH: DHS SKYLINE 3 2.2mm
BH: DHS SKYLINE 3 2.2mm
Glue SZIKO PREMIUM SPEED ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic