FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Grip problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
backhand_crane View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backhand_crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grip problems
    Posted: 04/09/2016 at 1:43pm
I use a handshake grip. I noticed that my forehand shots become more accurate and my backhand shots suffer the more that my index finger moves closer to 180 degrees (parallel) with the bottom of the rubber. Despite what my previous coach had suggested, I see that this is not a proper grip!

I find myself either committing one way or another during play and suffering on either one side or another OR I try switching when I anticipate the ball soon enough and hope I have enough time for an accurate return.

What should I do?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2016 at 2:04pm
Do you want to remain backhand_crane?
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2016 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by backhand_crane backhand_crane wrote:

I use a handshake grip. I noticed that my forehand shots become more accurate and my backhand shots suffer the more that my index finger moves closer to 180 degrees (parallel) with the bottom of the rubber. Despite what my previous coach had suggested, I see that this is not a proper grip!

I find myself either committing one way or another during play and suffering on either one side or another OR I try switching when I anticipate the ball soon enough and hope I have enough time for an accurate return.

What should I do?

Thanks!

To get proper feedback, you need to post pictures or video.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2016 at 6:59pm
There is variation even among very good players on exactly how to grip the racket.  And lots of good players even make small changes in their grips when going from Fh to Bh shots.  Find several instructional videos on youtube that include information on gripping the racket and then find something within the general range from the videos that feels right for you.

I find that I play best with a grip that has my index finger pointed up at about a 30 degree angle (0 deg=parallel to bottom edge of rubber and 90deg=pointed straight up parallel to handle).  My wrist has problems and my thumb flexes in a slightly odd way so I am not making a general recommendation of that angle.  Just pointing out that within a certain reasonable range, a player can find a grip that suits them best.

Mark
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2016 at 9:59pm
Also, messing around with your grip can quickly take you to the ninth circle of table tennis hell.  It may be worth it but not always.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2016 at 12:22am
Fix a grip and practise more with it, it will slowly become natural for you. Index finger being parallel to the bottom of the rubber is the norm for modern players nowadays.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic