FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Fast blade + slow rubbers vs Slow Blade + fast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fast blade + slow rubbers vs Slow Blade + fast
    Posted: 04/20/2016 at 12:31am
What are the principle differences between (mainly chopping/defending) using a fast blade + slow rubbers in comparison to a slow blade with fast rubbers?

I don't know of too many pros who chop with a fast blade. Gionis was using a custom oversized korbel? 

The Joo Se Hyuk seems to be pretty fast. Though mine weighed in at 103 grams, plus double inverted so it was over 203 grams when all glued up! 

I was chopping with the Liu Shiwen blade as well, somewhat effectively. I find the true "defensive" blades are a bit too slow for my "A" game style -- mainly that off attack, attack, attack! Until forced to defend. So I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to invest in some slower rubbers (tackiness chop 2, reflectoid, geospin, juic 999, tibhar super defense etc.) and slap them onto the offensive blades. 

And on the flipside... do defensive blades with tenergy etc. play offense that well? 

Any experiences to share? Know of any pros who use a fast blade to defend with? Or offensive players who use defensive equipment? 
Sponsored Links

rickywinataa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickywinataa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2016 at 1:22am
You can get a high-end blade that is intended for defensive players but at least inverted wise, I've never found a high-end rubber that is slow.

There's innershield ZLF although i've never used it myself. At least it should be lighter (mid 80s to low 90s)

Edited by rickywinataa - 04/20/2016 at 1:23am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2016 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by rickywinataa rickywinataa wrote:

You can get a high-end blade that is intended for defensive players but at least inverted wise, I've never found a high-end rubber that is slow.

There's innershield ZLF although i've never used it myself. At least it should be lighter (mid 80s to low 90s)

I was thinking of trying to chop with something like a garaydia alc or innerforce layer alc, using thin defensive rubbers. My defensive blades are great for the chops and whatnot, but pretty mushy in the attacking department. I guess it depends on how often you plan to attack, the trade-off there. 
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2016 at 7:21pm
For me I would go fast blade slow rubbers, this enables good speed on a hard hit but no catapult in the short game,blocking requires more effort, however inversely fast rubbers on slow blade will be worse in the short game and better at blocking.
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2016 at 10:17pm
My approach is pretty much the opposite. I have a few well-known all-around blades (Off-, Off). I use fast spinny tensors on FH in max with slow LP on the BH usually under 1.0mm. This combo allows me to chop from both sides yet I am still able to loop with power from mid-distance.  
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2016 at 10:20pm
In terms of weight, all of my blades are between 90 and 92, a bit on the heavy side, but not JSH-heavy.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2016 at 12:27am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

People like apw46 and ddreamer use slow blades (allround classic) with fast rubbers (t05 for apw46) and their offense is pretty good given their 2300-2400 level.
Tb alc is my absolute benchmark and a few weeks ago I purchased a couple used violoncello blades (88 and 89g) to answer your question. I did not play any matches with it yet but I expect better serving, looping and rallying capabilities; of course serve return should be better too. My comparison tests -on the robot only- were done with airoc m 1.9, mx-p 2.0, lkt torrent rubbers. No doubt in my mind slower blade with bouncy fast rubbers is better for me. The Tb alc with slow rubbers feels always so mushy and dead. The violoncello with airoc m on the bh is divine while I had a mitigated feel with mx-p on the fh of that def blade. I think it will play better with a bouncier softer rubber like rhyzm 42.5 in max.

I had swapped to a slow, over-sized defensive blade with tenergy 05 fx's on both sides. The control was immediately noticeable in comparison to the garaydia blades I had been using! And I guess by control here, I mean the speed. The ball was slower in every shot, and had far less catapult when leaving the blade. That made my percentage of shots landed on the table increase instantly. 

The last club day that I tested it at, I won all of my matches, for what good that is worth! I've ordered some thin rubbers (tsp chop rubber in 1-1.3mm and some tibhar defense 1.3-1.5mm and a few others) to try out on the faster blades. I'd tested reflectoid 2.0 on some offensive blades like the liu shiwen and timo boll w7. It does seem to slow down the ball a bit, but for the w7, that stiff 7 ply feel is still present. You don't get the sense of dwell time that you do with the slower blades. Whether that is just mental or if it is having an effect on the actual spin, who knows! 

I hear contradicting statements on that point. Some people say the faster/thicker rubbers will put MORE spin on the ball, but are harder to control. While others say a thinner sponge will help put more spin on the ball because of the extra dwell time and ability to swing harder without overshooting the table. You've got guys like the belarus chopper EC who use the really thin rubbers and chop 24/7. Vs choppers like Joo who use faster blades and thicker sponges, as they attack with greater frequency and power. So far, I think the absolute most soul-sucking speed-zapping rubber I've used is the Spinlord Marder! That thing is like dropping the ball into a bucket of tar! 

At the top end level I can't see offensive blades being too good for chopping, hence why none of the pros use them. Yes, yes, the greek chopper uses a korbel or some such... but he is quite offensive! His ratio of attack/fish/lob to chop is probably about even or siding with the attacks. So it's understandable why he'd prefer that sort. At the club level, who knows! I was chopping with a garaydia t5000 LOL the fastest blade in the butterfly line up. 
Vlad0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2016 at 2:16am
IMO even defensive blades are fast enough, so if the game is mixed, slower blade and varying with rubbers is much better. My partner is modern defender and changed many blades before. I tested all and didn't find any slow blade with max T05 or some other offensive on FH, so i can't see the reason trying to limit the speed  of faster blades. Actually the word "slow" describing blades is very wrong. That's why many starting players get fast blades LOL
TB ALC 86gr + D09c/T05
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic