FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

If you could take a quick look at this

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TableTennisMenice View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TableTennisMenice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you could take a quick look at this
    Posted: 04/29/2016 at 12:36am
It's definitely not my best gameplay and I lost of lot of silly points but I'm trying to get better with my game. Any advice or critique would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by TableTennisMenice - 04/29/2016 at 2:12pm
Table Tennis till I die.
Sponsored Links

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2016 at 1:56pm
First, you need to edit the link.  It does not need both "http" and "https".

A couple of things jumped out at me.

1. Your pushes seem to be slow and popped up almost all the time.  I did not see one consistent error but I did see a couple of different ones that could be contributing to this:
a) Extending your arm completely when ball is shorter instead of stepping in with your right foot.  This usually results in the blade opening up more than you intended, thus popping up the ball.

b)Taking some of the deeper underspin balls right off the bounce instead of waiting and letting them rise and come off the table.  Usually you end up just lifting the ball instead of stroking through it.  It can be done that way, but it is difficult and is generally only successfully done by more advanced players.

c) Blocking the pushes instead of stroking through the ball.  You start the stroke but stop right at the ball.  In order to compensate, you open up the blade angle, lift the racket up a little, and hit the ball with more of a solid contact (like blocking) than normally used when pushing.

2. Your Fh drive stroke seems to be more piston like than circular.  This is usually a result of not using enough body turn to take the racket back and forward and instead using just the arm.  If you use mostly body the racket goes back and forward in more of a 1/4 circular motion.   If you use mainly arm the racket/forearm moves more straight back and forward like a horizontal piston.  The piston motion makes it hard to generate really good topspin.

3. It looked like you hit some nice low and short serves, but difficult to be sure due to the filming angle. 

4. When Bh looping underspin I think you need to drop the racket lower and rotate the tip of the racket more downward (you stay sideways with tip for both topspin and underspin balls).  I do like the forearm snap and the full wrist action on your Bh against both top and underspin.

If you have not done it yet, I would suggest looking at the basic free videos at www.pingskills.com and www.ttedge.com.  Very good references for the mechanics of the basic strokes.  If you do not have access to coaching and are serious about improving I would consider subscribing to one of them.

Mark

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TableTennisMenice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2016 at 2:09pm
Thank you so much for the detailed feedback! I'm still quite new and just starting out entering tournaments so I'm still learning. I do agree with the observation on my forehand loops as they do look very odd compared to more professional players. I also feel like I started on a paddle that was too fast for me to handle and I never really got to learn the very basic strokes. I noticed when I use a friends paddle who plays mainly all around offense and defence that I perform a lot more consistant and make difficult shots much easier than I would with my racket. I'll try to use this information and learn from it, I had not initially anticipated this much feedback but I appreciate it. I did also notice how high my pushes were compared to other players. I know my footwork needs some improvement and I'll have to practice pushing but I feel the tackiness of my rubber makes it harder for me to be confident in pushing serves over because if there is too much spin or if I had not initially read the serve right, then the ball will be launched from my paddle. I think it would be in my best interest to downgrade my setup until I learn better mechanics. I'm still very new and improving relatively fast... and my first sanctioned tournament is coming up so fingers crossed. 
Table Tennis till I die.
amoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2016 at 4:20pm
where do you play at? and can i join?
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2016 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by TableTennisMenice TableTennisMenice wrote:

It's definitely not my best gameplay and I lost of lot of silly points but I'm trying to get better with my game. Any advice or critique would be greatly appreciated.

When you receive the serve your feet are square to the table.  I think that is because your first thought is a backhand stroke.  I would move the right foot back a few inches and use your forehand more.  What forehand I did see looked pretty good.  I couldn't tell but it looks like when you are receiving the serve you're in the middle of the table.  Move to the left and get your forehand more involved. 

Your pushes look more like punches.  Try having a flatter paddle and push though and under the ball more.  As Mark said, you need to step in on those pushes.

Your "backspin" serves have very little backspin.  It almost looks like you're chopping down on the back of the ball.  Think of backspin as underspin and brush the bottom of the ball.

The camera angle made it difficult to tell for sure what you're doing.

Good luck in your tournament.  In my first tournament I lost to a 9 year old kid and an old man with a cane.  I still lose to 9 year old's, but I can beat the old man with the cane.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TableTennisMenice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2016 at 8:16pm
I live in the quad cities so it's quite a ways from chicago. But if you're ever in the Quad Cities you should come check us out. 
Table Tennis till I die.
amoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 12:48am
ah will do. thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic